2002 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
After two years...
By G.M., Virginia on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I ordered my A4 Avant with the Sport Suspension and Summer Performance Tires without being able to test drive one set up that way. What a hoot! The car tracks like it's on rails! To the person who complained that the Sport Suspension wasn't a "luxury" ride... DUH! If you want a luxury ride you don't order a Sport Suspension. The Audi A4 Avant handles as well as my wife's BMW (maybe better) and is plenty fast (especially using the tiptronic... which I personally like better than a manual). The car has been 100% reliable and, in my opinion, is one of the best looking cars on the road. What's not to love?

A4...avoid it like a plague
By John Taaffe on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

When its actually working...its a nice ride. Expect it be in the shop as much as its on the road. I have had this car for 2 years, with less then 28,000 miles...and since the day I drove it off the lot I have had problems with it. Audi ( local and corporate ) will only CONTINUE to fix the car under terms of the warranty. If you are looking a good love/hate relationship with a car..then this is your car!! Otherwise, avoid it like a plague!!!

horrible experience
By steve7968@aol.com on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm the owner of a 2002 A4 1.8T quattro....car broke down 3 times within a year, was stuck 50 miles from my home in 20 degree weather with my wife & 80 year old mother- in-law (who suffers from alzheimers) for over 4 hours until roadside assistance pickedup car.... dealer would not approve rental car until they saw car (being roadside asssitance took so long- dealer was closed!!!)... horrid experience, feel very unsafe in car, will never drive again! 2 years left on lease.....

Buyer Beware
By lemondriver on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This Audi is a nightmare. I had a 1999 2.8Q, it was a great car. I wish I had it back. This car has spent a cumlative 2.5 months at the dealer since Dec. 02.A brief list of mechanical issues, ignition coil, 3 Clutches, 2 windshield wiper motors,a incredibly squeaky drivers seat, trunk latch failing while vehicle was being driven,twice. malfunctioning factory cd changer. Audi customer service is non-existent and rude. The car broke down out of state and the local dealer refused to fix it, because they didnt sell the car. I had to pay several hundred dollars in tow charges. Audi refuses to reimburse any of those or rent a car charges. Run away from this car!

Solid, Safe & Fun
By Fegs229 on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My first luxury car was worth the wait. Solid car, feels safe to drive and has the features to back up the claims. Fit & finish excellent inside and out. 3.0L engine with the CVT is smooooth and fast. I love the extra power it delivers at high speeds, passes others without straining. Amazing car for the money. Drove the BMW-3 and chose the A4 for FWdrive and price. My wife wouldn't drive this car for the first 1 1/2 years, too powerful. Now I can't get it back from her.

Beware of temperature sensitive glass
By NDanger on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

rear hatch/door window is very fragile in extremely cold temps. Currently waiting 5-6 weeks for replacement.... from Germany!

I love this car
By car-ooo-so on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just bought the car certified used for the wife and I'm actually considering getting an SUV for her so that I can have the Audi for myself. I love it that much. The Audi engineers put so much thought into what they design that I'm still being surprised by neat little features. My car came with the sport package and, like what was mentioned in an earlier review, the 1.8 is a bit underpowered for the extra handling. The car sure handles, though, and even better than many sports cars I've driven. Nice work Audi.

Good thing there's a 50K warranty
By VJD66 on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the A4 for its looks, both interior and exterior, and truly is a fun car to drive. It's comfortable yet sporty, with a tight ride. Just try to do doughnuts in the snow - this thing grips like a vice. The Bose system is awesome. Had an oil leak at 25K, the recall for the coils, door lock and horn stopped working and both needed to be replaced, and now there's a noticeably rough idle and strong gas/exhaust smell that appeared out of nowhere, but dealer says nothing found. Not a long term keeper in my opinion, but an excellent 3 year or 4 year car for the ride, handling and status.

The Best 4x4 Sports Wagon Out There
By Avanteman on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

1st. The Audi Dealership is hands above all the others in this class i.e. I had a bad experience at a Subaru Dealership and a local VW Dealership. So far, we love the Audi. The 3.0 is fun to smooth, fun to drive and fast. All the little extras are nice. Both my wife and I love this car. We looked at alot of cars and for the price, this car rocks. The certified pre-owned warranty is great at 100G. I would recommend this car to anyone. Note, we are coming from a Subaru that started breaking down after 100G. Time will tell. Zoom Zoom

Watch out!
By Unhappy Ken on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun to drive, espically with the CVT. Seating takes some getting used to. The climate control system IS A FAILURE. When cold outside it is hot inside. When the temperature setting is 64 deg.F the cabin stays at 74. This is the LOWEST temperature available. Audi service has tried to fix it at least 5 times and finally concluded that it is "Operating within specification" since ALL of the cars do the same thing. All of them are wrong according to the mechanic. Also experienced many other failures that have been fixed.