Used 2002 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Not for long commutes
By AO

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is cute and fun. But don't drive it too much. By 2007, with all the repairs we've already done and those still coming up, this car has depreciated like a rock and we're left holding the bag, wondering when our next $2,000 repair bill will come up. The overcomplicated German design leaves even the smallest repairs costing more than they should, and the benefit - our cute car - has been blackened by our repair bills.

Smooth like butter, but eats up coils
By MysteryDyke

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We've owned this baby since its birth. The paint and fit and finish are still like new. The 1.8T quattro w 5spd manual has plenty of power and is great in snow. No real issues but we're on our 3rd set of ignition coils ($400 ea time). Our horn kept shorting out until they finally fixed the bracket (5 repairs later). The power steering fluid has a slow leak and ANY routine repair is pricey ($83 to replace 2 burnt out tail light bulbs!), but the ride and handling are still superb. We still love our A4 and it's just like new after 5+ years. Would highly recommend this car.

The ride! Tight, controlled, but never harsh. Great seats. Plenty of zip to the 1.8 liter turbo with manual transmission.

Fix the coils. They keep burning out suggesting a design flaw. Quit blaming Bosch for bad parts and fix the real problem. And leaking power steering is also a recurring A4 theme.

One of the worst cars I have ever owned
By Sunny

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Loads of electrical gremlins. Spontaneously the alarm used to go off when I first got it. Radio problems, speakers cutting in and out, tweeter still busted. Dealers want $300 to replace a battery, recently paid $475 to diagnose and replace 3 feet of vacuum hose for a check engine light. Brakes were shot in 36,000 miles (my other car was good for 50,000 so it is not my driving) and tires the same. It was fun to drive when I bought it. Should have bought reliability. Maybe mine was just a lemon but I would not shop Audi/VW again.

It was a fun car to drive but the fun is gone.

What a great design
By Mike B

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The driver's experience is clearly what the engineers had in mind when designing this car. The engine delivery and transmission shifts are silky smooth. The turbo layout turns a usually puny 1.8 litre 4 banger into a fun and almost organic feeling torquey little animal! Audi has designed the drivetrain well. The interior and exterior both have the same concept in mind. Clean and sexy lookin. Some of my friends chuckle at me getting the wagon but I love it. It's just way to versitile to pass up. I play hockey and have a Big German Shepherd. I need the space. The other day I had three big dogs in the back and they all had room to lie down and relax on our trip.

The simple sexy design. The drivetrain performance and smoothness. The fuel economy. The handling is top notch. Overall I just really enjoy driving this car. Great sound system also. I love the room also.

This car needs a 6 speed, come on Audi! I'm at too high an RPM at highway speeds. The seat recliner wheel seems silly. I'm worried about electrical issues from other's reviews. I have had one issue with the radio. The cup holders and center arm rest are kind of awkward.

Transmission Killer
By Audi A4 3.0

2002 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love the way this car looks, feels and drives, however... We just put in our third new replacement transmission!! The car has been in the shop for 4 months out of the last two years. The mechanic had to order the tranny from Germany as they are on back order in the US. The transmissions are about $7000 a piece. Thank God for extended warranties!! Buyer beware.

The look and feel. It's a very solid vehicle, and it handles extremely well when it's not in the shop.

• SUV