Used 2002 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Great Car
By Walter

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first Audi that I've owned and have been nothing but satisfied with this car and Audi. The car looks great on the interior and exterior and is a great value for the money. Not to mention, it is fun to drive, gets decent gas mileage and is incredibly safe. I was in an accident in this car where someone hit me in the passenger door when running a red light. The car was damaged but I was able to get out completely unharmed. A friend was in a similar accident and her car was totaled and she had back injuries. This car is safe, fun, and all about luxury.

Favorite Features

Safety, heated seats, looks

Suggested Improvements

Different placement of cupholders! They are horrible! The one above the radio spills everything.

Downhill After 45K
By disappointed

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 45K miles, my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T (now at 53K miles) began to require very expensive repairs that I never needed for other vehicles I owned with over 100k miles. I had to replace the phlange that connected the coolant system to the engine, the steering rack and pinion, the windshield/headlight washing fluid pump and motor, and the dealer says that I need to soon replace engine gaskets. I do not know much about the mechanics of cars, but from my experience, it is unusual that such major repairs would be required on a vehicle that still has relatively low mileage and is owned by someone who is very diligent with all of the routine maintenance. Wish I had purchased the extended warranty!

Favorite Features

Beautiful car. Handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Audi needs to improve the quality of the parts in the A4.

Do not buy
By Megan

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car thinking it was going to be reliable. After 2 years we had to replace the engine, now at 100,000 miles we need a new transmission. It has been one thing after the other and I will never buy an Audi ever again. Nobs all wear or fall off, interior tears, head lights burn out every 2 seconds. Not only have I spent tons of money having to repair the car I want to get rid of it and it isn't worth anything, horrible resale. Bad bad bad, that is all I have to say!

Favorite Features

The exterior look and large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY. Everything about that car is horrible quality!

This is Audi #3
By Victory

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the third Audi for me. I bought my first one used w/60,000 miles- an Audi 90 and donated it with 173,000 on it. It was great. I bought an Audi 90 brand new and put 194,000 miles on it. Another great driving car. Now I have an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro 6sp. manual and I love it. It had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and not a scratch on it. I love the summer package (wide wheels) but they ride rough. The winter tired were great for Ohio snow.

Favorite Features

The handling of an Audi and its reliability is what keeps me coming back to them.

Suggested Improvements

Because of the 3.0 engine this one isn't so fuel efficient but the amenities so makes up for this negative aspect.

Not for long commutes
By AO

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is cute and fun. But don't drive it too much. By 2007, with all the repairs we've already done and those still coming up, this car has depreciated like a rock and we're left holding the bag, wondering when our next $2,000 repair bill will come up. The overcomplicated German design leaves even the smallest repairs costing more than they should, and the benefit - our cute car - has been blackened by our repair bills.