2002 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Great little car
By Lyle H. on 08/21/09 10:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I originally bought the 5sp. manual Audi A4 1.8t used with 95,000 miles on the odometer. 15 minutes after driving it away from the dealer, the car nearly broke down, so we drove it back and they replaced an engine coil and all was fine. I went about 10,000 miles with an oil change every 3k miles, and one day when I started it up the engine was acting funny and the check engine and oil light came on, indicating that there were signs of oil sludge buildup, which I read is quite common in the 1.8t, due to design flaw. Now, the radio acts up. However I love this car regardless. Such a fun, attractive, luxurious little car.

Get the 3.0
By audilove on 04/23/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well it looks like I see a trend here. The 1.8T seem to have reliability issues while the 3.0 seem to run strong. I have owned mine for a year and love it. It's my second Audi, my first being an 80Q that I put 300k miles on. I will say that these cars require your attention. By that I mean don't skimp on maintenance. If there are issues, fix them IMMEDIATELY or it can get very expensive (i.e. ignore replacing a $25 coil pack and you could spend $1000 on a new cat). I will also say you need to keep the interior conditioned, it doesn't like being left to dry out on hot days.

Audi does it best
By JT on 01/27/09 13:18 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I leased my A4 because I wasn't sure I would like driving a stick after a lot of years of automatics but this car changed all that. It has been a fantastic performer in all kinds of weather conditions and having a stick takes me back to when I was 16. I liked the A4 so much, I bought it outright and bought a 2 year warranty extension from the dealer. Had a couple of repairs made under the warranty but overall I have no complaints with the cars reliability up to this point with 58K miles on it. I got everything available except Bose audio and Xenon headlights. Heated seats are great in winter and very comfortable. This is the best car I ever owned.. and I've owned 11 different cars.

Waiting for the other shoes to drop
By Tim H on 12/10/08 15:42 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've put a steady 12K a year on this car in a mix of city & freeway driving, up to the 75K I have now. After the 4- year lease was up, which coincided with the 50K-mile warranty, I bought the car outright and on a hunch bought a 70K- mile extended warranty. Great hunch! It paid for itself twice over, but now that it has expired I'm dreading the next major expense and wondering what it will be. Though I still love the vehicle, its looks & ride, it may be time to move on before the pit of mechanical-breakdown hell opens up. One amazing point: At 75K miles I have never needed new brakes thanks to careful driving and downshifting rather than braking at every opportunity (though I will soon)

Lemon Aid
By Susan on 12/07/08 06:58 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Too many expensive repairs has taken the fun out of this car. I will miss the way it drives and extras, like the Bose stereo system, when I soon buy something different.

75k and still going
By JJA on 11/19/08 12:28 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Audi (prev 4000CS) and am pleased with the way the car has performed. I first bought the auto in Seattle and had shipped to Europe (wanted US specs) and had it up to 128 mph. It drove flawless on the Autostrata! I purchased with the Phatbox and so I can enjoy my MP3s. The leatherette seats hold up better than the real leather seats my friend purchased with his Audi A4. Only big issue is that you must change the extended oil religeously with the turbo motor as it will cook the oil in the return pipe and cause the warning light to come on. It's a costly fix so beware. Overall the car is joy to drive when I can get away from my wife. Economical yet has power. Love it!

Would buy another Audi A4 1.8T
By Silver Bullet on 10/31/08 22:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Audi A4 was recently totalled. Since its gone, I can fully appreciate what I had. Exterior design was so much so that I didn't want to trade it in for a newer model. The engine lagged a little at slower speeds, but remained smooth and controllable at higher speeds, including quick turns. Seating was good. Heated and light dimming mirrors were a bonus. Many, hard to find features were a bonus as well. This car was my Silver Bullet. I had normal wear issues, but they were expected. No electrical issues to report. The moonroof was quiet and the all around heated seats, power up and down windows made everyone comfortable. Looking to by another A4 or A6 soon.

Will Cost You a Ton
By pweed8 on 09/12/08 15:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My A4 was great under warranty, too bad that expired at 50,000 miles. Lately it's cost about $600 a month just to keep it running, and I've only got 90,000 miles on it. Oh and the dealership just told me I needed to replace the timing belt ($1,350) when I took it in to get checked out for the class action suit against Audi. So needless to say I will never buy another Audi agian or ever recommend anyone buy one.

May I have Another!
By Shaughn357 on 06/17/08 20:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was hesitant to purchase another VW built car after the dismal experience I had with my 1999 VW Passat but I went ahead and purchsed a 2002 Audi Quattro A4. I am very happy with the car. I drive my cars hard and put at least 20k miles/year commuting to work and I have yet to experience any major problems. The car handles great on the highway and in third gear at 3000rpm, there isn't many cars she cannot pass. The secret to keeping these cars in great shape is to find a reputable mechanic who knows and works on Audi cars daily. Knowing that I drive my cars hard i take it in the shop about every two months for a checkup. I was also prudent and purchased the 100k extended warranty.

Great Car
By Walter on 06/04/08 08:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first Audi that I've owned and have been nothing but satisfied with this car and Audi. The car looks great on the interior and exterior and is a great value for the money. Not to mention, it is fun to drive, gets decent gas mileage and is incredibly safe. I was in an accident in this car where someone hit me in the passenger door when running a red light. The car was damaged but I was able to get out completely unharmed. A friend was in a similar accident and her car was totaled and she had back injuries. This car is safe, fun, and all about luxury.