Used 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Typical Euro car with high maintenance requirements
By baldya4

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned the car since new with 220K miles. It has never been to the dealer or private mechanic except for the initial free maint and the few minor recalls. However, that is not to say it has not had its share of anomalies. Three timing belts, 3 water pumps, 3 batteries, One fuel pump, too many coil packs to count, one temp sensor, two valve cover gaskets and one thermostat. All this may sound horrible and it probably would be if I had no mechanical aptitude or desire to do my own repairs. The car is actually easy to work on. Very modular in the way things come apart. Information is readily available on the Net. I've kept this car because the 1.8T engine block is bullet proof.

1. Driving dynamics. Handling, braking and overall feel of the car. 2. Looks. Exterior paint has held up well. Shines up nicely. 3. Easy to repair. The minor things that give this car a bad reputation might make some cringe. I find it easy to troubleshoot and repair. Parts get cheaper every year. 4.

The rubber coatings on the knobs and switches is too fragile for long term wear. There are many plastic pieces throughout the car that will get brittle over time and cause problems. I've heard it described as, "Bad German plastic" Who knows?

Waiting for the other shoes to drop
By Tim H

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've put a steady 12K a year on this car in a mix of city & freeway driving, up to the 75K I have now. After the 4- year lease was up, which coincided with the 50K-mile warranty, I bought the car outright and on a hunch bought a 70K- mile extended warranty. Great hunch! It paid for itself twice over, but now that it has expired I'm dreading the next major expense and wondering what it will be. Though I still love the vehicle, its looks & ride, it may be time to move on before the pit of mechanical-breakdown hell opens up. One amazing point: At 75K miles I have never needed new brakes thanks to careful driving and downshifting rather than braking at every opportunity (though I will soon)

Look of car, solid, quality feel and ride. Classic all the way.

Though a recent compression test shows I'm not leaking oil or excessively burning it, I'm certainly using it: a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic every couple of weeks. According to the mechanic, it's probably used mostly on the highway, not in the city. It takes a quart of Mobil One every 2 weeks.

75k and still going
By JJA

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Audi (prev 4000CS) and am pleased with the way the car has performed. I first bought the auto in Seattle and had shipped to Europe (wanted US specs) and had it up to 128 mph. It drove flawless on the Autostrata! I purchased with the Phatbox and so I can enjoy my MP3s. The leatherette seats hold up better than the real leather seats my friend purchased with his Audi A4. Only big issue is that you must change the extended oil religeously with the turbo motor as it will cook the oil in the return pipe and cause the warning light to come on. It's a costly fix so beware. Overall the car is joy to drive when I can get away from my wife. Economical yet has power. Love it!

The fact that you get great gas mileage and at the same time have power is awesome. I normally get 28-30 MPG with my Audi. It did 128MPH on the Autostrata in Italy (governor kicked in) and it was like I was going 55. Most cars at that speed would sound like a wind tunnel. Love the German engineering

Get rid of the cup holders. Too cheaply made and the European Audi's didn't even have them. Wish the seat heaters had a light to show they're on. My wife uses the heaters a lot and I discover after my back is all sweaty. Slightly larger side mirrors would be nice.

Downhill After 45K
By disappointed

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 45K miles, my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T (now at 53K miles) began to require very expensive repairs that I never needed for other vehicles I owned with over 100k miles. I had to replace the phlange that connected the coolant system to the engine, the steering rack and pinion, the windshield/headlight washing fluid pump and motor, and the dealer says that I need to soon replace engine gaskets. I do not know much about the mechanics of cars, but from my experience, it is unusual that such major repairs would be required on a vehicle that still has relatively low mileage and is owned by someone who is very diligent with all of the routine maintenance. Wish I had purchased the extended warranty!

Beautiful car. Handles well.

Audi needs to improve the quality of the parts in the A4.

Do not buy
By Megan

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car thinking it was going to be reliable. After 2 years we had to replace the engine, now at 100,000 miles we need a new transmission. It has been one thing after the other and I will never buy an Audi ever again. Nobs all wear or fall off, interior tears, head lights burn out every 2 seconds. Not only have I spent tons of money having to repair the car I want to get rid of it and it isn't worth anything, horrible resale. Bad bad bad, that is all I have to say!

The exterior look and large trunk.

QUALITY. Everything about that car is horrible quality!