2002 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Typical Euro car with high maintenance requirements
By baldya4 on 10/22/13 12:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned the car since new with 220K miles. It has never been to the dealer or private mechanic except for the initial free maint and the few minor recalls. However, that is not to say it has not had its share of anomalies. Three timing belts, 3 water pumps, 3 batteries, One fuel pump, too many coil packs to count, one temp sensor, two valve cover gaskets and one thermostat. All this may sound horrible and it probably would be if I had no mechanical aptitude or desire to do my own repairs. The car is actually easy to work on. Very modular in the way things come apart. Information is readily available on the Net. I've kept this car because the 1.8T engine block is bullet proof.

Waiting for the other shoes to drop
By Tim H on 12/10/08 15:42 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've put a steady 12K a year on this car in a mix of city & freeway driving, up to the 75K I have now. After the 4- year lease was up, which coincided with the 50K-mile warranty, I bought the car outright and on a hunch bought a 70K- mile extended warranty. Great hunch! It paid for itself twice over, but now that it has expired I'm dreading the next major expense and wondering what it will be. Though I still love the vehicle, its looks & ride, it may be time to move on before the pit of mechanical-breakdown hell opens up. One amazing point: At 75K miles I have never needed new brakes thanks to careful driving and downshifting rather than braking at every opportunity (though I will soon)

75k and still going
By JJA on 11/19/08 12:28 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Audi (prev 4000CS) and am pleased with the way the car has performed. I first bought the auto in Seattle and had shipped to Europe (wanted US specs) and had it up to 128 mph. It drove flawless on the Autostrata! I purchased with the Phatbox and so I can enjoy my MP3s. The leatherette seats hold up better than the real leather seats my friend purchased with his Audi A4. Only big issue is that you must change the extended oil religeously with the turbo motor as it will cook the oil in the return pipe and cause the warning light to come on. It's a costly fix so beware. Overall the car is joy to drive when I can get away from my wife. Economical yet has power. Love it!

Downhill After 45K
By disappointed on 04/15/08 14:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 45K miles, my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T (now at 53K miles) began to require very expensive repairs that I never needed for other vehicles I owned with over 100k miles. I had to replace the phlange that connected the coolant system to the engine, the steering rack and pinion, the windshield/headlight washing fluid pump and motor, and the dealer says that I need to soon replace engine gaskets. I do not know much about the mechanics of cars, but from my experience, it is unusual that such major repairs would be required on a vehicle that still has relatively low mileage and is owned by someone who is very diligent with all of the routine maintenance. Wish I had purchased the extended warranty!

Do not buy
By Megan on 04/11/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car thinking it was going to be reliable. After 2 years we had to replace the engine, now at 100,000 miles we need a new transmission. It has been one thing after the other and I will never buy an Audi ever again. Nobs all wear or fall off, interior tears, head lights burn out every 2 seconds. Not only have I spent tons of money having to repair the car I want to get rid of it and it isn't worth anything, horrible resale. Bad bad bad, that is all I have to say!

Not for long commutes
By AO on 09/06/07 09:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is cute and fun. But don't drive it too much. By 2007, with all the repairs we've already done and those still coming up, this car has depreciated like a rock and we're left holding the bag, wondering when our next $2,000 repair bill will come up. The overcomplicated German design leaves even the smallest repairs costing more than they should, and the benefit - our cute car - has been blackened by our repair bills.

One of the worst cars I have ever owned
By Sunny on 06/12/07 16:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Loads of electrical gremlins. Spontaneously the alarm used to go off when I first got it. Radio problems, speakers cutting in and out, tweeter still busted. Dealers want $300 to replace a battery, recently paid $475 to diagnose and replace 3 feet of vacuum hose for a check engine light. Brakes were shot in 36,000 miles (my other car was good for 50,000 so it is not my driving) and tires the same. It was fun to drive when I bought it. Should have bought reliability. Maybe mine was just a lemon but I would not shop Audi/VW again.

Audi A4 1.8T
By J. Amador on 11/29/06 19:04 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Audi from Audi USA (used with 3k). I bought it over the internet and shipped to Europe (wanted US Spec Car). I drove the car up to 128 MPH and it ran flawlessly. Hugged the road and driving at 100 MPH felt like going 55. I did have a problem with the gas cap sensor that Audi corrected. Overall the car has been great and provides super gas mileage while providing umph when you need it. It has the normal turbo lag but overall very pleased. Back seat could be a touch larger. Very glad I got the 1.8T motor over the 3.0. I had 3 series BMW before this one and prior had the Audi 4000CS. Not knocking the BMW but find the Audi more of a joy to drive. Enjoy!!!

German Dependability and ingenuity
By sarah on 01/15/06 17:40 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a joy to own. The four years/50,000 mile warrenty has been a blessing. The car is a joy to drive.

Audi A4 1.8T CVT
By J. Amador on 12/31/05 13:09 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Audi (4000CS) and am very pleased with the performance and reliability of the car. We purchased the car used (3k) and had it shipped to Europe where it was driven till 05. The vehicle worked flawless!!! Had it up to 130MPH many times between Naples and Rome and always hugged the road. The CVT trans is great on gas as well as the 1.8T driving around town. Overall I'd own another Audi. Glad I didn't get the 3.0 as it has more pickup power at the start but about the same as the 1.8T once you get going.