2001 Audi A4 Consumer Review: Reliability isn't bad, but cou

2001 Audi A4 - Consumer Review

2001 Audi A4

1.8T quattro Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

Reliability isn't bad, but could be better
By eddy_e84 on

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2001 Audi A4 1.8T in November of 2010 & it's now March 2012, so 15 months (almost a year & a half).
Keep in mind this car was 10 years old when I bought it...

4 months into owning it I need a new flex pipe: $250 parts and labor

At 12 months I needed to change some hoses: $50, change the boost value for the turbo: $150 and fix a leak in the brake assembly: $50 for a total of: $250 parts & labor.

At 15 months (today) I needed to fix the turn signal relay: $50 and do 1 of my rear bearings: $300.
Total: $350 parts & labor

So I've $850 in repairs.
Excluding regular maintenance items, ie I've changed the brake pads, windshield wiper, tires and the oil changes.

It has flash without making you look like you're crying for attention. It's a german luxury car but you don't feel cocky driving it, like you're trying to hard show off by buying a default "status car" as I would be if I drove a BMW or Mercedes. And of course Quattro all wheel drive hands down. Now every auto maker has computer controlled all wheel drive systems that waits until a computer detects a certain amount of slippage and then"guesses" where to send grip, suck, they're "reactive" systems that wait till you lose grip, Quattro (as wheel as Subaru) use Torsen diffs which are "preventative" and can sense a loss of grip right away with each tire rotation.

Maybe sligthly easier to maintain. Most of my repairs (save the wheel bearing) weren't really do or die and more minor annoyances. None of them were anywhere close to a break down in the short term, the wheel bearing could of caused a headache had it broke while driving somewehre.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review