2001 Audi A4 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Loved it--but too many problems

2001 Audi A4 - Consumer Review

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

1.8T quattro Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

Loved it--but too many problems
By Loved it on

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Traded my mom an IS300 for it in 9/04 w/ 24k. I just sold it w/ 97k on it. Steering feel & accuracy was great, superb handling & brakes, great road feel & heavy weight. I had a manual trans and sport pkg so it was a blast to drive. Felt expensive & used great materials/assembly. But always in the shop, I had 21 repairs in the 4.5 years I drove it & it needed another 3 repairs (2 of which I previously replaced). Every year the ignition coils needed to be replaced & the engine "sludged" up (repaired under warranty). Lots of road noise and wind rush. Lots of features and thoughtful touches throughout. Great MPG. Uber expensive to fix and maintain (and I'm not cheap either).

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, road feel, handling, connection to car/road, manual trans and sport pkg. Material quality.

Suggested Improvements

Other then reliability and cost of maintenance, not many, reduce road noises and maybe softer seats (great for the back but long trips hurt the backside).