Used 2001 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

2001 A4 Avant
By sanjoseredsoxfan

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car certified used which I would recommend. What a great peppy car! Fantastic handling on curvy mountain roads, as expected. Having turbo makes driving even more fun. Extremely reliable. Approaching 100K miles and it still drives like new. My only real complaint: for an all-weather, all-wheel-drive car it could be a little tougher. It's a bit dainty. A great commuter car that lets you cart groceries, kids and pets without the size of a normal wagon.

Handling and driveability!! Does great in snow - just don't let the car hit ruts or you will bend a rim. Good traction for pulling easily up our very steep driveway.

It's small for a wagon, barely fits a canoe and is a little low to the ground. Really too dainty a car for any kind of rough handling, like putting a canoe on the roof, driving in snow or on graded dirt roads. I bent a rim within the first two weeks of owning, doing nothing but driving to work.

Never again
By Konrad

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car when it was 3 year old and had 51000 miles on it. After 6 months it started to break: ABS module, power window mechanism in 3 doors, leaking oil in engine (repair costs over $1000) oxygen sensor (another $1200, big problem to find right sensor), rear tail light, glovebox shaking all the time, even the horn didn't work, engine light was on all the time. Car is very nice, handling and performance is great, but buy it on your own risk.

Heated leather, interior and exterior design, good fuel economy and performance.

Build quality.

Keeps breaking every two months
By Frank

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first car. When I bought it I was amazed with this it, very fast, fun to drive and very reliable. I bought it with 45k miles on it. Everything was great until the computer started giving me those annoying messages "SERVICE REQUIRED". Well, I decided to take the car to the dealership every time I got it and so far, I have paid in service and repairs around $2500 in two years! The lower lights have burned three times now, the left suspension arm broke, the battery died, the flow meter died, the sparks needed to be changed, the center console leds are broken, the horn broke and now, I have a water leak in the passenger footwell (this is caused by an aircon broken tube).

Stereo, A/C, interior design, the big trunk (this is the best part).

Water leak, center console. And please... this is German engineering!!! Please build a more reliable car.

Love my Audi!
By jmm

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my A4 for six years, and I still love it to this day. It is so fun to drive due to both handling and the turbo gives it an extra boost. The Quattro is a dream to drive in the snow, out performing many SUVs. The gas mileage is great! My only problems were back in 2004-05 when I had to replace the rear wheel bearings and the tie rods. Currently, when my car sits in the heat, the car beeps as if the driver side door is open, when in fact it is shut. Also, the speakers are busted. If my family wasn't growing, I'd definitely buy another A4.

Quattro, handling, turbo engine, tight steering, trunk space, heated seats, dash/stereo doesn't appear outdated even though it's 6 years old, gas mileage.

I'm not a car expert, but it seems that 60k-70k miles is too soon to replace wear and tear things such as wheel bearings and tie rods.

Timing belt broken at 68k miles
By timing belt broken

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Nice car. European, handsome, drives nicely, especially the manual. Feels safe. Timing belt broken at merely 68k miles. It caused engine damage and I am out $6,000 now. And I drive my car very very nicely without hurting it. The manual says change the belt at 100k+ miles!! Talk about reliability.

Road handling, acceleration. Looks.

Reliability.