2001 Audi A4 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Love Hate Relationship
By Jprep2004

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just thought I would put my two cents in with the rest of the Audi owners having troubles. My engine blew out in the middle of Kansas 1 year after buying it used (32000 and Audi certified). The oil is a big problem. After that, I have no confidence in the car - it's been back for some minor stuff, but everytime it hiccups or idles funny I get shivers. Now that I'm at 70k and the car is worth 9k or 10k, the repairs are not worth it. I'm waiting on the new BMW 3 series Coupe. Its a shame. I love driving the car when it works and was looking to mod it, but no way will I put more money into a car I can't trust.

Favorite Features

The color. Mine is Santorini Blue (based off the color of the Greek sea). The interior is a mix of light beige upholtery and dark blue. Best interior of any car Audi has made - including the TTs. Great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Somehow Audi got away with one. They make great cars on the whole, but this particular model has given so many people grief. My only suggestion is to increase their American maintainence shops with competence.

60000 Mile failure
By SBrown

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the driving experience of the A4. The handling is phenomenal and the comfort is excellent. Not to mention the heads that turn when I'm going down the road. The only issue was that after 2 months the engine failed and has to be replaced. It had only 60,000 miles on it. I would not wish a 1.8T engine on my worst enemy. Nor would I ever puchase another Audi.

Favorite Features

Handling is excellent. Also the interior is one of the most comfortable I've ever had.

Great fun fast and slow
By pdholz

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun to drive, fast or slow. Great highway car for two, cramped for four. Superb handling, with minimal understeer at limit (with sport suspension). Excellent fuel mileage if you keep your foot out of the turbo (26-27 consistently, 30 on highway). Great interior design, plenty of room in front for large folks (I'm 6'3"), though small back seats. Make SURE you use synthetic oil, or change oil frequently. I've had this car since new, so these aren't first impressions.

Favorite Features

Overall fun to drive, great over-the-road.

Suggested Improvements

The new 2.0 turbo is as strong as a 1.8T with an aftermarket chip, so Audi has addressed that. And the new 6-spd gives lower RPM cruising.

I'm a Broker
By andylarz

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I am a wholesale auto broker so I have my pick of vehicles. And this is the BEST car I have ever owned!!! I got the car with 38k miles and in the last 14 months have put 43k miles on it, without a single non-routine trip to the shop. The interior styling can't be matched and although I have heard some bad things about the 1.8t my 2.8 V6 is as solid as an engine gets!!! The whole powertrain is solid and the AWD is a dream come true, I live in Salt Lake City and I'm a skier so I make good use of the AWD. However, even on dry pavement you can tell the difference that the AWD makes in handling, performance and SAFETY !!! This car is as smooth and refined as they get, I LOVE IT !!!!!!

Favorite Features

The AWD and the beautiful interior!!!

Suggested Improvements

The transmission is solid and fun (tiptronic) but in normal drive mode it is slow to "punch" of the line. Almost as if it wants to wait one second to decide to go from a dead stop. I was told by the dealership service manager that Audi transmissions are just like that.

Too many problems
By sean

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro last year as a cert. pre-owned. Had to replace the CD player within the first week of having the car. Since then I've gone through 2 more CD players. The electrical system is faulty and just recently I had to replace all the tie-rods which, last year, Audi deemed not covered in the warranty...Thanks Audi. I've dropped over $1500 on top of payments this year on the car. Having to put premium in it is killing me because it only gets 21 mpg, especially when gas prices are $2.50+. Save your time and money. Go get something else.

Favorite Features

Handling. Exterior design. Sound system, when it's not being replaced.

I love this car
By C.Smith

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my A4. It had two recalls but after that it's been my cruise machine. My only gripe is that it uses Premium gas and that is getting expensive since I have a leadfoot. I love being able to acelerate and drive in the mountains with all wheel drive and a tiptronic system. THIS car is zoom zoom.

Favorite Features

Outside styling, heated seats, snazzy dash.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more comfort when designing the seats. Premium gas is costly these days.

fell apart
By jenna

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i love the look and feel of the audi A4 but now that I own one i dont know if I'd ever buy another. I bought a 2001 in October of 2003, only three years old and within 4 months of owning it I had to replace the entire engine, due to sludge build up (not caused by myself but a defect in the engine-not under recall). I've had the car for a year and a half and every two months there seems to be something else wrong with it. I've replaced the tires, engine, battery, water pump and control arm, totaling $9,000. Maybe if I bought this car brand new it would have been great, but after a couple years, it just fell apart.

Suggested Improvements

build a more reliable car!

Beautiful on the outside...
By Carole

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car when I purchased it and up until about a year and a half or so ago. Since then, I have had nothing but major engine trouble. The repairs are exceedingly costly, and it is often difficult to find a shop that will work on the newer Audis, due to their intricate design. I have had to replace just about everything in this car, and am now looking at selling the vehicle. Beware of the type of oil your shop uses; if not using synthetic the engine can seize up. It's too bad this great car had to go south so young! I hear similar stories from other Audi customers at my dealership. I would not buy another one.

Favorite Features

Love the Bose sound system, the handling, the power.

Suggested Improvements

My strongest suggestion is to simplify the design in order to make this car more repairable and less costly to maintain.

Audi makes great cars
By getdamemo

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Sedan handles well and is easy to maintain. I only wish there was a little more power with the AWD system. I have no regrets buying this car!

Suggested Improvements

Spend $500 on a new ECU program to get more power, even then people still get over 200,000 miles on this engine, it is great.

Don't waste your money
By Scott

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I leased my 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Sedan new. It was great for the first year. Since then it has been in the shop with multiple problems at least every other month. I've been to four Audi service centers and each one does a worse job than the other. Audi customer service didn't seem to care either. I'm finally fed up with the car and contacted Audi of North America for details on turning it in early...they finally want to talk, but it's too late. We also have had two Volkswagen Jetta's with similar problems. I wouldn't recommend an VW/Audi product.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy (when it is running properly), quattro is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

None. I've wasted enough time and air trying to help Audi. Let them figure it out for themselves when long time customers start leaving.