Used 2001 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Luck of the Draw
By Scott

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought "used certified" with 30K miles which may explain why it's been farily reliable (86K now), though we did bring it back a few times while under warranty. If you're looking for a truly long term reliable car, skip this one. However, I don't regret (yet) the purchase because the value was great. We bought this car for less than a new Mazda3. And driving a sport luxury car rather than an econo-box was a choice I can live with every day.

Fit and finish, interior design, excellent power windows and moon roof, best handling car around.

Turbo lag way too noticable, no power seats, placement of window controls awkward, reliability.

I dont know why I like Audis, I just do
By Mostafa

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 Audi 2.8 almost 1 year ago. It has been a great car. I took it in today because the check engine light came on (becuase the gas cap wasn't screwed back on correctly) Ahhh! Oil changes are about $85 which is a lot, but it's good for 6k miles. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for paying that much for an oil change, but that's how it is. I love having a powerful car. Brakes work great! Almost too well. All my friends love driving my car, it's fun!

Yes I love the cup holder! I am afraid I might break it with my heavy jamba juices. I would never use the ski chute thing. I like the first aid kit. The seats inflate and give your back lumbar support. Heated seats of course. Front and rear fog lights. Sun roof.

Yes more leg room in back. My car is way too low to the ground! My skid plate ripped off. Better speakers. My Bose ones sound scratchy. Volume control on the steering wheel! My alarm will trigger if I leave any windows open, even a crack. Some of the plastic parts I don't like.

A rebadged VW w/ nothing to offer
By Roger

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car a few months ago due to my new job where I needed to drive daily, since prior to this I've had 2 sports cars (350z, mr2 turbo). I needed something comfortable with that didn't look old and was cheap. I've always love the red color scheme of Audi interiors so I picked up this car. To be honest if you're looking to buy an A4, save yourself the money and go buy a VW jetta/passat. Aside from the quattro there really isn't much of a difference between them, the cars options are all kind of crappy, and this car is not as luxurious as my old Lexus ES, and definitely wasn't as fun as my 350z, plus it's horribly unreliable, and the little problems that come up tear away at you.

Good gas mileage, the techs at the dealer usually acknowledge that this is the problem child and usually fix things no questions asked

Go buy a Lexus or a BMW, save yourself the time, unless you have a love affair with your mechanic.

It's no Honda or Toyota
By snoweater

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car with 56k miles on it with warranty. I knew what I was getting myself into. But it was totally worth it! When the time comes it will be hard to let go. Warranty more than paid for itself. Keep critical elements maintained and the car drives itself. Namely timing belt/tensioner and oil changes. I don't have much sympathy for those who buy a German car and then are shocked when all they do is change the oil every 10k miles and expect nothing to go wrong. Go buy a Honda or Toyota and have fun driving around in your tin can! It's a driver's car, therefore it does deserve some much needed attention. Be ready to replace control arms, ignition coils, wheel bearings, t-belt.

Being able to drive through 18" inches of powder and plow it out of the way without chains. Any weather handling. Great build. No rattles at 110k miles. Great sound system.

Seats could have a little more bolster to them. 1.8T comes out of the box lacking a little more kick (why I got a chip to bump the horsepower to 208 and torque to 245). Clutch engaging lower. Giving it a 6spd manual.

I love my A4 but will never buy again
By Gerardo

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car as I am a german car lover. Unfortunately ever since I owned it I have had to change timing belt, tensioner, h2o pump, o2 sensor, 2 window regulators crushed, front door speaker bursted, 1 ball joint, 1 cv joint, name it. I hope by mid 2008 I will be able to trade it!! That is a pill hard to swallow.

Engine, drivability, design.