Used 2001 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

A perfect blend of sport and luxury
By Audi Fan x3

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my A4 for seven-plus years. Like any German car, service isn't inexpensive, but the key is keeping up with regular maintenance. My car just hit 100k miles and it still makes me smile when I turn the key. No major issues. Lots of fun to drive. The quattro AWD system is a dream in snow. I have owned three Audis (2000 A6 Avant; 1997 Cabriolet; this A4) and I loved them all.

Audi interiors have been the industry leader for a decade. Quattro AWD. Metallic silver paint (required for a proper German car). Smooth V6 engine. Bauhaus exterior design ("form follows function") still looks innovative, understated and clean eight years on.

Perhaps a bit more horsepower would be nice. Could use a larger back seat area (corrected in future A4 versions).

Love Audis, but not this Audi
By DFD

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Audi used from a reliable used foreign car dealer. Love the power and handling, and it looks good. Two of my biggest problems that I have come across is the terrible fuel economy and the lack of heat. I'm getting about 18 mpg now, and that is mostly hwg. My heat blows cold air constantly. I recently spent $650 to get it fixed, just for the mechanic to tell me it still doesn't work. But all in all, I would buy another Audi, they're lots of fun.

Windows roll up when locking the car, tiptronic on steering wheel, power everything, engine, AWD! (awesome in snow)

MPG, heat

87k miles
By kburg

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my A4 at 51k miles and have had it about a year and a half very fun car to drive love the AWD and the turbo is nice to have. So far I have taken the car to the shop 4 times and have had the camshaft ajuster, new coils, O2 sensors, fan clutch, oil leaks, mass air flow sensor, the tires seem to wear down fast, fuel filter, still waiting for audi to fix my timming belt that they do for free at 105k and should pay for damages if brakes before that. engine idiles loud and for a min or two (I always let the engine warm up a min before driving as all turbo engines should) and a turbo timer wouldn't hurt either. Luckly I had it covered by warranty which paid for most repairs.

AWD is awsome, sports car driving experience, good performance (when it's not in the shop)

reliability, little more power would be nice

Very disappointed
By NY Audiman

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new. Maintained it to spec. Have had repeated problems including the radio failed; temperature sensor failed twice; LED display is failing; outside temp sensor is flaky. Today my dealer told me to service a zillion more things and quoted the repair bill at $4900! No way! This for a 7 year old car with about 64,000 miles. Get real. I'm never buying an Audi every again. (They even design it badly for maintenance ... it's a nightmare to service ... so the labor charges add up quickly.) In contrast, my Acura never needed anything special ... it's back to the Japanese in a few months for me.

Great Car!
By Ben

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I get about 25 mpg altogether, which isn't bad. I love the feeling of acceleration you get when you step on it in second or third, as well as the nice whistling whoosh from the engine at about 3,000 rpm.Seats are comfortable, climate control is superb, and despite many other Audi owners, I have had no problems with this car, aside from a bent rim and an intake leak.

Leather, seats, sunroof, acceleration, transmission, huge trunk, top speed around 140 mph, head turner.

Take off the two back doors and make it a 2-door coupe.