2001 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
A perfect blend of sport and luxury
By Audi Fan x3 on 01/06/09 15:42 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my A4 for seven-plus years. Like any German car, service isn't inexpensive, but the key is keeping up with regular maintenance. My car just hit 100k miles and it still makes me smile when I turn the key. No major issues. Lots of fun to drive. The quattro AWD system is a dream in snow. I have owned three Audis (2000 A6 Avant; 1997 Cabriolet; this A4) and I loved them all.

Love Audis, but not this Audi
By DFD on 12/29/08 14:04 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Audi used from a reliable used foreign car dealer. Love the power and handling, and it looks good. Two of my biggest problems that I have come across is the terrible fuel economy and the lack of heat. I'm getting about 18 mpg now, and that is mostly hwg. My heat blows cold air constantly. I recently spent $650 to get it fixed, just for the mechanic to tell me it still doesn't work. But all in all, I would buy another Audi, they're lots of fun.

87k miles
By kburg on 12/15/08 23:25 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my A4 at 51k miles and have had it about a year and a half very fun car to drive love the AWD and the turbo is nice to have. So far I have taken the car to the shop 4 times and have had the camshaft ajuster, new coils, O2 sensors, fan clutch, oil leaks, mass air flow sensor, the tires seem to wear down fast, fuel filter, still waiting for audi to fix my timming belt that they do for free at 105k and should pay for damages if brakes before that. engine idiles loud and for a min or two (I always let the engine warm up a min before driving as all turbo engines should) and a turbo timer wouldn't hurt either. Luckly I had it covered by warranty which paid for most repairs.

Very disappointed
By NY Audiman on 09/10/08 06:20 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new. Maintained it to spec. Have had repeated problems including the radio failed; temperature sensor failed twice; LED display is failing; outside temp sensor is flaky. Today my dealer told me to service a zillion more things and quoted the repair bill at $4900! No way! This for a 7 year old car with about 64,000 miles. Get real. I'm never buying an Audi every again. (They even design it badly for maintenance ... it's a nightmare to service ... so the labor charges add up quickly.) In contrast, my Acura never needed anything special ... it's back to the Japanese in a few months for me.

Great Car!
By Ben on 08/16/08 17:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I get about 25 mpg altogether, which isn't bad. I love the feeling of acceleration you get when you step on it in second or third, as well as the nice whistling whoosh from the engine at about 3,000 rpm.Seats are comfortable, climate control is superb, and despite many other Audi owners, I have had no problems with this car, aside from a bent rim and an intake leak.

Luck of the Draw
By Scott on 08/07/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought "used certified" with 30K miles which may explain why it's been farily reliable (86K now), though we did bring it back a few times while under warranty. If you're looking for a truly long term reliable car, skip this one. However, I don't regret (yet) the purchase because the value was great. We bought this car for less than a new Mazda3. And driving a sport luxury car rather than an econo-box was a choice I can live with every day.

I dont know why I like Audis, I just do
By Mostafa on 07/24/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 Audi 2.8 almost 1 year ago. It has been a great car. I took it in today because the check engine light came on (becuase the gas cap wasn't screwed back on correctly) Ahhh! Oil changes are about $85 which is a lot, but it's good for 6k miles. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for paying that much for an oil change, but that's how it is. I love having a powerful car. Brakes work great! Almost too well. All my friends love driving my car, it's fun!

A rebadged VW w/ nothing to offer
By Roger on 07/05/08 15:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car a few months ago due to my new job where I needed to drive daily, since prior to this I've had 2 sports cars (350z, mr2 turbo). I needed something comfortable with that didn't look old and was cheap. I've always love the red color scheme of Audi interiors so I picked up this car. To be honest if you're looking to buy an A4, save yourself the money and go buy a VW jetta/passat. Aside from the quattro there really isn't much of a difference between them, the cars options are all kind of crappy, and this car is not as luxurious as my old Lexus ES, and definitely wasn't as fun as my 350z, plus it's horribly unreliable, and the little problems that come up tear away at you.

It's no Honda or Toyota
By snoweater on 04/30/08 13:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car with 56k miles on it with warranty. I knew what I was getting myself into. But it was totally worth it! When the time comes it will be hard to let go. Warranty more than paid for itself. Keep critical elements maintained and the car drives itself. Namely timing belt/tensioner and oil changes. I don't have much sympathy for those who buy a German car and then are shocked when all they do is change the oil every 10k miles and expect nothing to go wrong. Go buy a Honda or Toyota and have fun driving around in your tin can! It's a driver's car, therefore it does deserve some much needed attention. Be ready to replace control arms, ignition coils, wheel bearings, t-belt.

I love my A4 but will never buy again
By Gerardo on 01/31/08 10:04 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car as I am a german car lover. Unfortunately ever since I owned it I have had to change timing belt, tensioner, h2o pump, o2 sensor, 2 window regulators crushed, front door speaker bursted, 1 ball joint, 1 cv joint, name it. I hope by mid 2008 I will be able to trade it!! That is a pill hard to swallow.