2001 Audi A4 Wagon Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi A4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Unreliable Disaster
By jscala on 12/17/11 12:35 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Read the reliability reports. Everything in there and more has gone wrong with my Audi. The sludge problems w/ the 1.8T, in my opinion, are the engineering equivalent of a surgeon leaving a scalpel inside you.

Love Hate Relationship
By mwg on 06/24/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in 2001 - has the sport package, put in chip, it drives fantastic when it is not being towed to the mechanic. I have 4"thick file of repairs and tire changes. It chews up tires every 20k miles regardless of brand and consistent tire rotation. At 90k miles the engine blew. Fortunately Audi replaced it after I provided documentation of oil changes every 5k miles. I have replaced wheel bearings, tie rods, timing belt, hoses, sensors, the turbo at 160k, battery, alternator etc. If it wasn't paid for and if I did not love to drive it so much it would be gone. I cant find another car with the same combo of performance, mileage, utility,AWD, and class.

2001 1.8T A4 Quattro Wagon w/Sport Pack
By Lisa Macaluso on 11/13/07 12:38 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First few years car ran smoothly and was a lot of fun to drive except rear wheel bearings needed to be replaced twice by dealership - luckily still under warranty. Rims allowed snow/slush to build up which made car shake when driven in winter. When 2-3 years old, rattling sound was heard. Brought car in several times and was not given diagnosis. After 75,000 miles (no longer under warranty), dealership was magically able to diagnose the problem: needs a new cam adjuster (dealership claims no prior awareness of problem) Car has 100,000 miles and has had all four wheel bearings (and ball joint) replaced again by local mechanic. It is no better than tupperware - disposable after 3-year-use!

Money pit
By fleetfoot on 08/14/07 12:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car new off the showroom floor at end of '01 model year. Overall, the car handles beautifully (steering is drum tight!) and the cabin is well laid out and extremely comfortable for the driver and front passenger - which is particularly nice on long trips. Back seat is cramped, but wagon has been very useful. But beware... stuff will go wrong with this car. Every other month something else is going - and many items went just days beyond expiration of the warranty coverage! Major oil leak @ 52k. Another leak @ 65k. Seat frames. Steering rack. Front tie rods. Bose speaker. Headlamp washer. You get the idea. Great driving experience, but be ready to pay and pay and pay!

Fun to drive and practical
By Christian on 02/06/06 19:50 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is one of the rare fun to drive and practical cars out there. The extra cargo capacity comes in handy when it's time to go to the mountain with the kids...

Fun car to drive!
By fbellay on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a very comfortable and fun car to drive. I like the feeling of control when driving the car, thanks to the Quattro transmission. I've had only one minor problem with it. An aligment wheel which got covered by the waranty. The sad thing with these luxury cars is the depreaction which is pretty steep. My only regret with this car is its lack of power (1.8T engine). It sometimes feel underpowered. My next car will also be an A4, but this time with the bigger engine V6 or even the S4 if I can afford it.

A4 Avant - Amazing car!
By Jbrockettm on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Though a wagon, never feels like one. Handles like a dream. Puts a smile on the face of anyone who gets behind the wheel. Solid, jaunty, nervy car, handles on the curves like no other car on the road. You feel safe driving this thing and you are. Plus, if you're naughty and crank it up past 100, you'll see what it's all about: shakeless, silent splendor!

Fantastic wagon
By T-bone on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. It is practical yet is a total blast to drive. I love whipping around the interstate ramps in this car - it really hunkers down in the twisties with very little body roll noticeable. My wife loves it too. I have a hard time getting her to let me drive it. The optional Bose sound system rocks. It did very well in the snow/ice the past two winters with all-season tires. It is bolted together very tightly - no rattles or squeaks after 2+ years of driving over the terrible St. Louis city roads. Very reliable.

Great car for active lifestyles!
By yss on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for close to 2 years now... and the only problem has been a pair of squeeky windshield wipers. The car handles wonderfully... my quattro wagon handles better than my buddy's BMW 330ci. It's fun to drive and great for trips with friends and all our gear. The car gets lousy gas mileage... I get about 13 mpg in the city! Well, what can I expect? I live in San Francisco and I drive up many steep hills in a relatively heavy car with all wheel drive! However, I can drive from San Francisco down to LA on one tank of gas! Overall, a great car!

Stay Away from Audi
By MAG on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

By 5000 miles enginge coils failed one by one. They were all replaced but failed again. Ground fault sensor was installed. Now they are misfiring.