Used 2001 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Maintain it and it will run excellent
By nvaudi

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a 2001 1.8 avant from the original owner who maintained it very well. I have all the prior service records and I keep mine. As long as you maintain this vehicle it will run very well or you. If you want to abuse it then buy a toyota or some other tin can like vehicle. Yes a sube wrx is faster but the doors clink when you shut them as they are no where need as solid as an audi. I have owed several subes and 2 audis an A6 and this A4 (116,00 and counting). I have had maintenance that I have had to take to the shop and some I do myself. Sube copied the awd system. Those who provide poor reviews did not maintain their vehicle properly.

The fit and finish is excellent as is the sound system. Make sure you get the radio code if possible from the person you purchase it from. Love the way it handles and mine is fast enough. I like the smaller wagon and the manual trans is fun shifting. With snow tires in the winter it goes wherever I need to and this year I drove through heavy snow to Vail, Breck, and Jackson Hole. I can pack plenty of gear for 2 weeks of skiing for my wife and I and enough for weekends for 4. My wife likes the lower roof height which makes it easy for her to load/unlaod her paddle board (when she gets to drive it) as opposed to taller SUVs and crossovers.

My 01 has a quite turbo back exhaust, mild chip, short throw shifter, rubber mats, s4 suspension and intake vent for airflow. It sits on performance 17's in the spring-fall and snow 16's in the winter. I will upgrade the motor mounts to solid rubber or urethane soon as the factory original mounts are due for replacement. So a little over stock performance and still gets 25-28 on the hwy.

Great car!!
By bustamove2000

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in November of last year and have had it for about six months, other than routine maintenance and fixing the simple stuff it runs great and gets great mileage. Every time i read these reviews i get angry because people complain about how much it cost to do simple repairs on the car and hows theirs engine sludge, One do routine oil changes like you should and you would not have this problem, two if the problem is a simple fix Do It Yourself the car is surprisingly easy to work on for a audi turbo charged vehicle, never take the car to audi to get it fixed they will make you pay a arm and a leg. and lastly my car has 180000 miles on it and runs like new.

bose sound system, easy to work on, simple yet proper in its styling, cup holder, first aid kit, sports suspension :)

more backseat leg room, and thats it

Reliability isn't bad, but could be better
By eddy_e84

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2001 Audi A4 1.8T in November of 2010 & it's now March 2012, so 15 months (almost a year & a half). Keep in mind this car was 10 years old when I bought it... 4 months into owning it I need a new flex pipe: $250 parts and labor At 12 months I needed to change some hoses: $50, change the boost value for the turbo: $150 and fix a leak in the brake assembly: $50 for a total of: $250 parts & labor. At 15 months (today) I needed to fix the turn signal relay: $50 and do 1 of my rear bearings: $300. Total: $350 parts & labor So I've $850 in repairs. Excluding regular maintenance items, ie I've changed the brake pads, windshield wiper, tires and the oil changes.

It has flash without making you look like you're crying for attention. It's a german luxury car but you don't feel cocky driving it, like you're trying to hard show off by buying a default "status car" as I would be if I drove a BMW or Mercedes. And of course Quattro all wheel drive hands down. Now every auto maker has computer controlled all wheel drive systems that waits until a computer detects a certain amount of slippage and then"guesses" where to send grip, suck, they're "reactive" systems that wait till you lose grip, Quattro (as wheel as Subaru) use Torsen diffs which are "preventative" and can sense a loss of grip right away with each tire rotation.

Maybe sligthly easier to maintain. Most of my repairs (save the wheel bearing) weren't really do or die and more minor annoyances. None of them were anywhere close to a break down in the short term, the wheel bearing could of caused a headache had it broke while driving somewehre.

extremely solid car
By pugler

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this car for a decade and mine currently has over 200,000 km. It is without question the best car that I have owned in my 30+ years of car ownership. During the last ten years I have owned similar cars including several newer A4's and a comparable BMW but I could not part with this version of the A4 because of its overall fun and reliability in all weather conditions (the BMW is not near as capable in the snow). The AWD coupled with the sport suspension creates the best handling car that I have owned or driven. It is as solid as a German tank and I often tease that I could conquer France in this vehicle...and I anticipate putting ANOTHER 200,000 km on it. Mon Dieu!

2001 A4 1.8T
By arbaca

2001 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i am the second owner of this car and it has been well taken care of before i got it and it continues to get the same care. i strongly feel that before consider purchase you check with insurance and maintenance. keep up with those and you will be fine. shop around on forums or dealerships and they will not charge as much. i love the things it offers and has a strong rocket engine with a stage 2 and better gas mileage.

above the rest in awd and the quality of workmanship to prove it. not all cars will handle the same and i realize everyone wants the best for less. we have to be realistic and remember these parts were man made. anyway, love the steering wheel control, speed, gas efficiency and the drive because they are easy to park and go onto the highway.

i suppose if they could provide an upgraded stereo system to meet with the times.