2001 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Great car!!
By bustamove2000 on 04/13/13 09:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in November of last year and have had it for about six months, other than routine maintenance and fixing the simple stuff it runs great and gets great mileage. Every time i read these reviews i get angry because people complain about how much it cost to do simple repairs on the car and hows theirs engine sludge, One do routine oil changes like you should and you would not have this problem, two if the problem is a simple fix Do It Yourself the car is surprisingly easy to work on for a audi turbo charged vehicle, never take the car to audi to get it fixed they will make you pay a arm and a leg. and lastly my car has 180000 miles on it and runs like new.

Reliability isn't bad, but could be better
By eddy_e84 on 03/02/12 15:47 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2001 Audi A4 1.8T in November of 2010 & it's now March 2012, so 15 months (almost a year & a half). Keep in mind this car was 10 years old when I bought it... 4 months into owning it I need a new flex pipe: $250 parts and labor At 12 months I needed to change some hoses: $50, change the boost value for the turbo: $150 and fix a leak in the brake assembly: $50 for a total of: $250 parts & labor. At 15 months (today) I needed to fix the turn signal relay: $50 and do 1 of my rear bearings: $300. Total: $350 parts & labor So I've $850 in repairs. Excluding regular maintenance items, ie I've changed the brake pads, windshield wiper, tires and the oil changes.

Unreliable Disaster
By jscala on 12/17/11 12:35 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Read the reliability reports. Everything in there and more has gone wrong with my Audi. The sludge problems w/ the 1.8T, in my opinion, are the engineering equivalent of a surgeon leaving a scalpel inside you.

extremely solid car
By pugler on 10/25/11 04:23 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this car for a decade and mine currently has over 200,000 km. It is without question the best car that I have owned in my 30+ years of car ownership. During the last ten years I have owned similar cars including several newer A4's and a comparable BMW but I could not part with this version of the A4 because of its overall fun and reliability in all weather conditions (the BMW is not near as capable in the snow). The AWD coupled with the sport suspension creates the best handling car that I have owned or driven. It is as solid as a German tank and I often tease that I could conquer France in this vehicle...and I anticipate putting ANOTHER 200,000 km on it. Mon Dieu!

2001 A4 1.8T
By arbaca on 02/20/11 06:52 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i am the second owner of this car and it has been well taken care of before i got it and it continues to get the same care. i strongly feel that before consider purchase you check with insurance and maintenance. keep up with those and you will be fine. shop around on forums or dealerships and they will not charge as much. i love the things it offers and has a strong rocket engine with a stage 2 and better gas mileage.

Solid Car but Know it well
By Damsaudi on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased the car with 118,000 km,knew it needed a few things when I got it but was excited to get such a nice solid car.Have replaced everything on the entire vehicle within a year ($25,000)mostly replacing with performance parts but only when needed. The car always pulled strong in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, little weak in 4th and 5th with stock turbo, but throw in a k04 and a tune and it really gets interesting. Fuel economy will surprise you, rip hard on it and a tank (60l) will be gone in 300 km, but cruise on the highway and expect close to 850-900. Small electrical things pop up but online there are many helpful resources to troubleshoot. Its a maintenance intensive car but with care reliable

Great while it lasted
By Will on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used, and had it for 7 months (15,000 miles) before it was totaled in an accident. The car was a lot of fun to drive, and I’m definitely going to miss it. It handled pretty, and had good acceleration. The fuel mileage was much better than I expected it to be. It was very comfortable on both short, and long drives. The trunk had plenty of room for luggage, and hauling. Like any used car it had some issues including a new MAF sensor, and a rear wheel bearing needing to be replaced in the first two months of ownership. Once those issues were sorted out the car was great. I’m leaning towards a newer A4 to replace this one.

So expensive to maintain
By Claire O. on 03/12/10 14:04 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I inherited this car from my parents, otherwise I would never have chosen a luxury sort of car. In the two years I've had the car, I have put over $3000 in repairs. Every time a light comes on, my heart sinks because it will be $1000 to make it turn off. Today I learned that to replace the climate control panel will cost $850 plus labor. what! As soon as it is out of the shop this time I will sell it before another light turns on.

Nice ride, when it's not in the shop...
By O_o on 11/12/09 21:34 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The A4 is a nice balance between a sport sedan, family sedan, and luxury sedan. PERFORMANCE: You won't blow anybody's doors off, but its 190 HP and 210 ft-lb of torque are enough to put a grin on your face from time to time. With the AWD, it handles great in all kinds of weather, fair or foul. The ESP is a bit overactive, however, and cuts in on even the slightest hint of any wheelspin. Fortunately, it can be disabled with the push of a button. INTERIOR: The interior is very comfortable and well laid out, and it's loaded with convenience features. There isn't much room for adults in the rear, but it's OK for kids. The trunk is very large and easy to access. The pass-through is handy also.

Loved it--but too many problems
By Loved it on 07/01/09 23:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Traded my mom an IS300 for it in 9/04 w/ 24k. I just sold it w/ 97k on it. Steering feel & accuracy was great, superb handling & brakes, great road feel & heavy weight. I had a manual trans and sport pkg so it was a blast to drive. Felt expensive & used great materials/assembly. But always in the shop, I had 21 repairs in the 4.5 years I drove it & it needed another 3 repairs (2 of which I previously replaced). Every year the ignition coils needed to be replaced & the engine "sludged" up (repaired under warranty). Lots of road noise and wind rush. Lots of features and thoughtful touches throughout. Great MPG. Uber expensive to fix and maintain (and I'm not cheap either).