1999 1.8T Avant - 208,000 Miles
By interactive3 on
1999 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD
Built in October 1998 and purchased in April 1999. This car came with the sport steering wheel and beautiful cloth seats. I added mud guards to help protect the exterior. The interior materials are very good. I've had no issues with the engine. It's unstoppable. It has the original clutch, still going after millions of shits. There's no body rust. The bad: The 99 Avants did have some front suspension issues. They were mostly covered under warranty. The rear wheel bearings need to be changed pretty frequently. The side airbags had problems too, but they're easy to replace.
Favorite Features
The spacious feeling of the interior is very nice. The seats are exceptionally comfortable (especially in cloth). It has very good ergonomics in the front, but is too tight in the rear seats. The AWD system with Torsen center differential rules! The heated seats and auto climate control are perfect for winter. It has a great suspension front and back. Stainless muffles lasts and lasts. Tight turning radius. Open or close all windows with key. Soft on/off interior lights. No stupid gimmicks or extra electronic gizmos. Dependable manual seat adjustments.
Suggested Improvements
I wish Audi still imported a manual transmission wagon with Quattro and premium cloth seats. I can't think of a decent replacement car. Too bad Subarus are so ugly and the Jetta Sportwagen doesn't have 4motion. Improvements: I would like more rear leg room for passengers. More ground clearance. 1600 lbs towing capacity. Better engineered wheel bearings. Side curtain air bags.