1999 Audi A4 Consumer Review: Buyer Beware

1999 Audi A4 - Consumer Review

1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Buyer Beware
By John M in T.O. on

1999 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in July '09 and loved the way it drove. However, after owning it for 8 months it needed $1250.00 for a valve seal problem and at the same time my mechanic recommended to change the timing belt as well, which is another $1300. Then I had a heavy vibration through my steering wheel which I decided was the last straw. Instead of fixing everything, I traded it in on a '97 Lexus ES 300 which I should have bought to begin with. This Lexus is amazing and so smooth as well. Be understanding that if you do purchase this Audi car that you have to be prepared for heavy labor costs on fixing it. Everything is $500+ and some servicing will ding you $1000 plus.

Quattro for the winter, Tiptronic transmission.

These cars are very expensive to maintain. The Reliability is not good and major things go wrong. Especially leaks.
By sinxenvy
on 02/12/12 14:08 PM (PST)

Okay, so from your review and several others that I have read, you complain about how much repairs are. May I say that if you knew enough about cars your only paying issues would be major ones. Timing is not major. So before you turn off potential buyers why not state the fact that you know nothing about car repairs.