1999 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Get out your wallet, this car is junk
By ShamusFu on 01/18/05 10:33 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

You would have to be INSANE to buy an Audi A4. I drive mine 12,000 miles per year TOPS and have done $3,000 worth of repairs with less than 60,000 miles on it. I've had bad wheel bearings, timing belt (which will destroy the engine if it ever breaks), water pump, radiator hoses, mass airflow sensor, and now the thermostat. The dealer charges $400 to replace the THERMOSTAT!!! (a $30 part). Even in peak operating condition, this car would get killed by a Honda Civic in a drag race, and gets lousy gas mileage. Do not be fooled by the Audi badge, these are Volkswagens in disguide, except the maintenance is twice as expensive. Get a Lexus.

Great, But Expensive to Maintain
By Jim in KCMO on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love driving this car. But after owning it for two and 1/2 years I'm now asking myself: is the fun is worth the high maintenance costs? Routine maintenance is much more expensive than the two VW's I drove before this. Example - new front pads and brake fluid - $350 versus about ~$200 on my '95 Jetta. Ouch. Plus, my water pump went out at 60k which required me to also replace the timing belt and serpentine belt at a $1,250 price tag. That one still stings. Ask me in two more years the answer to my above question. If no more major maintenance, then I will have loved this car - if there's much more, then I'd say the costs were not worth the price.

Bring your checkbook
By annp on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 4dr Sedan

When it's running well, it's a great car. Handles great, plenty of power, it feels both sporty and safe. It's also quiet and comfortable. But the car's had one electrical problem after another. It's had 4(!) gas guage sensors, and needs another, among an assortment of other problems that were either fixed under warranty, or are not being fixed because the cost of fixing them is prohibitive. Every trip for maintenance is a $1500-2000 excursion. I think I'll go for a Toyota next time.

Not as bad as it sounds
By UpstateNY Albany on 08/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Always wanted an A4, finally talked myself into getting a certified '99 previously leased by a soccer mom. I figured with the warranty and it being used as a family vehicle I was safe buying my first used car. So far, a few problems. The rear wheel rotor went during first month. Broken magnetic strip in the tiptronic housing. A headight died. A coolant leak and oil leak needed attention. Paint chipping on trunk lid. Radio has spazed out a few times, but no repairs needed. Brakes are acting up at 70k miles. Catalytic converter blew one day. Thank God for the warranty. Otherwise, the car has been great. Very comfortable to drive and ride in.

I looooove it
By randomsurfer on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The car is beautiful, sporty, fun to drive, and gets compliments everywhere I take it. That may be for aesthetic reasons...and I understand some people have problems with Audis, however this is a good year (as opposed to problem years 96-97) and I think I got a good one.

140000 great miles
By ls on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

140,000 miles and we have had two failures, both casued by husnad in a hurry. The plastic on the dipstick handle broke when twisted incorrectly as did the plastic surround for the parking brake. This car has just been terrific to drive and it is outstanding in rain (we live in Western WA, we know rain) and snow. Engine has been bulletproof, interior shows virtually no wear on any surfaces. Our third Audi, certainly not our last.

So much for so little
By mutinyno9 on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have had this car for about 4 months now and really love the car. Not just the looks but performance. I felt the 150hp wasn't enough, and one mod(Chip $400) made me happy with 200hp and 243ft/tq. You wont be dissapointed when buy this car the AWD helps out nicely when driving in snow/rain or just everyday use. The cost of repairs is a little steep, but it lacks there it makes up in exceptional gas milage (for an AWD/Turboed car) of 23/32, and looks and perfornace

Will not give up my 2.8
By Euro Auto Addict on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I dod a tone of research prior to buying an A4. After comparing to five other possibilities I took the plunge and have been the happiest driver since. Found a 2.8 Sport PKG with 5-spd manual with 60K. I have since added a tune kit(air induction, exhaust, brakes, and ECU) from Evolution Motor Sports in Tempe AZ and have had even more fun!! Although it is a little more money for the car in terms of initial cost and maintaining, it will cost the same as buying a cheaper auto that you have to fix coonstantly like the GMC Jimmy I had previously. Living in Colorado every aspect of the A4 is used and enjoyed. Can't wait to get a new one in about 200K miles!!

A4 Quattro
By SavvyPlayer on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car -- just wish I didn't go with silver.

driver's car
By 4 rings on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

lots of fun to drive, quattro makes it super on most any surface. look for narrow dirt roads and have a blast. new version looks good but I like the "pinch" on the top of the trunk on mine better.