Used 1999 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Amazing and Costly
By KScrib

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro sedan is a great great car. I've never owned a car that is so much fun to drive. It is everything anyone would want. It's comfortable, fast, sporty, luxury, and capable. It's an all around great car and I will always own an Audi. The two draw backs are poor fuel economy and premium fuel only. This is a huge expense and maintenance is really expensive. It is well worth the price. The car is now 8 year old with 110,000 miles and shows no rust, no signs of getting old, and runs like a champ. I tell my friends its a 99 and they say it looks brand new. Great car. A++

Heated leather seats, Quatttro, and the way it drives.

Better fuel economy.

Take care of it & it'll take care of you
By JP

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1999 A4 2.8 manual shift used with 28,000 miles on it and have loved it every step of the way to its current 110,000 miles and counting. Ride has remained firm and car is solid and tight. I highly recomend the larger engine to the smaller engine with turbo, otherwise you're just going to be too underpowered and frustrated. It is important to remember though, that this is a german car not japanese and does require a certain degree of regular maintenance, which I've found to be $800 a year on average, all in, to keep things in top condition. I'd definitely buy another Audi!

Quick, tight, solid, and fun to drive. Trunk swallows luggage.

CV boots need to be replaced at a faily regular rate.

Great car, maintenance expensive
By Strahd

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I have never had any part fail on me in 90k miles. It has however been expensive to keep just the regular dealer-recommended maintenance schedule. It seems like no matter what I get replaced, it's $1000. But car still runs great, starts every time without problem in Boston winters and still gets compliments 8 years later.

Sticks to road, but roBs your wallet
By DEO

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought the car used with about 90K miles. Worked fine until 110K. I have since spent over $3000. I've never spent so much on a car and I always buy cars around 100K. However, I've stuck to Japanese cars before. I've learned my lesson. I'm looking to trade it in for a Subaru. What every one else's review says is true. Fun to drive, expensive to maintain.

5spd, AWD

Reliability and/or more reasonably priced parts.

Good basic transportation
By Barry Kramer

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

For the northland the A4T quattro is an excellent choice. However, I have experienced the electronic glitches that my dealership says are unique to this model year. I gave up my BMW E30 with 300k for the quattro and will likely go back in the near future for the fun and driving experience. All in all good transportation, but I would for sure seek out the sport pkg if another A4 hits my radar.

AWD, fold down rear seats opening to the trunk compartment.

I think that Audi has already addressed the electronic issues of this model and would like to see more sport pkgs available. Also, cruise control available with finger tip buttons.