1999 Audi A4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
1999 1.8T Avant - 208,000 Miles
By interactive3 on 10/09/12 18:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Built in October 1998 and purchased in April 1999. This car came with the sport steering wheel and beautiful cloth seats. I added mud guards to help protect the exterior. The interior materials are very good. I've had no issues with the engine. It's unstoppable. It has the original clutch, still going after millions of shits. There's no body rust. The bad: The 99 Avants did have some front suspension issues. They were mostly covered under warranty. The rear wheel bearings need to be changed pretty frequently. The side airbags had problems too, but they're easy to replace.

1999 Audi A4 2.8 AWD
By alex on 08/10/10 15:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

The 1999 audi has really been one of the best cars i have ever owned and i have owned a lot in the past. The reliability of it has been very good i got it with 116,000 on it and it now has 153,000 with only one little problem in the middle of the mileage. It was a valve cover gasket, just leaking a little bit of oil, not a big deal replaced it myself in just under a hour. otherwise haven't had any other problems. the 1999 audi is a great car for someone who cares about cars and knows how to maintain a car.

A Leason Learned
By Rob on 04/13/10 10:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought the car used with 70,000 miles and have somehow managed to put 35,000 on it in a year and change (still trying to figure out how I did that). Even though I bought it with the expectation of putting some money into it, I had no idea that I'd put in almost $5000 for a number of various problems. Valve cover gaskets were replaced, new tires, front axles, new control unit, and assorted other things. Unless you have the tools and the know-how to do a lot of the work yourself, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Not for Poseurs
By Chris on 04/06/10 12:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Our Audi A4 Quattro WAGON 2.8 V6 5spd was very hard to find! It has front AND side impact airbags. It’s not a turbo (no sludge problems!) It was before dual exhaust, so it has a SINGLE muffler! It’s the later 1999 production with the newer (better) style dash and elipsoloid headlights. Mine is the simplest/best A4 to own. With a good mechanic who doesn’t rip you off, you’ll have the suspension fully sorted and many trouble-free miles. The build quality on these cars is incredible – we’ve hit 130K with no drama and never roadside breakdown. Am now parting with it (Vermont – thanks – ask Craig to see the listing) only saying goodbye to “Shanta” because we’re moving overseas.

1999 Audi A4 2.8
By Aaron on 03/30/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

The 1999 audi a4 2.8 wagon is on of the best cars i have ever owned it has 147,000 on it without a single problem. The Quattro goes throw just about anything and that 2.8 has a lot of power at higher rpm but down low is not bad. I do all my own servicing i run amsoil in it and it seems to like that the best. Mileage is just ok could be better.

Never by an Audi again
By Steve on 12/27/08 08:06 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This car was reliable for the first 5 years but since then it has been nothing but a money pit. It has broken down at the side of the road several times and every time it's at least a $700 dollar visit to the garage. The interior quality is bad. Cup holder broke, hatchback interior paneling broke. The engine is underpowered. Like many AWD cars, it goes through tires quickly. It is just not a well built car.

Fun to drive
By denn on 11/03/07 21:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Our Avant is a great car. It's fun to drive and the styling is great. We have had our share of mechanical issues but it still beats driving the less than inspiring others.

Quick, Great Handling, and Reliable
By raize221 on 04/01/06 13:49 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

(currently 48000 miles) The car accelerates fast and when the turbo kicks in it takes off, especially above 3500 RPM. I like the gearing (5- spd manual) as first gear is long enough that I usually don't have to shift mid-corner when turning after a stop sign/light. The interrior is comfortable (leather) with many adjustments for seat location and the audio system is well done. The airbag warning light has illuminated twice since I bought it for seemingly no reason, after taking it to a dealer they said nothing was wrong and turned it off, so not a big problem. The car runs great every time I start it and is very reliable. I highly recommend a GIAC ecu flash to improve performance.

Beware of the Audi Certified Used Car
By IMissMyBeetle! on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchsed the Audi Avant as a replacement for my VW New Beetle. At the time, I felt comfortable purchasing a pre-owned car because the dealership had reconditioned it, and it was covered under the Audi Assured Warranty. After about 6 months, the Certification was worth the paper it was written on. The car has had numberous problems, not to mention it was sold to me with body damage. Audi needs to do better, I wouldn't recommend the Audi Assured program to anyone.

5 Years and Going Strong
By st-elias on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new 5 years ago and I have had a smile ever since. I have comfortably driven it in temperatures ranging from -56F to 103F. The quattro traction system is unbeatable on snow and ice; the car provides a great sense of stability and security. I have maintained it to the manual and at 70K miles I replaced all the belts and water pump as a preventative measure. I had only minor problems during the warranty period and all were repaired quickly and completely by the dealer. The Avant gives me most of the storage capacity of an SUV without the penalty of bulk.