1999 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
MISTAKE
By mnels on 02/20/12 19:09 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is a terrible car. Do not do it. I sold my Lincoln hoping the AWD would help me out in the winter and I sold the car within 2 months of having it. My clutch was bad, the back axles were screechy (500 fix), wiring for blinker was bad (200 fix), the CD player didn't work right, the tape player ate tapes, the cigerrete lighter wouldn't open(I couldn't charge my phone or gps) one of the rear windows wouldn't roll up or down, the display screen was broken, the bumper began to fall off after 2 weeks, the buttons were coming off on the key fob.. AWFUL

Solid little car
By b5 obsessor on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

So after my Saab 9000 died, I got my little Audi, and I have been loving itt since. I've put a couple of thousand miles on it, and I love it. Quattro has actually saved my life, and the car is definitely one of the most solid feeling cars that I've ever been in. I love how this car has attracted a cult of modders, if I ever need anything, I just go on the forums and do the diy, the 1.8t is vital, and the automatic just kills the whole experience because turbo+manual+quattro= some slightly illegal amazingness.

Quattro!
By raudi on 07/18/10 12:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car handles like no other car I have driven in my life. The Audi grips and grips, and that more than makes up for the lack of power from the 1.8t. I have more confidence in the handling and the solidity of the Audi. The only thing that I've had to replace is a window regulator on my car. It cost 250, but that was reasonable.

Just keep up with maintenance. easy
By NetoLopez on 05/29/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car about a year ago, since then I've only needed to replace the timing belt. no mayor problems the only things that have been replaced are parts that any other car replacement is needed. i do most of the work myself. the Quattro system is awesome all year round also the turbo is strong (just check you oil on every gas fill up) this German car is built to last. at 160 HP i keep up with cars that have 20 HP or 30 Hp more then me, i do not recommend the A4 to people who don't know about cars. I don't think i want to sell it.

Good Car Overall
By Kyle P on 07/17/09 12:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought the car with 155000, call me crazy but I did. Knock on wood nothing major has happened. Although, I wanted to change my transmission fluid and itís a huge deal because Audi has once again made it difficult. Seeing past this, it has been fun to drive and everything still works except the triptronic sensor is bad but still shifts fine in "d". This car rewards good driving, if you take it easy, the car will outlast you.

Good basic transportation
By Barry Kramer on 11/16/06 09:31 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

For the northland the A4T quattro is an excellent choice. However, I have experienced the electronic glitches that my dealership says are unique to this model year. I gave up my BMW E30 with 300k for the quattro and will likely go back in the near future for the fun and driving experience. All in all good transportation, but I would for sure seek out the sport pkg if another A4 hits my radar.

Good car - When working properly.
By Ty W. Thomas on 10/21/06 13:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this car with 43,500 miles. So far in 3500 miles here is what has been done to the car: Coil Pack replaced-$451.00 Sunroof switch - $60.00 Gauge cluster went out - $561.00 Airbag light continues to come on - $150.00 (Dealership has not solved the problem yet-light just came on again!!) Now the water pump is making a bearing noise! Cost: $502.00. I am a VW/Audi enthusiast and am severely disappointed with this car. To think I sold a perfectly good 96 Passat TDI for this? The car did sit outside for a while before I purchased it-but still... Fuel mileage has been 21 city, 28 hwy. SO SO.

Stunning
By Strike_Eagle on 08/08/06 06:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

First I want to get one thing out of the way, It's an Audi, some repairs are going to be expensive. If you want cheap, this is not the car for your. On a better note, This car is absolutely amazing to drive, I have the Sport and Cold weather packages as well and let me tell you, make sure yours has the sport package. This vehicle grips the road like a magnet! Winter driving with the Quattro system will not leave one disappointed, Truly is the ultimate snowmobile. Also do not be fooled by the performance specs... while not a sports car, the 1.8T engine has plenty of get up and go to make even a grown man giggle like a little kid.

Money pit
By ms on 12/18/05 15:51 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is a rich man's car. I have spent more money in repairs and maintenance than on the car itself. ($2,300 in costs to pass emissions test.) I am at the garage every other month with a new problem. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and avoid this car.

Get an Audi 1.8T quattro sport!
By dkletter on 12/16/05 17:34 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Very fun to drive! I got an average of 33 mpg when on a long freeway drive! Great car for the money!