Used 1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

MISTAKE
By mnels

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is a terrible car. Do not do it. I sold my Lincoln hoping the AWD would help me out in the winter and I sold the car within 2 months of having it. My clutch was bad, the back axles were screechy (500 fix), wiring for blinker was bad (200 fix), the CD player didn't work right, the tape player ate tapes, the cigerrete lighter wouldn't open(I couldn't charge my phone or gps) one of the rear windows wouldn't roll up or down, the display screen was broken, the bumper began to fall off after 2 weeks, the buttons were coming off on the key fob.. AWFUL

Heated seats, sunroof, looked good

dear Audi, start from scratch MPG's weren't great even though car was small should've made tighter turns for a small car sound system did not sound good seats aren't very comfortable not a lot of interior room etc.

Solid little car
By b5 obsessor

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

So after my Saab 9000 died, I got my little Audi, and I have been loving itt since. I've put a couple of thousand miles on it, and I love it. Quattro has actually saved my life, and the car is definitely one of the most solid feeling cars that I've ever been in. I love how this car has attracted a cult of modders, if I ever need anything, I just go on the forums and do the diy, the 1.8t is vital, and the automatic just kills the whole experience because turbo+manual+quattro= some slightly illegal amazingness.

the 1.8t engine can be pushed to over 300 hp with a couple thousand dollars tops, solidity of the quattro, and the i love the understated beauty of this car.

More stock power (already addressed), improve the gearing, and put on a more aggressive rear diff (oversteer please) and keep making em like this

Quattro!
By raudi

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car handles like no other car I have driven in my life. The Audi grips and grips, and that more than makes up for the lack of power from the 1.8t. I have more confidence in the handling and the solidity of the Audi. The only thing that I've had to replace is a window regulator on my car. It cost 250, but that was reasonable.

the quattro, the easy modifications that can take this car from well behaved commuter into a hard core sports saloon

more power, and a system that sends most of the power to the rear wheels, improve the reliability, and most of these have been addressed by Audi

Just keep up with maintenance. easy
By NetoLopez

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car about a year ago, since then I've only needed to replace the timing belt. no mayor problems the only things that have been replaced are parts that any other car replacement is needed. i do most of the work myself. the Quattro system is awesome all year round also the turbo is strong (just check you oil on every gas fill up) this German car is built to last. at 160 HP i keep up with cars that have 20 HP or 30 Hp more then me, i do not recommend the A4 to people who don't know about cars. I don't think i want to sell it.

The Turbo and the Quattro system are brilliant when mixed in a Audi.

ABS Module

Good Car Overall
By Kyle P

1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought the car with 155000, call me crazy but I did. Knock on wood nothing major has happened. Although, I wanted to change my transmission fluid and itís a huge deal because Audi has once again made it difficult. Seeing past this, it has been fun to drive and everything still works except the triptronic sensor is bad but still shifts fine in "d". This car rewards good driving, if you take it easy, the car will outlast you.

Quattro is unstoppable in snow, handling, interior, exterior styling

improve durability, and make the car simpler to work on