Used 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Buyer Beware
By John M in T.O.

1999 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in July '09 and loved the way it drove. However, after owning it for 8 months it needed $1250.00 for a valve seal problem and at the same time my mechanic recommended to change the timing belt as well, which is another $1300. Then I had a heavy vibration through my steering wheel which I decided was the last straw. Instead of fixing everything, I traded it in on a '97 Lexus ES 300 which I should have bought to begin with. This Lexus is amazing and so smooth as well. Be understanding that if you do purchase this Audi car that you have to be prepared for heavy labor costs on fixing it. Everything is $500+ and some servicing will ding you $1000 plus.

Favorite Features

Quattro for the winter, Tiptronic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

These cars are very expensive to maintain. The Reliability is not good and major things go wrong. Especially leaks.

Take care of it & it'll take care of you
By JP

1999 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1999 A4 2.8 manual shift used with 28,000 miles on it and have loved it every step of the way to its current 110,000 miles and counting. Ride has remained firm and car is solid and tight. I highly recomend the larger engine to the smaller engine with turbo, otherwise you're just going to be too underpowered and frustrated. It is important to remember though, that this is a german car not japanese and does require a certain degree of regular maintenance, which I've found to be $800 a year on average, all in, to keep things in top condition. I'd definitely buy another Audi!

Favorite Features

Quick, tight, solid, and fun to drive. Trunk swallows luggage.

Suggested Improvements

CV boots need to be replaced at a faily regular rate.

Bring your checkbook
By annp

1999 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

When it's running well, it's a great car. Handles great, plenty of power, it feels both sporty and safe. It's also quiet and comfortable. But the car's had one electrical problem after another. It's had 4(!) gas guage sensors, and needs another, among an assortment of other problems that were either fixed under warranty, or are not being fixed because the cost of fixing them is prohibitive. Every trip for maintenance is a $1500-2000 excursion. I think I'll go for a Toyota next time.

Favorite Features

Great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability. Less flimsy cupholders.

LOVE MY CAR
By Bono

1999 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

This is the best car that I have ever had. The only complaint that I have is the fuel ecomony.....

Awesome car!
By Audioduke

1999 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Audis are very popular in Seattle area but get no respect in LA area. So bought 99 1/2 with 40k miles and "2 yr Audi Assured" from dealer after hearing reliability probs. This is awesome car... More I drive more I like. I didn't care for BMW 3 series styling and came across too many rude people with attitude drying beamers. C class is not sporty enough for me so Audi with its good looks was the car for me.

Favorite Features

Solid feel inside and out, handling, ride, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Backseat are small even for my 2 and 5 year olds!