My 5th German car and best yet!
By mrmatt on
1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD
I bought this car with 113k on the clock and it is in great condition. It has 125k on it now and I intend to drive it till 400k if it'll let me. The v6 engine is awesome but know you are not getting any modification potential other than exhaust. Performance chips are worthless for this engine. It corners great for a bigger car and the torque this engine provides makes it great for around town driving. This is my first lux AWD sedan and with the 5spd it is easily my favorite car owned so far. Very sleek exterior and interior. The build quality is top notch and the 2.8 has been extremely reliable as long as you keep up with maintenance. I couldn't have bought a better car.
Favorite Features
Quattro: The AWD system is awesom and handles extremely well for a heavier car. Suspension: The suspension is comfy but also very tight with a small amout of body roll but not as much as expected from a stock luxury sedan. very sporty. 2.8L: The 2.8L is a powerful and efficient engine. It is quick enough and the MPG(US) is averaging 24.5mpg. Build Quality: The interior build quality is what I love the most. the dash is sleek and doesn't rattle like some of my other economy cars, (1996-1999 jettas)
Suggested Improvements
CONS: Performance: The 2.8L engine is not the most powerful thing around and is probably quite heavy. thus the front bias is more than the 1.8T. Lesser handling. MPG: I get 24.5mpg at 75% highway driving. That is probably the best you can get with this car. It isn't terrible for a v6 with 200hp but it isn't a 4cyl either. Snotty factor: I love this car to death and bought it with 113k for $3000. the paint is awesome, the car has no problems and it is extremely clean. I can't help but get the feeling people look at me and resent me like my parents gave me this car free. Good and bad I guess. Maint. cost: The parts cost a premium for Audis. Do the work yourself, nuff said.