Used 1998 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Fun to drive, always gets me home!
By TT3

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this A4 new in '98 and the weak points I've found are wheel bearings and the lower door trim moldings. The engine is as sweet as the day I bought it! Driving with Q is the only way I'll drive from now on, it never fails me. I treat my cars well and find they in turn treat me well. I have replaced two wheel bearings in the 165,000 miles I've driven, did them myself. One wheel has been replaced but that was my fault and I just replaced my 3rd door trim molding, seems Audi got cheap making these. All in all I'd give this car a solid "9". It drives in ANY weather and has better traction no matter what the conditions. I'm just about to order a 2007 A4 if that tells you anything.

Favorite Features

1.8t, Q All-wheel drive, a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better wheel bearings, door trims too.

Civilized Driver's Car
By audi driver

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Perfect balance between comfort and sport. Whether you are just running errands or just out for a relaxing enthusiastic drive, it's a pleasure to drive. Everything is right where you want it in the interior. Great sounding stereo and Quattro handles awesome on wet/snowy roads. Plus, when you get into your 1998 Audi next to someone getting into a 2001 Honda(and you paid less than them), you can't but think "sucker"

Favorite Features

Quattro, Bose radio, leather seats, climate control, and the sound of the 30v V6.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are useless. rear ashtray cover (breaks off anytime anyone sits in the rear seat).

Great Car!!!
By kalin

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car! I don't know why every one says it is not reliable, mine has 137k and runs like brand new! Of course it will have some minor things to fix since it is almost 10 years old but this happens to every car you buy. For the low price you can get one these days, nothing is better! The handling is exceptional (could be improved with larger sway bars), the engine is very good but needs a little more power easily achieved by replacing the ecu (up to 200hp) and a better cat and intake system. The bose stereo is better than the mark levinson on my friend's lexus. The car is soo much fun to drive it will always put a smile on your face especially on a curvy road. BUY ONE!!

Favorite Features

Handling, steering feel, engine response, interior quality and function, stereo, comfort, large trunk, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power and stiffer suspension, NEEDS BETTER CUPHOLDERS!

A Delight to Drive
By DH

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for almost a year now and it is a delight to drive. The AWD is great along with the tiptronic transmission. The car had low miles when I bought it and was well maintained, but still had to have the timing belt replaced @ 60,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The exterior color blue, interior design-blue/white combo is the best and the red light, tiptronic transmission, moonroof, awd, sport suspension, trunk, and wheels.

Suggested Improvements

The car doesn't move well in auto drive, the "normal" morning minute rattle, brake noise and better brake hoses, stronger timing belt, matching size side-view mirrors.

Good car
By DeezNets25

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Fun, quick, good handling, good on gas,and quiet comfortable ride.

Favorite Features

Got to love Quattro. Excellent in snow and poor weather. The sound the emits from under the hood is beautiful (somewhat quiet while still being intimidating).

Suggested Improvements

More rear comfort. Better placement of cup holders.