1998 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Great Car!
By John S. on 11/14/05 12:25 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

When I bought this car, I lived in the Minneapolis area and had the strong need for All Wheel drive without the need for a pick-up truck, AWD van or SUV. The A4 has been fun and basically reliable. I had one front headlight lamp and both front upper control arms replaced under warranty. Out of warranty I've had to have the ambient temperature and coolant sensors and brake master cylinder replaced.

Some Good Things, Some Bad Things
By Robert on 08/06/05 12:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 4dr Sedan

It is expensive to fix, unless you are a DIY or can find a good mechanic who knows these cars. Do not bring back to the dealer, esp. if it's used. Some issues with control arm and tie rods, but I put lots of miles on it. The digital readouts sometimes do not work well, esp. if there is significant climate change (I live in New England where it can change by 30 degrees in a day.) A/C is crisp and good, Engine is sound, body is excellent and resists salt erosion and wear, mechanically there are some issues esp over pothole roads. It is fast and nimble car, no back seat leg room.

Audi
By Suzi on 06/25/05 13:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased my Audi A4 2.8 Quattro new after studying reports on AWD and 4 wheel drive vehicles on the Internet and in libraries, I narrowed the field to 5 potential cars. I then test drove all of them, most more than once, on surface streets, highway and the Colorado mountain highways to check cornering and ability to keep up with the pack (you know what I mean if you've ever driven I-70). The Audi A4 stood out far above all the others! 8 years later, I am still a huge fan! All scheduled maintenance has been performed, but no major repairs have been necessary. The car still handles and performs like a dream, and looks as good and stylish as any new auto. I love driving this car!

The ultimate love hate relationship
By Shawndh on 06/24/05 10:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love to drive this car. The interior is the best in class. I added a GIAC chip which gave a little more throttle response and that was all the power I needed. The 2.8 is very smooth, the handling is great and it's a georgous car. On the other hand there have been some reliablity issues. I've replaced: eng fan, control arm, tie rods, defective CD chg, vac line (recall), cam seals, T-stat, and now the ABS controller is dying. Other probs were from fine tuning modifications that I added. I do most of my own maint and shop for aftermarket parts online and junkyards for deals on parts. So it hasn't been that bad financially. But I wouldn't recommend to a non-DIY type.

Still Holding Up
By Brian on 05/30/05 21:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for three years and it's held up fairly well. My only problems so far have been a broken switch for the right rear window, faulty door seals in the left rear that allowed water to leak in when it rained hard, and the headlight sprayer hose caused a leak to the washer fluid reservoir. Other than that this car has been fantastic. It handles well, still gets compliments on it's looks, and the FWD version (which is a few hundred lbs lighter than Quattro) is fast enough to pass anyone I want, even in 5th gear on the highway. I've got 93000 miles now and I plan to drive this car into the ground:)

Quality Problems
By Jen on 04/25/05 19:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I absolutly love my 1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Sedan, but I cannot believe how often I am in the service departmant at the Audi dealership. I have had to replace countless airbags, clutches, and electronic compontes. I have had to replace cracked CV boots and joints. The CD player has malfunctioned several times. I am really dissapointed at the reliability of this car. I have had to have it towed to the dealership at least three times with in the last four years. I am not impressed and will never buy an Audi again despite how much I love it, my wallet does not.

good but not great
By BillytheWIZ on 04/04/05 13:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

the 1998 Audi A4 is a great driver's car and has nice styling, but its not really a performance car compared to my BMW. The AWD system is awesome, the car handles well, rides smoothly, and has tons of cool features for the money. My mileage was a little less than I expected, 23 MPG highway / 19 MPG, city but not horrible. I have had issues that the (GM) dealer took care of when I purchased the car (oil leaks, control arms, and tie rods). Do not take your car to the dealer for repairs. Get a good mechanic that knows these cars.

Audi A4 - 1998
By michelleg on 03/11/05 17:36 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have had nothing but problems with my 1998 Audi A4. It has had electrical problems in the dash. The tie rods all had to be replaced (they have since been recalled). At 70,000 miles the turbo unit had to be replaced ($1500.00) The CV joints have leaked several times. The exhaust fell off the bottom of the car. The timing belt broke and damaged the entire engine. The cost to rebuild it was $2000.00. The ABS light is now on, I just took it to the shop to find out that the entire module is bad and the estimate to fix it is $2420.00. I just picked it up from having the motor rebuilt three weeks ago. I would not recommend that anybody buy this model car. It handles great and is fun to drive(when it runs). Beware

best car in its class
By mark on 03/05/05 17:44 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

My 1998 Audi A4 2.8 Sedan runs smooth, is fast, and luxiouros. It held up really well for seven years. The AWD option is a beautiful thing to have. There's nothing like the 2.8 engine. This car looked the same until 2001.

1.8T Quattro
By Jaxtom on 03/02/05 10:56 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this as a "certified" used vehicle 3 years ago - a 5-speed Quattro with already-installed performance chip (recommended!). Performance and handling are great. Had a few issues after purchase but all were taken care of under warranty. Back seat is small for three - you won't haul the family comfortably over a long distance, but as a daily commuter car it's great.