Used 1998 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love Hate Typical Euro
By DrivingEnthusiast

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Loved the car. Quattro, V6, manual - everything I wanted in an automobile. Unfortunately, I owned a Honda and a Toyota before my A4. Audi is totally performance oriented and cares nothing about vehicle life after the 50k warranty. The following were replaced from 70k to 110k: tie rods, suspension components, electronic controls, wheel bearings, and ABS sensor. There was a lifter tick for the last 10k miles so I'm sure something else was about to fail. Timing belt change job cost $1400 at 90k. I kept great care of this car and it kept breaking. I don't care how great Quattro was I'll never go back to Audi/VW.

Favorite Features

Quattro - great for snow, and the car handled on rails during spirited driving. V6 plenty powerful. Decent gas mileage (avg'd 24mpg for vehicle life).

Suggested Improvements

ZERO reliability. Driving home from the shop after a repair I was constantly anticipating the next thing to break. Wondering what the repair bill would total scared me. That's no way to drive - especially for a driving enthusiast. Performance doesn't mean anything if the car is always broken.

A great ride
By coloradoquattro

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The Audi A4 has been the best car that I have ever owned. It is the perfect balance between performance and economy. I regularly get 30 mpg, but it certainly doesn't drive like an economy car. The turbo gives it power at high altitude that you just can't get with a normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine. Quattro all-wheel drive keeps it on the road in all weather conditions. It has provided 165,000 miles of trouble free driving with only routine maintenance. I haven't abused it, but I don't baby it either. Never a dull moment.

Favorite Features

Quattro all-wheel drive. Performance and handling. Fuel economy. Great looks. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Only complaint is the inability to put climate control into recirculate mode when the outside temperature is below about 35 degrees.

Don't Do It
By RJ

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I loved driving this car. After a while, things started going wrong. Swing arms, tie rods, wheel bearings, speed sensors... this car cost me thousands over 4 years - just to keep it on the road!! Quattro is amazing and this car is extremely fun to drive. Beware, though, because it will cost you a fortune in the long run. I will never buy Audi (or European for that matter) again. Audi has destroyed my faith in "German engineering" - or lack thereof.

Favorite Features

2.8 V6 Performance, quattro handling, exterior design - it's a cool car no doubt!

Suggested Improvements

Reliability hands down. Dealer service costs. Seats uncomfortable on long trips. Lousy cupholders. Gas mileage 18-20mpg for a sub compact car with a small V6?? Shady build quality.

Don't do it
By pbfoot

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my baby (silver A4 quattro) 4 years ago with 70k mi on her. Put 40k on her in those 4 years and have one thing to say: she was the best car in the world, but she was extremely unreliable and expensive to maintain. Tie rods, control arms, electrical modules, wheel bearings, engine seals, ABS module, air bag sensor. You name it, it broke, all of them broke, and she was in the shop for weeks at a time. It cost a fortune to get her out of the shop every time. I babied this car and got nothing in return. Sure, she handled on rails and had a great performance V6, but there is no way I'd ever consider giving Audi another shot. Too expensive and unreliable.

Favorite Features

Handling in gravel, rain, snow, whatever. Backroad driving was never so much fun. A4 quattro with stick shift and the spirited V6 was a blast... when everything worked. It's hard going to fwd or rwd again, but quattro just isn't worth the repair bills. Maybe subaru, 4matic, or xdrive can deliver.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. 17-23 average for a sub-compact car and premium fuel? All-wheel drive or not, that's ridiculous. Reliability. Something broke every 5k at least. Expensive at the shop. I will never spend another dollar on Audi regardless whether I hear 100 success stories from best friends or not.

Wonderful, but be good with a wrench
By Woll

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought mine used three years ago. I have had many cars but this one was great, terrific pick up, quattro snow traction, excellent ride over all surfaces. I say "was" because it was destroyed in rear-end accident last week. This is not a car you want brought to the dealer w/no warranty! Ever. You must plan on repairing items yourself or finding a local guy. If you can do that, the car is affordable, if not, don't buy it or buy a newer one. Mine has been somewhat reliable, but the engine is particularly trouble prone. I have personally done the following: replaced all camshaft seals (tricky), timing belt, front main seals, wheel bearings, oil pan.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, excellent smooth torquey engine. Nice manual transmission, Lovely ride. Quality of interior, seat comfort. Lots of room in the trunk and I love the fold down seats.

Suggested Improvements

Remote only works within 5 feet. Until I fixed them, engine oil leaks. Absurd useless cupholders. Digital climate controls works very well but some wierdness. Engine needs better gasketing.