Used 1998 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Must have bought a lemon
By SM

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car used in 2007. It was a 1-owner vehicle with 65,000 miles. 2 weeks after I drove it off the dealership, it broke down. Thank goodness I decided to buy the extended warranty because it was $1500 to fix all that went wrong. In the year and a half I owned this car, it was nothing but problems. I would be anticipating it to break down every 2 months. Fuel line froze 4 times with Heet in the gas tank, tie rods needed replaced, ABS went out, radio needed a code that nobody could find. Would not buy an Audi unless I was making big bucks. Expect to pay a lot for maintenance.

Heated seats, sunroof, acceleration, AWD.

Make replacement parts cheaper and easier to come by. Improve reliability of this Audi...many weeks without a car due to problems.

Gentlemen, Open Your Wallets
By eyemd

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle new and loaded with all options including the 2.8 V6 because I was seduced by timeless looks and the AWD feature. I took loving care of the car, returning to the dealer for all scheduled service intervals and driving the car gently. Once the warranty expired, I was rewarded with a series of "routine" repairs, many well in excess of $1000, including the infamous timing belt/water pump/main seal change at 65K miles, followed shortly by new tie rods/ball joints at 75K. I had intended to keep this car for at least 150K miles, but chose not to do so by enriching the dealer (and later, competent but equally costly independent shop). Will never purchase another Audi/VW.

Interior and exterior style

Outsource the drive train and suspension to Honda or Toyota!

Terrific reliable car, but costly
By gtv6

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

100,000 miles later, it has never let me down, but be prepared to pay. Suspension bits especially, and there are an infinite number of bits in the quattro suspension. The interior is unmatched and extremely durable, and Audi paint is excellent. There are few cars of the era that do so many things well, including 27mpg.

Predictable handling, artful interior, winter security. Looks new 10 years from the factory. 24 valve is huge improvement over the 12 valve.

Back seat is a torture chamber for adults. Has routinely burned a quart of oil between changes since the start.

Great car
By Aidan Grace

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I really like this car. When buying the car I thought I would be fun and safe ride and went for it despite its low ground clearance, I was worried about winter driving. I live in northern Vermont where winters are long, snowy and icy. It turned out to be the best winter car I have ever driven. When it got really bad out we would leave the all wheel drive truck with studded snow tires at home and use the Audi. I did put a set of good studded snow tires on it but what made it stick to the road was the great suspension and quattro system, by adjusting the throttle you could decide if you wanted to over steer or under steer

Winter drive, twisty back road driving, Hhgh speed highway driving

Back the governor system up to 155 mph instead of the 135 mph that it is now, also to people who are getting only low 20s mpg try going 85 mph instead of 75 mph and smoothing out your acceleration. At 75 mph I get 27 mpg and at 85 mph I get 31 mpg.

Lovin it so far
By Kiri

1998 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I just bought my A4 last October with very close to 100k miles on it, but I know the previous owner and know that it was well cared for. So far, I'm loving it! Except for the recent trip to my mechanic, where I found out that my tie rod had a slight problem, as well as my wheel bearings, so that was a bit to get fixed. When I bought it, the track for the moonroof was broken; it still can pop up, it just won't open completely, so I'm in no big hurry to fix it. Other than small things like that, I'm loving it!

Manual transmission, sound from under the hood, good handling in all weather (even w/out awd!), comfortable ride for long trips.

The cup holders are ridiculous! They don't effectively hold anything larger than a soda can.