1998 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Don't do it
By pbfoot on 07/08/07 19:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my baby (silver A4 quattro) 4 years ago with 70k mi on her. Put 40k on her in those 4 years and have one thing to say: she was the best car in the world, but she was extremely unreliable and expensive to maintain. Tie rods, control arms, electrical modules, wheel bearings, engine seals, ABS module, air bag sensor. You name it, it broke, all of them broke, and she was in the shop for weeks at a time. It cost a fortune to get her out of the shop every time. I babied this car and got nothing in return. Sure, she handled on rails and had a great performance V6, but there is no way I'd ever consider giving Audi another shot. Too expensive and unreliable.

Wonderful, but be good with a wrench
By Woll on 02/04/07 06:20 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought mine used three years ago. I have had many cars but this one was great, terrific pick up, quattro snow traction, excellent ride over all surfaces. I say "was" because it was destroyed in rear-end accident last week. This is not a car you want brought to the dealer w/no warranty! Ever. You must plan on repairing items yourself or finding a local guy. If you can do that, the car is affordable, if not, don't buy it or buy a newer one. Mine has been somewhat reliable, but the engine is particularly trouble prone. I have personally done the following: replaced all camshaft seals (tricky), timing belt, front main seals, wheel bearings, oil pan.

Fun to drive, always gets me home!
By TT3 on 01/21/07 15:20 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this A4 new in '98 and the weak points I've found are wheel bearings and the lower door trim moldings. The engine is as sweet as the day I bought it! Driving with Q is the only way I'll drive from now on, it never fails me. I treat my cars well and find they in turn treat me well. I have replaced two wheel bearings in the 165,000 miles I've driven, did them myself. One wheel has been replaced but that was my fault and I just replaced my 3rd door trim molding, seems Audi got cheap making these. All in all I'd give this car a solid "9". It drives in ANY weather and has better traction no matter what the conditions. I'm just about to order a 2007 A4 if that tells you anything.

Civilized Driver's Car
By audi driver on 01/10/07 17:09 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Perfect balance between comfort and sport. Whether you are just running errands or just out for a relaxing enthusiastic drive, it's a pleasure to drive. Everything is right where you want it in the interior. Great sounding stereo and Quattro handles awesome on wet/snowy roads. Plus, when you get into your 1998 Audi next to someone getting into a 2001 Honda(and you paid less than them), you can't but think "sucker"

Great Car!!!
By kalin on 01/08/07 17:02 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car! I don't know why every one says it is not reliable, mine has 137k and runs like brand new! Of course it will have some minor things to fix since it is almost 10 years old but this happens to every car you buy. For the low price you can get one these days, nothing is better! The handling is exceptional (could be improved with larger sway bars), the engine is very good but needs a little more power easily achieved by replacing the ecu (up to 200hp) and a better cat and intake system. The bose stereo is better than the mark levinson on my friend's lexus. The car is soo much fun to drive it will always put a smile on your face especially on a curvy road. BUY ONE!!

A Delight to Drive
By DH on 12/13/06 21:27 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for almost a year now and it is a delight to drive. The AWD is great along with the tiptronic transmission. The car had low miles when I bought it and was well maintained, but still had to have the timing belt replaced @ 60,000 miles.

Good car
By DeezNets25 on 11/16/06 13:21 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Fun, quick, good handling, good on gas,and quiet comfortable ride.

Qauttro all the way
By ee54880 on 07/11/06 21:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have owned my A4 for 3 years and yes I have replaced a lot of parts, but with some research and a little know how, repair costs are 1/4 of what dealers charge. It handles great, has nice interior and looks great. I will never buy anything but an Audi again period!

Always in the shop
By Jason on 05/28/06 18:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have had my Audi A4 for about 6 years. I bought it used in 2000. The car is not bad, but it always has something wrong with it. I have had the Air Bag light come on about 3 times. The Check Engine light comes on a lot, too. The Turbo burned up once. The car has had many problems with the electrical system. I just can't afford to drive the car, since things are always going wrong with it.

A great car, when it works
By joeyb on 03/26/06 06:31 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

First of all I would like to say that overall, I've had pretty good luck with this car considering all of the problems items I've read about in other reviews. It has great interior and exterior styling, rides nice, and coupled with good tires, the AWD is awesome for the New England winters. But If you are going to purchase an earlier year Audi, 3 conditions must be met. 1- make sure you are under some kind of warranty 2- If not, make sure you are handy with a wrench (many of the problem items can be fixed yourself). 3- if you can't fix it yourself, find a good mechanic as the dealer repair costs are horrible.