1998 Audi A4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
You've heard it before
By Drew M on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car used a couple of years back. It was a great car, without any problems for about 8 months. Since then, it pretty much lines up with the things said in other reviews. Be prepared to pay to keep it moving! It is going back into the shop today (just got it back 2 weeks ago) and will probably be sold after that.

1998 A4 Avant
By Mudbone on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

The ride is solid, road feel is excellent and it looks great. I purchased it used with 37k miles at the end of the original 4 year warranty period. I purchased an extended warranty from a local Audi dealership which has paid for itself in service cost savings. The warranty covered the instrument cluster, an oil gasket leak, a cv boot and a power window switch. My dealer has given me excellent service and the car has held up well under daily commutes in the Arizona heat. The cost of wear and tear maintenance is high. Find a mechanic other than the dealer for the regular maintenance items.

Not a grocery getter!
By Not a grocery getter on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

This is an amazing car with handling, power, and all wheel drive packed in an inconscpicuous wagon. My friend just purchased a 2003 Mercedes C240 and it has been back to the shop 4 times in the first 10,000 miles. My A4 2.8 has had minor expected repairs but it has over 90,000. I recommend replacing the timing belt before 50,000 miles, I've only heard nightmares. I also think the water pumps came from Detroit not Germany. Although I will always own an Audi.

Everything you've heard is true
By compcond on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Purchased new; all service done by Audi dealers. Traded at 49,000 miles and $5,700 in non-warranted repairs... 6 instrument panels, 4 batteries, engine computer, climate control computer, catalytic converter, steering rack, cam shaft tensioner seals, stereo, 2 speakers, coolant reservoir, coolant temperature sensor, fuel guage sending unit, turn signal stalk, turn signal flasher, tiptronic switch, passenger-seat bushings, 2 passenger side CV boots, alternator, EGR secondary return pipe.

Not reliable at all
By a4wagon on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is junky. I owned it less than a year and had $7000.00+ in repairs. Most of the time this was my primary vehicle, I was driving my 1995 Dakota instead, because it always runs. The timing belts on these will not last until the recommended service interval. This is critical for you to replace early if you have a 2.8 car. You will be VERY VERY unhappy if your belt goes. This will cost you thousands. Just replace the belt at about 50,000. I promise you'll be glad you did. After that disaster, the car still has not been running well, and as you know it takes weeks and weeks to get these repairs done on an a4 at any of the dealerships.

avant quattro
By audiguy on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

geat car, wish it was thrifty with gas. 6 cyl is smooth, but not fast off the line.

You'll love driving this car
By compcond on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Back to the dealer for service... lots of it. Mine was purchased new and has 48,000 miles on it. I've replaced the computer, catalytic converter, cam tensioner seals, 5 instrument panels, 3 batteries, coolant reservoir, coolant temperature sensor, fuel guage sending unit, stereo, 2 speakers, and the alternator. Over $4,000 in billable repairs since the 3 year warranty ran out not including maintenance items.

Great car with an extended warranty
By cary on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Bought car new almost 5 years ago. Love driving it but there's no excuse for having to replace the battery 3X, the instrument panel 2X, the alternator, turn signal stalk, tiptronic magnetic switch, computer, coolant temp sensor, fuel tank sending unit, coolent reservoir, cam tensioner seals, hazard flasher switch, radio, 2 speakers, and 2 CV boots in 48000 miles. I keep looking behind me to see if the extended warranty company has sent Tony Soprano after me!

Will Look Swanky in 2020
By A.E. Sadler on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Unlike the Passat wagon, Avant styling is sublime, it's performance striking. It's in the details. VW settled on aluminum roof racks, A4 goes steel. VW goes for a painfully boring interior, Audi goes tight & classic. Avant is designed with just enough room for hauling, but it handles like a cool, little sportscar. Drawbacks: no backseat space. A4 performance at low speeds is annoyingly sluggish. It zips confidently on the highway, but the neighborhood runs is a crawl from 1st to 2nd gear. This for a V6? The red dash is cool, but tough on the eyes.

My A4: I think I'll keep it...
By j.boy deluxe on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I factory-ordered my A4 Avant with the works -- Pelican Blue metallic over beige leather with sunroof, sport suspension, Bose sound and (most important) the five-speed manual. Although I've put only 44,000 miles on it in four years, I still have to say that my A4's about as reliable as my old Acura Integra GS-R. Small problems arose at the very beginning (jammed CD changer and balky starter and cruise control switches) but since then its been smooth sailing. I foresee putting many more years and miles on this vehicle.