Used 1998 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Great quality, reliable, fun to drive.
By Denis Abramov

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have driven my pearl white Audi for about 3 months now. Before this Audi, I was driving a 2002 Volvo S60 (great car also). I have all factory packages that were available for this car. My car has a 30v V6 which sounds lovely before 4k rpms, after that, it builds up this roar, all the way to redline of 6800. The sport package is outstanding (if you prefer comfort, you wouldn't like it). The sport seats are somewhat hard but support you when entering a corner at 40+mph. Suspension is a bit harsh too but the car handles like it is on rails. Cruising at 80mph is a breeze and my friends can't even tell we're going 80. Take care of it, it will last forever!

Favorite Features

Legendary Quattro system, Bose sound, sport seats, handling, reliability (no problems at 127k miles), interior and exterior design, quiet ride, material quality, and of course, the switchblade key. :)

Suggested Improvements

The seals leak on Audi (weak spot on any older Audi/VW as well as rubber engine mounts wearing out - easy and cheap fix though), make sure you change them when you change the timing belt. The only thing I absolutely hate about my A4, is the cupholders. They are just awful.

Sweet and solid 2.8 5 speed
By LJT 992

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have read reviews about expenses. One person spent 3,000 on brakes, tires and rear wheel bearings, try finding a honest local repair shop. Max on that bill should be 750. Tires and brakes are consumables. I had two upper control arms put in at a total cost of 140, big whup! I have read reviews on Hondas and Toyotas and people complain about them. Make sure you know a local repair shop that works on these and the bills will only be slightly higher than the bland accord Camry domestic cars. This is a car that you smile in as you drive. If you are looking for a grocery car then buy something else b/c this is meant for a driving enthusiast not Gramma. Drink holders stink, who cares ur driving not eating.

Favorite Features

Comfortable heated seats, handling, engine. 5 speed trans that's crisp. Tight body, good sight lines. Bose supreme sound with smaller aftermarket sub, just right. Heated locks, windshield and headlight washers. Turn key window down features. Galvanized steel with White Pearl paint too many features to list.

Was a very nice car.
By Zach

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

Amazing in the Wisconsin Winters. I call it a tank for the reason that it has been hit 4 times, and the only visible damage to the car was a slight tear in the right rear fender the day it was knocked out of a parking stall and into the stall next to it. However, the repairs make this car not so much fun. I have done regular maintenance on it since I bought the car, and yet I always drive home with it wondering what is going to go wrong with it next. The high dollar fixes become a drain, especially in this economy. Have to get a new PCV valve, and the part costs forty dollars. Repairs total 350-400.

Favorite Features

Multi-disc CD, Tiptronic controls, sunroof, ability to withstand low - impact collisions. VERY smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Make it more reliable, Give it better fuel economy. I only get about 24-25 city, 28 hwy if I am lucky.

Love my car!
By Doris

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Most people don't believe it's a 98. Looks great drives great and would buy another one. The only thing I've done is replace the rack and pinion. Still happy!

Favorite Features

I love the way this car drives.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the cup holders!

Must have bought a lemon
By SM

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car used in 2007. It was a 1-owner vehicle with 65,000 miles. 2 weeks after I drove it off the dealership, it broke down. Thank goodness I decided to buy the extended warranty because it was $1500 to fix all that went wrong. In the year and a half I owned this car, it was nothing but problems. I would be anticipating it to break down every 2 months. Fuel line froze 4 times with Heet in the gas tank, tie rods needed replaced, ABS went out, radio needed a code that nobody could find. Would not buy an Audi unless I was making big bucks. Expect to pay a lot for maintenance.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, sunroof, acceleration, AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Make replacement parts cheaper and easier to come by. Improve reliability of this Audi...many weeks without a car due to problems.