1998 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Gentlemen, Open Your Wallets
By eyemd on 09/13/08 04:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle new and loaded with all options including the 2.8 V6 because I was seduced by timeless looks and the AWD feature. I took loving care of the car, returning to the dealer for all scheduled service intervals and driving the car gently. Once the warranty expired, I was rewarded with a series of "routine" repairs, many well in excess of $1000, including the infamous timing belt/water pump/main seal change at 65K miles, followed shortly by new tie rods/ball joints at 75K. I had intended to keep this car for at least 150K miles, but chose not to do so by enriching the dealer (and later, competent but equally costly independent shop). Will never purchase another Audi/VW.

Terrific reliable car, but costly
By gtv6 on 08/25/08 18:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

100,000 miles later, it has never let me down, but be prepared to pay. Suspension bits especially, and there are an infinite number of bits in the quattro suspension. The interior is unmatched and extremely durable, and Audi paint is excellent. There are few cars of the era that do so many things well, including 27mpg.

Great car
By Aidan Grace on 05/08/08 14:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I really like this car. When buying the car I thought I would be fun and safe ride and went for it despite its low ground clearance, I was worried about winter driving. I live in northern Vermont where winters are long, snowy and icy. It turned out to be the best winter car I have ever driven. When it got really bad out we would leave the all wheel drive truck with studded snow tires at home and use the Audi. I did put a set of good studded snow tires on it but what made it stick to the road was the great suspension and quattro system, by adjusting the throttle you could decide if you wanted to over steer or under steer

Lovin it so far
By Kiri on 04/30/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I just bought my A4 last October with very close to 100k miles on it, but I know the previous owner and know that it was well cared for. So far, I'm loving it! Except for the recent trip to my mechanic, where I found out that my tie rod had a slight problem, as well as my wheel bearings, so that was a bit to get fixed. When I bought it, the track for the moonroof was broken; it still can pop up, it just won't open completely, so I'm in no big hurry to fix it. Other than small things like that, I'm loving it!

My Audi
By Nehoda on 01/20/08 00:10 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love the quattro, it makes you stick to the road like no other. The five speed manual tranny shifts smooth. The clutches on these cars are weird, it'll have lots of life left but still grab late.

Love Hate Typical Euro
By DrivingEnthusiast on 01/13/08 13:03 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Loved the car. Quattro, V6, manual - everything I wanted in an automobile. Unfortunately, I owned a Honda and a Toyota before my A4. Audi is totally performance oriented and cares nothing about vehicle life after the 50k warranty. The following were replaced from 70k to 110k: tie rods, suspension components, electronic controls, wheel bearings, and ABS sensor. There was a lifter tick for the last 10k miles so I'm sure something else was about to fail. Timing belt change job cost $1400 at 90k. I kept great care of this car and it kept breaking. I don't care how great Quattro was I'll never go back to Audi/VW.

A great ride
By coloradoquattro on 12/30/07 08:35 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The Audi A4 has been the best car that I have ever owned. It is the perfect balance between performance and economy. I regularly get 30 mpg, but it certainly doesn't drive like an economy car. The turbo gives it power at high altitude that you just can't get with a normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine. Quattro all-wheel drive keeps it on the road in all weather conditions. It has provided 165,000 miles of trouble free driving with only routine maintenance. I haven't abused it, but I don't baby it either. Never a dull moment.

Don't Do It
By RJ on 08/24/07 05:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I loved driving this car. After a while, things started going wrong. Swing arms, tie rods, wheel bearings, speed sensors... this car cost me thousands over 4 years - just to keep it on the road!! Quattro is amazing and this car is extremely fun to drive. Beware, though, because it will cost you a fortune in the long run. I will never buy Audi (or European for that matter) again. Audi has destroyed my faith in "German engineering" - or lack thereof.

Don't do it
By pbfoot on 07/08/07 19:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my baby (silver A4 quattro) 4 years ago with 70k mi on her. Put 40k on her in those 4 years and have one thing to say: she was the best car in the world, but she was extremely unreliable and expensive to maintain. Tie rods, control arms, electrical modules, wheel bearings, engine seals, ABS module, air bag sensor. You name it, it broke, all of them broke, and she was in the shop for weeks at a time. It cost a fortune to get her out of the shop every time. I babied this car and got nothing in return. Sure, she handled on rails and had a great performance V6, but there is no way I'd ever consider giving Audi another shot. Too expensive and unreliable.

Wonderful, but be good with a wrench
By Woll on 02/04/07 06:20 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought mine used three years ago. I have had many cars but this one was great, terrific pick up, quattro snow traction, excellent ride over all surfaces. I say "was" because it was destroyed in rear-end accident last week. This is not a car you want brought to the dealer w/no warranty! Ever. You must plan on repairing items yourself or finding a local guy. If you can do that, the car is affordable, if not, don't buy it or buy a newer one. Mine has been somewhat reliable, but the engine is particularly trouble prone. I have personally done the following: replaced all camshaft seals (tricky), timing belt, front main seals, wheel bearings, oil pan.