1998 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
not bad, not great
By joezaza on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I also dreamed about an A4 for years before getting my 98 A4Q Tiptronic. The quattro is awesome in the snow. But the entire transmission was replaced at 22k mi (under warranty fortunately) and dealer could not explain why. Plus few other misc repairs. Now it's out of warranty, I think I'll get something more reliable. This is a great looking, fun car to drive with a lively engine. But it's not as reliable as my old Audi 90.

Nice Little Car
By Nacho on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased this car used from a guy in my neighborhood who took great care of the car (a 1.8T Quattro.) He only had 20K miles on it when I bought it from him. So far so good with the car. It has the chip and is fast, but doesn't have the best pickup from the line. I love the car. It is comfortable, looks great and the build quality is fantastic! I am still looking for an Audi club in the Phoenix area, so I can get some tips from other owners...

It's a keeper
By gerardrj on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

During the warrany period, my A4 had quite a few little things go wrong: wind shield wiper pump, seatbelt case broke, trip odometer panel went dim (2x), all were repaired/ replaced under warranty. The only things that have gone wrong since the warranty expired where a direct result of abuse (usually by the car wash attendants), or normal wear (the break pads needing to be replaced). After 4 years the car still sounds and runs like the day I drove it off the lot.

Audi A4 - A huge dissapointment
By Audi owner-Maryland on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

All I can really say is that this is the WORST car I've ever owned. I bought the vehicle with 38,000 miles and by 48,000 it needed new rear brake pads and rotors. But that was just the beginning. At 60,000 miles, the rear struts and bearing had gone. At 65,000 the front CV joints has deteriorated to the point of failure. Now, at 68,000 miles the car is in the shop due to excessive engine noise and the fact the engine check light has gone on. I'm afraid of what the shop is going to tell me. In fairness to the car, it performs fantastic and looks great. But the reliability problems that have plauged Audi in the past are well evident in the newer models as well.

Good Car, Bad Service
By Neveragain on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Good car and good company until my servicing dealership performed unauthorized work on my vehicle. Audi customer service claimed there was nothing they could do and I would have to take it up with the dealership. On top of that, they didn't even do the service correctly. They aligned my car and claimed it was perfectly straight with the steering wheel cocked to the left. They requested I take it to another shop and if they think the steering wheel isn't straight, then they will fix it. It took them three visit and three weeks without my car and my wheel is still off center. Believe it or not, the car was in better condition before I dropped it off at the dealership.

My A4: I think I'll keep it...
By j.boy deluxe on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I factory-ordered my A4 Avant with the works -- Pelican Blue metallic over beige leather with sunroof, sport suspension, Bose sound and (most important) the five-speed manual. Although I've put only 44,000 miles on it in four years, I still have to say that my A4's about as reliable as my old Acura Integra GS-R. Small problems arose at the very beginning (jammed CD changer and balky starter and cruise control switches) but since then its been smooth sailing. I foresee putting many more years and miles on this vehicle.

Good
By jonas on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The a4 is a great all around car and excellant in the snow but the 1.8T engine is lacking a little though you can easily get that bumped up to 200 or so by a chip. This car has very few flaws but i have had alot of trouble changing out the sound system. Try to find a bose equppied model to save you time. This is a car i would highly recommend

Bad Dealer makes ok car not worth it.
By steverino on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Car drives very nicely. After 35k, I have a rattle, and the exhaust system is a problem, but the car handles very well. Not quite as fast as I thought it would be, but pretty fast. The dealer, in Cherry Hill, NJ is terrible. Their services department is too small and unresponsive. They can't figure out problems, and they lie about delays in returning the car. My exhaust has never been right. My hood stinks after short drives. They all know it is an exhaust problem, but they can't fix it. As nice as I have been, they have failed to get it right on three visits.

1998 A4 1.8 T
By mpt2222 on 03/15/02 17:08 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of this vehicle for the price. Although a but under powered with the 1.8, many chip upgrades are available which will boost the torque to that of the 6 cyl. model. I can use the money saved to invest in modifications which will end up in a car that can compete in many respects with the BMW 3-series.

junk
By doctorrocket9 on 03/11/02 13:32 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

We bought a pretty pearl white 1.8T with sport package. Two weeks after the warranty expired, the dealer said we needed new brakes, tires, and rear ball bearings, total bill $3000. The car needed endless work during the warranty, but at least we didn't have to pay for it. This was our second and final Audi, both with extensive problems lasting and very high repair costs. Now we drive Hondas.