Used 1998 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

A Beautiful but Unfaithful Lover
By sleelio

1998 Audi A4 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

This is one of the nicest cars I've ever driven. The faster you go, the better it gets - all the little rattles go away and it hugs the road beautifully. However, this car has had too many problems - broken ignition (waited 6 months for the part), heater core failed, 2 CV boots busted, water pump failed, broken radiator fan, sunroof problems, remote key works only when it feels like it. We've taken good care of this care and done all the suggested maintenance, but it hasn't taken care of us.

Fun fun fun to drive, and can carry quite a bit with the back seats folded down. Beautiful styling.

More rear seat leg room, better cup holders, a remote key system that works, needs parts that are built to last (and actually do last).

MUST HAVE $$$ TO BLOW
By MIKEO71

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Can't possibly fit all of my experiences in this small review. Purchased used w/ 50k miles, audi assured, well maintained by Audi by the book. Secretly phoned dealer where car was originally serviced and found it had many issues not disclosed to me prior to purchase. Numerous issues, some major and other minor. Audi servi ce is bad (5 different dealers in 3 different states).

Great handling, good interior build quality, great looking newly waxed

UNRELIABLE PIECE OF GARBAGE, HORRIFIC DESIGN FLAWS IN BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT. ENJOY YOUR PURCHASE!!

Fun Car, but Nightmare Reliability
By CA-Jay

1998 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1.8T Q 5spd new in 1/98 and have religiously maintained it for the past 6 years. Car is in the shop so often that it's humorous. Turbo had to be replaced at 2k miles; all sorts of electrical problems; cracked brake reservoir; leaking oil from gasket; I could go on... I will never buy an Audi again. The quality is horrendous for a car marketed as an upscale, performance sedan. I'm in the market for a Honda or Acura. Take it from a reasonable, level-headed person--do not buy an Audi.

Handling, Crisp driving Fit and finish Styling

One word - Reliability.

Overengineered, but fun
By GreenMTNDoc

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I've put all 102,000 mi on my Audi since 7/1997. The first 4-5 years were great. The car is wonderful to drive, and I still love to drive it. However, it's cost me about $2k-3k/yr over the last 2.5yrs to keep it running. I've maintained it as meticulously as possible. My ind mech (got tired of the dealership) stocks the fr susp components because so many fail (about one set a week he says). In addtn, I've had to replace brakes, radiator, starter motor, rear wheel bearings (twice!), and the timing belt (I guess this last one is expected).

Driving feel, highway performance, winter traction

More dependability!!!

Don't buy it
By ganderson101

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Fun to drive, handles snow very well. Repairs frequent and very expensive. Have had to replace two headlights, head gasket, and timing belt at 74,000 miles. $4000 so far. Rub rails falling off the car, (defective brackets), transmission shifts rough. Audi's QA doesn't measure up to selling price. I will never buy Audi again

All wheel drive, body styling

Quality Assurance