Used 1998 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Don't buy it
By ganderson101

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Fun to drive, handles snow very well. Repairs frequent and very expensive. Have had to replace two headlights, head gasket, and timing belt at 74,000 miles. $4000 so far. Rub rails falling off the car, (defective brackets), transmission shifts rough. Audi's QA doesn't measure up to selling price. I will never buy Audi again

All wheel drive, body styling

Quality Assurance

My car is junk
By financeman1440

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought the car with 39k last October, since then I have replaced all front control arms, brakes all around, now it is the shop apparently needs a new rear differential and possible wheel bearings. The front of the car keeps falling off, when I park too close to a curb. Cup holders don't work, my 850 volvo gets better gas mileage. Love the looks, hate the car. Local dealer sucks.

Quattro, exterior looks, road comfort, drove 1000 miles in 14 hours.

Stand behind repairs, car should not have a front end that falls off. Front suspension and rear differential should not be failing in less than 53k miles.

Beware of Beautiful Cars
By Gaucho Guru

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I bought my A4 new and have maintained it meticulously from the day I bought it. I would not buy one again. It started falling apart after 4 years: alternator, battery, engine control module, tie rod ends (twice), upper and lower control arm links, drivers side airbag, sunroof control switch, rear shocks, engine mount. All of this cost about $5,000. Luckily, I bought an extended warranty that defrays some of the cost. If you plan to buy one of these cars and keep it after the warranty expires, be prepared to spend a lot on repairs. And those repairs will cost you at least twice as much as you would expect.

suspension and steering components reliability

Love with reservations
By hirospens

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is a great car - fun to drive, super traction and cornering, very good curb appeal. I love the styling - I just can't get into the newer A4's and A6's.

Very good acceleration (kicks in in 3rd gear), sunroof, stereo system, overall appearance and no radio antenna.

Sluggishness in 1st and 2nd gears, limited range on telescoping wheel, improve cramped back seat, flimsy cupholders.

Probably won't buy another one...
By cgray88

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

For about 2 years, it was by far the BEST used car I ever owned... Then I hit 60,000 miles... Since then the car was in the shop every other week. My brakes gave out, tie rods were shot, 4 tires had to be replaced, ignition coil replaced, headlights replaced twice, speaker blew, cd player stopped working, fuel pump went out, trunk stopped opening, alternator kicked it, and the AC compressor died. Finally, I decided to give up and sell it, and literally the day before, the timing belt broke. It has now been at the dealer for 2 months, as of yesterday. All told, approx. $8800 for repairs since 60,000 miles (and I never did get the AC fixed). Bah.

Smooth ride, comfy seats, sunroof, fantastic gas mileage, excellent handling in rain and snow, and you can take a highway offramp at 65mph without flinching.

Worst. Cupholders. Ever.