1998 Audi A4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Costly to drive
By spnj on 07/24/10 07:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it new 1998. Six V cylinder engine with a manual stick. Fun to drive and a lot of pep, but repairs way too much and suspension design and transmission not worthy of German engineering (mechanical engineer myself). 12 years and average maintenance/repair cost $1,000/year. First the lower suspension arms replaced, twice each side (Audi recall eventually), then new leaky radiator, wheel bearings on three wheels, timing belt and water pump at 90,000 miles, 142,000 miles new clutch ($1,300), control arm upper front, and exhaust pipe clamps (3 times) plus regular maintenance. I think this is my last Audi and I will turn it in

Nice but...
By JC on 01/07/08 04:20 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Nice car if you can afford the high dollar repairs. Ball joints have been a constant problem. Transmission went out completely at 80,000 miles even though the car has been very well cared for and driven lightly.

Audi Lover Cheated
By Audi Lover ????? on 07/22/05 17:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had nothing but expense after expense which is making it difficult to justify buying another Audi despite my love for the cars. In nearly 3 years I have replaced the water pump, rear bearings, mass air sensor, power steering rack (which came from Audi faulty and was warranty replaced by local mechanic) turn signal headlight stalk, tie rod ends, sway bar links, all control arms (upper A and F R lowers), the timing belt, valve cover gaskets, mirror directional button is bad, and the car eats tires like the chocolate doughnuts I used to eat in my overweight youth. I am questioning, in anguish, the merits of fine German enigineering.

Happy Audi Owner
By joe on 03/23/05 13:12 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my 1998 Audi A4 Avant from a dealer at with 45,000 miles on it coming of a 3 year lease. I have only replaced the front rotors and resurfaced rear with brake new pads. I have 75,000 miles on the car today. Maybe I'm lucky. This is my 4th Audi in 12 years and the only real problem I had were the denso A/C compressors on the 90 series.

$$$$ to own Beware of maintenance costs
By JC Milbo on 09/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the dealer's demo and got the 3- year warrenty. At 45 k, the problems started - front suspension - $ 766; tie rod end and water pump - $ 1245; 60 k - rear half shaft bearings - $1400; transmission valve body $ 3200 and now the ABS unit is shot and it's back to the shop for another $3000. That is $9611! Parts and service are very expensive! I am selling and cutting my losses. I'll be buying a Honda or Toyota or an American car from now on. What a piece of junk!

fun $$$$$ car
By jspring on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car with 40000 miles and have spent $7000 in 2 plus years replacing almost every moving part - shocks,wheel bearings,ABS control module and complete front end . Have not touched engine nor transmission and hope to sell car ASAP

Avant 2.8 - thumbs up!
By Wagonsrule on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

great car, versatile and reliable. had to replace all 10 suspension arms in front end which is a very well known problem on A4s. other than that it has been a great car.Quattro goes through any weather without blinking.

Great Little Car
By Audi Enthusiast on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought car Certified at 50k and have had no problems since. Now at 90k, car gets even better with age. Have Volvo V70R AWD and the Audi kicks butt all around.

A Beautiful but Unfaithful Lover
By sleelio on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

This is one of the nicest cars I've ever driven. The faster you go, the better it gets - all the little rattles go away and it hugs the road beautifully. However, this car has had too many problems - broken ignition (waited 6 months for the part), heater core failed, 2 CV boots busted, water pump failed, broken radiator fan, sunroof problems, remote key works only when it feels like it. We've taken good care of this care and done all the suggested maintenance, but it hasn't taken care of us.

This one's good!
By happy for 8 years on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Bought new; 69,000 miles in 5 years. Very few problems, radio replaced, new dash cover, all under warranty. Average 24 mpg in mixed use driving. Ride quality has deteriorated in last 10k miles, rear dampers need replacing. Great highway car; relaxed, quiet, very comfortable. V6 power adequate. Dealer experience very favorable (Commonwealth VW/Audi). This is my second A4, and they both have been excellent. None of the repair nightmares so sommon on this list. My cars are very well maintained, and driven sensibly. Bose stereo, driver's seat, and overall interior ambience have kept me enjoying these cars for this long (8 years and 120,000 miles between the two).