Used 1998 Audi A4 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Costly to drive
By spnj

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it new 1998. Six V cylinder engine with a manual stick. Fun to drive and a lot of pep, but repairs way too much and suspension design and transmission not worthy of German engineering (mechanical engineer myself). 12 years and average maintenance/repair cost $1,000/year. First the lower suspension arms replaced, twice each side (Audi recall eventually), then new leaky radiator, wheel bearings on three wheels, timing belt and water pump at 90,000 miles, 142,000 miles new clutch ($1,300), control arm upper front, and exhaust pipe clamps (3 times) plus regular maintenance. I think this is my last Audi and I will turn it in

Really fun and quick to drive

Oil filter access without dismounting stupid plastic cover under car with a lot of attachment screws, which will not be put back. The plastic cover will then rattle. Cup holder design ridiculous. Suspension arm design to complicated and too many breakable parts

Nice but...
By JC

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Nice car if you can afford the high dollar repairs. Ball joints have been a constant problem. Transmission went out completely at 80,000 miles even though the car has been very well cared for and driven lightly.

Its look.

10 year warranty. Better transmission and ball joints.

Audi Lover Cheated
By Audi Lover ?????

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had nothing but expense after expense which is making it difficult to justify buying another Audi despite my love for the cars. In nearly 3 years I have replaced the water pump, rear bearings, mass air sensor, power steering rack (which came from Audi faulty and was warranty replaced by local mechanic) turn signal headlight stalk, tie rod ends, sway bar links, all control arms (upper A and F R lowers), the timing belt, valve cover gaskets, mirror directional button is bad, and the car eats tires like the chocolate doughnuts I used to eat in my overweight youth. I am questioning, in anguish, the merits of fine German enigineering.

The paint job, Bose system, red interior lights, design.

Just read above!

Happy Audi Owner
By joe

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my 1998 Audi A4 Avant from a dealer at with 45,000 miles on it coming of a 3 year lease. I have only replaced the front rotors and resurfaced rear with brake new pads. I have 75,000 miles on the car today. Maybe I'm lucky. This is my 4th Audi in 12 years and the only real problem I had were the denso A/C compressors on the 90 series.

I have the only one in town. It turns heads and gets excellent gas milage.

Better front leg room

$$$$ to own Beware of maintenance costs
By JC Milbo

Bought the dealer's demo and got the 3-
year warrenty. At 45 k, the problems
started - front suspension - $ 766; tie
rod end and water pump - $ 1245; 60 k -
rear half shaft bearings - $1400;
transmission valve body $ 3200 and now
the ABS unit is shot and it's back to
the shop for another $3000. That is
$9611! Parts and service are very
expensive! I am selling and cutting my
losses. I'll be buying a Honda or
Toyota or an American car from now on.
What a piece of junk!

I guess the perception of security with Quatro in rain and snow

Build a reliable auto. The US and Japanese quality is MUCH better and less costly to own.