1998 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
2.8l Quattro
By theburchyfeel on 08/04/13 16:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love my a4. I bought it used over a year ago, and haven't had too spend TOO much money fixing it up. Of course, some things have gone wrong, but thanks to a large internet owner's community, you can easily fix many problems yourself if you are willing to learn some DIY. I have never once regretted buying it.

My 5th German car and best yet!
By mrmatt on 05/10/13 12:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with 113k on the clock and it is in great condition. It has 125k on it now and I intend to drive it till 400k if it'll let me. The v6 engine is awesome but know you are not getting any modification potential other than exhaust. Performance chips are worthless for this engine. It corners great for a bigger car and the torque this engine provides makes it great for around town driving. This is my first lux AWD sedan and with the 5spd it is easily my favorite car owned so far. Very sleek exterior and interior. The build quality is top notch and the 2.8 has been extremely reliable as long as you keep up with maintenance. I couldn't have bought a better car.

Tons of fun!
By inmyblood on 01/21/11 23:27 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my A4 2.8Q brand new. Over 13 years later I couldn't be much happier. It drives like new with over 120k miles on it. It is great fun to drive and I love carving through the mountain snow here in Utah with only all-season tires. I had some front suspension issues until my local mechanic solved what my dealer could not. I have had my brakes done once with that same mechanic for about $600 for all four. I have replaced all four lower door trim pieces and both heated side view mirrors but no sensor or engine issues. It runs smooth and hard and I love it! My kids don't like the back seat but that is what the Odyssey is for. I wish I could afford a new one. An all around great car!

Great Buy
By A patel on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought it with 129,000 miles on it. After buying it, spent few grand on regular maintenance (timing belt, fluid flushes, water pump) none of those thing were needed, but I was looking to keep it for long time. Currently has 140,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable for me ever since I bought it. Only thing I had to fix after I bought it, was wheel bearing and valve cover gasket set. I have many after market parts on it such as (performance chip, borla exhaust, itg air filter, etc) the gas mileage has been decent. 18-20 city and 26-31+ highway. Which I think its great for an all wheel drive car. I will drive it till wheels fall off.

Love my AUDI A4 1.8 AWD
By lalo on 07/12/10 22:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I love my car. I have owned it for over a year and it still runs like a champ. Thankfully the people I bought it from took very good care of the car, and I have continued the same maintenance. It has great gas mileage, and is a beautiful car. It doesn't have the power when you first hit the gas pedal but once your moving it goes.

Great quality, reliable, fun to drive.
By Denis Abramov on 12/15/09 11:50 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have driven my pearl white Audi for about 3 months now. Before this Audi, I was driving a 2002 Volvo S60 (great car also). I have all factory packages that were available for this car. My car has a 30v V6 which sounds lovely before 4k rpms, after that, it builds up this roar, all the way to redline of 6800. The sport package is outstanding (if you prefer comfort, you wouldn't like it). The sport seats are somewhat hard but support you when entering a corner at 40+mph. Suspension is a bit harsh too but the car handles like it is on rails. Cruising at 80mph is a breeze and my friends can't even tell we're going 80. Take care of it, it will last forever!

Sweet and solid 2.8 5 speed
By LJT 992 on 09/11/09 18:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have read reviews about expenses. One person spent 3,000 on brakes, tires and rear wheel bearings, try finding a honest local repair shop. Max on that bill should be 750. Tires and brakes are consumables. I had two upper control arms put in at a total cost of 140, big whup! I have read reviews on Hondas and Toyotas and people complain about them. Make sure you know a local repair shop that works on these and the bills will only be slightly higher than the bland accord Camry domestic cars. This is a car that you smile in as you drive. If you are looking for a grocery car then buy something else b/c this is meant for a driving enthusiast not Gramma. Drink holders stink, who cares ur driving not eating.

Was a very nice car.
By Zach on 06/23/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

Amazing in the Wisconsin Winters. I call it a tank for the reason that it has been hit 4 times, and the only visible damage to the car was a slight tear in the right rear fender the day it was knocked out of a parking stall and into the stall next to it. However, the repairs make this car not so much fun. I have done regular maintenance on it since I bought the car, and yet I always drive home with it wondering what is going to go wrong with it next. The high dollar fixes become a drain, especially in this economy. Have to get a new PCV valve, and the part costs forty dollars. Repairs total 350-400.

Love my car!
By Doris on 01/31/09 18:36 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Most people don't believe it's a 98. Looks great drives great and would buy another one. The only thing I've done is replace the rack and pinion. Still happy!

Must have bought a lemon
By SM on 01/28/09 15:36 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car used in 2007. It was a 1-owner vehicle with 65,000 miles. 2 weeks after I drove it off the dealership, it broke down. Thank goodness I decided to buy the extended warranty because it was $1500 to fix all that went wrong. In the year and a half I owned this car, it was nothing but problems. I would be anticipating it to break down every 2 months. Fuel line froze 4 times with Heet in the gas tank, tie rods needed replaced, ABS went out, radio needed a code that nobody could find. Would not buy an Audi unless I was making big bucks. Expect to pay a lot for maintenance.