1998 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Gentlemen, Open Your Wallets
By eyemd on 09/13/08 04:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle new and loaded with all options including the 2.8 V6 because I was seduced by timeless looks and the AWD feature. I took loving care of the car, returning to the dealer for all scheduled service intervals and driving the car gently. Once the warranty expired, I was rewarded with a series of "routine" repairs, many well in excess of $1000, including the infamous timing belt/water pump/main seal change at 65K miles, followed shortly by new tie rods/ball joints at 75K. I had intended to keep this car for at least 150K miles, but chose not to do so by enriching the dealer (and later, competent but equally costly independent shop). Will never purchase another Audi/VW.

Some Good Things, Some Bad Things
By Robert on 08/06/05 12:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

It is expensive to fix, unless you are a DIY or can find a good mechanic who knows these cars. Do not bring back to the dealer, esp. if it's used. Some issues with control arm and tie rods, but I put lots of miles on it. The digital readouts sometimes do not work well, esp. if there is significant climate change (I live in New England where it can change by 30 degrees in a day.) A/C is crisp and good, Engine is sound, body is excellent and resists salt erosion and wear, mechanically there are some issues esp over pothole roads. It is fast and nimble car, no back seat leg room.

Buyer beware
By Grover on 02/11/05 17:20 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Terrific car for foul weather, when it's not in the shop. Fun to drive, if you can afford premium fuel and poor mileage (19 mpg average). Beautiful car, however, it will break the bank when it breaks down!

My 1998 A4Q
By marstein on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I own this car for 5 years now. It has the sports package, Bose Audio and 6 CD changer. INterior is leather. The leather held up very well, the only scratches are from my daughter throwing a tantrum in the rear seat with her sandals, using the buckles. The only thing that bothers me is a light rattle when cold over my shoulder. Poblems fixed by a repair: some control arm broke down after 5 years and the transmission was leaking. Otherwise I've been lucky. The car rides comfortably, the engine (30V) is very silky smooth but powerful. It does use some oil (1/2 l every month or so). The quattro AWD was useful for skiing vacation. I never slipped anywhere.

Great Car Nothing to change
By A4 Drive on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Just have to say that this car was the best purchase that I made. It has and does every thing it is ment to do.

Solid as a Rock
By Audi in Seattle on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased my A4 used with the Audi Assured warranty -- a good bet. After 3 months a cracked tie rod boot only cost me the $50 warranty deductible instead of $400. People mistake the car for brand new even though it has over 50,000 miles on it.

I LOVE MY A4
By Rachel on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I would have to say that these A4s have a lot of power. Mine is very quick and compfortable.The tiptronic is very fun. The brakes aren't quite as good as BMW but they are alright. OVERALL i would give my A4 a rating of 9. I will keep this car for many wounderful years.