1997 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Augusta A4
By EMDII on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

- More fpg than any sports sedan available - precie and predictable handling, even when going deep - the auto-tranny is surprisingly good, even downshifts well - RED!

Not a Toyota :)
By digger on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This was my first Audi, 5 years and I still love it. The only things negative were the remote fobs are junk and the cost for anything is way too high, a new key was $60 and the transducers don't even do anything in 97.

Tried German Once - Once
By Audibust on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Puchased a Certified Used Audi A4 - 1.8 turbo to experience some German Engineering. Unfortunately, Engineering was the problem, as the vehicle lost both a timing belt prematurely causing $4K in damage, and then the transmission gave out as well for another $5K. The car had less than 80K miles at the time of both, and the car was well maintained with one owner. After contacting Audi, none of the items were covered under the warranty, because they were considered "wear items", so the charges were all out of pocket expenses. Never again.

80K mile car!? You're crazy.....
By Luiz Salles on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

.....you need to take better care of your car. I bought my 1.8T with 70K miles almost 2 years ago, it now has 101K miles. I am happy to say that I have not had a single problem with it. I've changed the battery and done the 100K tune up. That's it. My next car will be an Audi. A new one.

A4 IS ONLY GOOD FOR 80,000 MILES
By JOJO on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I'll never buy one again!! 0 - 80000 miles the A4 ran perfectly. On its 80000m birthday huge problems. Major oil leak hear, broken gasket there, usual timing belt replacement, cracked heating pipe under there, electric switch on transm failure, etc., etc., etc. In a 3 month period, I averaged close to $3k in car repairs and it has never run the same. Don't plan on keeping the A4 for longer than 5 years, unless you want it in the shop for 4 weeks each year while the dealer complains it cannot get parts from Germany or back East. Goodbye Audi, hello Infinity, Lexis, Honda.

Fun to drive, easy to own
By someguynameddave on 03/18/02 02:37 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I've owned this car for nearly 2 years, and it has been a dream. The interior is plush and relaxing, but no adult human can fit in the back seats. Ample trunk space. The Bose sound system isn't too bad.

Excellent Car
By mj on 03/05/02 12:20 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been an excellent car for us. My wife loves to drive it and feels very, very safe in it. Very fun to drive in the snow too! We have had no major problems with it and have put 140,000 miles on it. The igntion switch went bad, but that was covered by Audi. We originally used Oasis as our Repair shop in Redding, CA, but now use University Audi in Seattle, WA. Both shops know the and fix the cars well.

GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!
By Brennan on 03/05/02 09:16 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Do not plan to own this car without a warranty! In the four years I've had it, I've had to replace: radio x3, ignition switch X2, starter X2, water pump, clutch master cylinder and numerous pieces of interior trim that can't seem to hold onto their paint. I can't buy another Audi, though I love the look and feel of this car. Save yourself before it's too late.

Cupholders Please
By jaylay on 03/04/02 00:49 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this vehicle on the Audi Assured program. A very reliable and a great car. It is fun to drive...but have a few complaints. 1st, oil changes at the dealership are expensive ($65 to $100) and required to maintain the warranty. 2nd, the cupholders are AWEFUL! Note to Audi...Americans like to drink beverages when they drive. The 2 excuses for cupholders on this car will hold a can of soda, and thats it...Other than that, great car that runs smooth and never fails me in the snow.

Audi is a pain and Don Rosen is not good
By Dissatisfied on 02/19/02 22:50 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

After owning the A4 for only 3 1/2 years, the transmission had to be replaced. This repair could have been made earlier and saved the transmission, but because of a misdiagnosis by Don Rosen it resulted in the total destruction of the transmission. In addition, had the reported problems been diagnosed properly when I reported them it would have been covered under warranty. Luckily, I was able to talk Don Rosen into covering half the cost, but it still cost me $2500.