1997 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Beware of Timing Belt Nightmare!!!
By badaudi on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I was so excited to purchase my Audi. Now, I can't wait to sell it ASAP. I have had very expensive repairs, extensive headaches, and extraordinary POOR customer service. I specifically asked if timing belt should be changed at 60,000 miles. I was told "NO, manual states 90,000." I was driving 70mph and my timing belt completely blew at 61,000 miles and I almost lost my life when the car stopped suddenly. Audi refuses to assist in any way (or show concern), even though the part was found to be, essentially, defective. Very expensive repair. Buyer Beware! I have been contacted about a pending class action lawsuit for this.

Great Car
By AudiMan on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

This was my third Audi and I loved it. Good power, great brakes, and a sweet ride.

Fun and sporty, but small
By jffordem on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Before I bought my Acura TL this was my favorite daily driver. I really enjoyed owning my A4 1.8TQM and regretted that I never 'chipped' it. I sold it 3 years later to afford my dream home. I found this car a lot of fun to drive, and raced it in Solo 2 (Autocross) for two seasons. I also liked the surefooted behavior on snow when I took it skiing. However, I was disappointed with the service, and encourage owners to keep an eye on fluid and air pressure levels in order to avoid unfortunate, avoidable run-ins with the dealer.

Why did I purchase this car?
By Super A on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the most absolutely, dispisable vehicle I have owned in all my life! I have had to replace the heater core $1,400 job, tape player, the muffler,throttle body $600, ignition switch, power switch, brakes & rotors, $1,000, turbo $1,000, oil pump, something with the suspension & steering, and six lights. All of this, in the 2 1/2 years I've had the car.

This car is a major disappointment
By Previous owner on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Always trusted German engineering and reliability, but this car is a complete disappointment. Regular maintenance and repairs would cost you an arm and a leg. Audi dealerships are not the best to deal with. My car's engine CRACKED at 80K (no hard driving) and the dealership had no idea that it cracked but suggested a whole list of other repairs. Paid them for the useless repairs and at the end they simply told me that a new engine is what I needed.

'97 A4
By TMW on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

It's been a good daily use car. The car feels solid, however at 60k+ it's getting a couple minor rattles. The dealer's costs for repairs are excessive, this is the only reason I may not buy another one. When the car is cold it's slugish, but it warms up quickly. I would probably spend the extra money for the V6 next time. However the 1.8T is a great 4 cyl.

Good buy
By KenM on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

Bought my A4 two years ago, and bought an extended warrenty. I had the turbo replaced under warrenty- I was happy to have it. The AWD is great for Michigan winters, and the rust protection seems to be very good. I plan on keeping this car for a while.

Great Value
By jlITE5784 on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

This car has been great to own. I have experienced none of the mechanical failures reported by other edmunds.com owners. It drives great and looks beautiful. After a car wash, people think its brand new. It was a great buy considering the cost of a 3-series of the same year.

worst car i have ever owned
By guit on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

costly mainteance nightmare. thus was the worst car i have ever owned

Think Twice Before You Buy
By Bridget1777 on 09/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

My car has 80k miles. It is important for the buyer to know what they are getting into. It will require repairs, but prepare to go to an Audi dealer only and pay $125 p/ hour, or more. Ex: Power locks went out shortly after I purchased the car, ($650!) Now needs a new water pump, (a $30 part,) but to have the dealer put it on would cost $550! It's ridiculous. Only an Audi dealer can change the oil light every 3k miles, so prepare to pay for that. (The servicing light is the same way!) It's a very nice car to drive, but think twice before you buy. Make sure you have the money to burn. I don't.