Used 1997 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Great car overall
By Audi lover

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my 1st Audi and definately not the last. Its awesome on the interstate as well as on short in-town trips. In the snow, I think it handles better than the AMTRAK. Seriously, on snow/ice/wet pavement, the car grips like nothing else, even on regular summer tires. Kind of costly when repairs are needed but its expected on all higher end brands, MB is not cheaper. Just remember this is not a Pontiac or Ford where anyone can work on it. V6 engine could use a little more horses but its just enough and very quiet. I travel a lot and I am always on a rental car. I cannot wait til I get back to my Audi, everytime. It never fails.

Looks, looks, looks. Driving-solid feel, fun to drive, Quattro AWD System. Craftmanship and quality. Everything looks and feels expensive in this car. Cust Service at the local dealer. As soon as the wife's car lease ends, we're going to the local Audi dealer!

Small legroom for backseat (I never ride back there anyhow). Keyless entry is junk, never-ever works and really can't be fixed. Also, the cupholders are junk, buy the ones from the Passat and install it on the passenger side.

Like but trouble
By ed

1997 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car to drive. Can not beat it in snow with 4 snow tires. Many problems with repairs. Front end parts, electronics, leaks, trans. Will not get another German car they are very nice but too many expensive repairs.

fun little machine
By Pickle

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my A4 at 3 years old, and have run it up to 116,000 miles. It has been incredibly dependable; but repairs aren't cheap. The car always gives me plenty of (usually audible) signs that something needs attention. I have had to replace the CD player and all the ball joints...other than that, it has been great.

Quattro, Heated Seats, Sassy styling, dependability, relatively small exterior size, well-balanced suspention, comfortable for long trips, did I mention the heated seats?

More rear leg room, cheaper repairs

Must be Wealthy
By Ammad

1997 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

Bought my Audi A4 1.8T in 2000. The car was great, and it is so much fun to drive. It is a pleasure to drive in the snow. However, some how after 50,000 miles or so. I started hearing some rattling. The dealerhips have no customer service, and they are really rude. They charge you thousands of dollars for parts and labor charges that sometimes are more expensive than the super expensive parts. Then you get electrical problems that cost $1,500 each to fix. Be prepared to spend a lot of money in maintaining this car. And even then sometimes I think was it worth it? Right now going between a G35 or a new A4.

Heated Seats, Quatro, the Ski Sack which for me I put fishing rods in.

Better customer service, lower prices for parts, lower labor charges for repairs. Better reliability, this is a luxury car which consumers spend a ton of money for. The car's quality should reflect this, rather than needing $2,000 in repairs ever year. Build something that you can be proud of.

My Third Quattro - Highly Recommended
By MarkHG

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my 3rd Audi Quattro (4000Q and 90Q) that I have had for more than 100,000 miles. I have been very happy with every aspect of the car. After 100,000 miles it runs and looks great. The performance and gas mileage have only IMPROVED as the mileage piled up. The Quattro system (and heated leather seats) easily conquers anything a New England winter can throw at me (and I live in the mountains).

Quattro, Heated Seats, Style, Performance