Used 1997 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Very Reliable
By cshaner

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car when it had 125k miles on it and have put 30k on it in two years. The only thing that has needed replacement is the tires. I live in Idaho so I see more snow than most cars do and it handles amazing in any weather.

Engine and Quattro, amazing on Sunday drives and trips up to the ski hill.

Yes the cup holders but this car is made in Germany where nothing is supposed to compromise the driving experience. Unlike in America where if it can't fit a big gulp it's too small.

Summary
By Turk

1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Here is my two cents after putting 50K on my A4 which I purchased at 120K. Very reliable engine, manual transmission (same OEM clutch at 170K), no major electrical problems. What has failed, cruise control, driver side heated seat, thermostat. I believe overall it is a very reliable car, sensors that I have replaced along the way are just the same on all cars these days, all made by BOSCH and it doesn't make a difference which brand you drive. In terms of interior/exterior design, ergonomics and build quality Audi is never any less than other Germans and maybe much better in some of these areas if not all. The up side is because of its reputation here in USA, you can get them much cheaper!!

Design, reliability, affordability (second hand)

Electrical components, nobody can fix those, be sure to properly test all components before you buy. Turbo versions require more frequent repairs/maintenances and turbo itself fails around 70-90K. Go with the non turbo!

I love my 1997 Audi A4
By Joy

1997 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Audi in 1996 and drove it every day until I retired in 2002. It's great. It's been 100% reliable. It's a 5 speed stick shift red sedan. I use to put lots of miles on it commuting to work and visiting family 4 hours away. Now my life style has changed and my car is still thrilling to drive. It sits for days when I don't drive it and it still drives like a charm when I use it. I'd buy this car again and again and again.

There are two things I love about this car. It's looks and it's reliability. Oh and did I mention it's fun to drive.

none

Brilliant
By AudiFan

1997 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after its 11th birthday, It had a very hard life before I bought it. But a bit of TLC took care of that. Even though I spent a lot of money on her, What she ended up costing me in total was still a bargain. I would rather have looked at a newer model if I could afford one, But the fact is it has served me well and will continue to do so.

Styling, handling, performance, braking all in all a great car.

None to report on as yet

Good Car, Average Reliability
By Timlars

1997 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car worked well, but we had a number of small issues with it. The drivers side window repeatedly slipped off the track, the transmission has been not shifting as crisp as it should. Its a good car if you get on that has been taken care of. Handles well, but there is a lack of power. AWD system works great in MN winters. Would buy this car again, but make sure the timing belt has been changed!!! If it isn't, you can bend a valve and it will be $3000 later before it will be back on the road.

AWD, car feels light and somewhat agile, great suspension over rough roads.

More rear legroom, more power