Used 1997 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Sure isn't a Honda or Toyota!!
By cpr8

1997 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my A4 used about a year ago, and I have fallen in love! There is no other used car out there that can match the fun to drive, reliability, build quality, or fuel economy for that matter. I can manage around 20-24 around town, and at most 28 on the highway, that's pretty good, considering its a 15 year old car with 215,000 miles on it, with a V6, and Quattro. Like I said, it has 215,000, and it still runs like a dream. The only problem I have had with it is an EGR code always popping up, I went thru the whole EGR system, and couldn't find anything. Turns out it was the filler hose on the gas tank, sense it also leaked when I filled it up.

Definitely the hallmarks of Audi, their absolutely fantastically well laid out interiors, and the build quality of them, amazing. Like I said, 215,000 miles, 15 years old, and not a single rattle or squeak. The other, has to be Quattro. I know I don't take full advantage of it, but I love to go around a corner at 50 mph, and not have to worry about a thing, because I know the Quattro will keep my right on track. I also LOVE the 5-Speed. This car WOULD NOT be the same with the automatic. After owning this car, I promised myself that I would never own an automatic, EVER. There is also a surprising amount of space in the trunk too, as in, it's almost as big as my grandparent's Town Car's trunk.

If there is one thing I don't like, its the stupid center console. The top is held on by two little hinges that stick into the side of the console, and it's constantly breaking. In fact it's a good thing they redesigned the whole center console in the newer cars, because the whole thing was just way too flimsy. My brother had a 2003 Jetta, and it was the same center console. It "recommends" Premium, but I just blew it off, why would I use Premium when I don't have to? Well, out of the blue one day, I decided to use Premium, I saw a large jump in both performance, and fuel economy. Plus, the A/C KILLS the fuel economy. I only turn it on once a month now, just to keep it working.

A4 ......my few words........eulogy
By a4fan1

1997 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I would say I gave my everything to this car, The car absolutely is a blast to drive , excellent winter vehicle and is a head turner. As a loyal audi fanatic , I have poured a great deal of money into the car, but, at 120,000 miles everything just started to go one week after another, I dont think I went 1000 miles between repairs. When no maintinence is needed, its a top notch, safe car, but overall I would say if reliability was a centerpoint for you, not a good bet for a used vehicle.I finally gave in and sold mine after years of ownership. That said I still would buy another one .....want my reason?.........Test drive one :)

manual shift.....all wheel drive.....design, superb handling.......comfort...

improve long term durabilty........

Expensive repairs
By spotmaker

1997 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Paid about $6200. for the A4 2.8 quattro 6 cylinder. Engine seized about a year later, cost $5,500 to replace with a used 50,000 mile engine. A/C just packed it in, at the tune of $2,200 to fix. Drivers door window falls into door. LED's on stereo are mostly burned out. Very annoying buzz from rear wheels.

Style and materials are nice, handling and power.

Easier to service and fix.

Should have sold it.
By M

1997 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 4dr Sedan

This review is cathartic because who cares about this car anymore. Up until 45-50K it was okay as far as maintenance and repairs are concerned. After that look out. It's like a bad marriage you hope and deceive yourself into believing it will get better..and it doesn't. I could have bought another car with the amount of money spent on repairs. It's not just the cost but the repeated occurrences. The dealerships are horrible and AUDI USA is even worse. I will never again own an Audi unless its given to me, because then the cost of repairs will be like I purchased it. It shouldn't cost me the price of 2 cars to own one.

Everything Mechanically and Electrical

I'll never buy an Audi again. Stay away.
By Charlie

1997 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car mainly because of the look. I still love the look. It's too bad the rest of the car doesn't hold up. These cars are finicky. If you don't use synthetic oil you are asking for trouble. My car is dead after 150k miles due to oil sludge - which is sad for a car built in the 90s. I gave it regular 3k oil changes, but I used normal oil. That's only part of the problem. This car was in the garage every 6 months for this, that and the other. Expensive suspension failures, Cat converters going out, water pump, cracked fluid reservoirs, valve gasket leak, etc., etc., etc. Come on Audi - have some pride.

The look and the tight handling. The car would drive straight as an arrow without my hand on the wheel. The interior was also nice.

The car was a gas guzzler, and slow. Audi should pick one of the two: either improve reliability or pick cheaper components.