1996 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Fun & Style
By Ryan on 02/13/05 22:21 PM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Lead: Never Follow. Thats truly what Audi is all about. My lil' yellow rocket has so much in such a compact car. The 172HP V6 has plenty of get-up and go and has excellent handling and still a very smooth ride. Of course there is the fear of german cars, but I myself have not had many problems with mine. Other than basic maintenance, I've never had a problem. With 124,000 miles, this engine has plenty left too. And with the 1996 worth a measly $5-$6k, you can get style, comfort, and performance at a great price. And with Quattro, you can't co wrong. It adds versatility to the list as well. Overall, I would highly recommend this car to anyone, young or old.

Fun to Drive but maintainance high
By lawoody on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

My car is the FWD 2.8 with 5 spd. auto. The car is very smooth to drive and steers nicely. Strong brakes but the engine isn't the strongest. Great for long drives. Maintanance is costly compared to a honda/toyota/nissan but not out of line. Engine consumes zero oil at 65K. MPG is 23 mix or 27 highway. Some electrical glitches but nothing major.

The Sweet & Sour Audi
By Jack Gross on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Alas, my experience with the '96 A4 has also been of the approach-avoidance type. Agree, beautiful to look at and to drive; ergonomics are great. Also agree that the 2.8/175HP engine was not big enough for a compact this hefty. Having steered at least a half dozen other buyers to Audis, I was taken aback to be told that a recent whining noise was emanating from the 5-speed manual transmission and that it needed replacing. This is with only 55,000 miles. And this is after replacing the front suspension twice. My heart says get another one, but my brain just won't let me.

Great ride, poor reliability
By Call_me_Eric on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. It drives well, gets decent mileage and still looks great. The AWD is awesome. Interior design is very well laid out. If it had Honda/Toyota reliability, I'd keep it until the wheels fall off. I have replaced the dash (dealer recall), replaced both catalytic converters ($900 each), replaced the left rear wheel bearing twice, replaced the A/C evaporator, replaced the water pump and the radio twice. The local dealer (I bought elsewhere) is poor. They seem to lack knowledge and caring.

Only Oil and Gas - Great car
By RichGilb on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been a great car. It is fun to drive, it's been VERY reliable (only oil and gas), and it has a great stereo. Definately get the 2.8 quattro. It hugs the road and does well in snow. I was worried about Audi because of the 5000 issues in the '80s. But this car has won me over!

A4 rules
By Gene on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

My A4 has been very good to me. I bought it used, in 2002. It had one problem, a coolant leak in a place that's tough to get to. I had it fixed and haven'thad any other problems since. Knock on wood.

not again
By not again on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased the car with 50,000 miles and drove it for another 125,000 miles. I can not say enough about the handling and performance, but that is my heart talking. This car has been back to the dealer for this, that, and the other thing 5 times each. The only thing left original at 175,000 miles is the clutch and body. Even both catalytic converters were replaced twice. Service is a headache. I bet if I added up the service repair costs, they will be more that the car cost new. If you have the cash to throw at the car, by all means you will love the ride.

RECOMMENDED
By 96A45SPEED on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased a 96 A4 Quattro with a 5- Speed Trans. I LOVE this car. It is fast enough, yet has the ride you'd expect from a $30000 car. It handles great, accelerates well, and also turns heads. The thing to Remember with Audis is this: TAKE CARE OF THEM, AND THEYLL TAKE CARE OF YOU. If you want a car that you dont have to think about, buy a Honda. But, if you like to do maintanence, or just remember to keep up with maintenence, you'll have no problems. The Audi's one car that once you drive, you may never buy another Kind of car again.

Best Used Car Ever!!!
By CamClark on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car used just over a year ago. I have drove the heck out of it already putting more than 24,000 miles on it. No major problems, just a few leaks or normal maintainence. Unfortunately the dealership costs a fortune to fix anything. Average job costs about $500.

Generally a great car
By Blues listener on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Love the car. I'm the third owner. I have had to replace the air conditioner, and recently, the transmission. That means I will be keeping it for at least a couple more years to recover those costs. It is in excellent shape and drives like a dream, so I have no problems with that. Warning: all problems should be addressed early when they show up.