1996 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Love my Audi
By jteen55 on 03/30/08 22:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I bought my A4 at 201,000 and it runs like a dream. After a few simple maintenance repairs (oil change and new battery) it quickly became the car of my dreams. Every now and then it likes to act up, but I chalk that up to its quirky personality. I wouldn't trade my 96 A4 for my friends 95 A6 if you paid me. For me my car is absolutely perfect and amazing. I cannot sing higher praises to my car. I love it.

Fun & Style
By Ryan on 02/13/05 22:21 PM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Lead: Never Follow. Thats truly what Audi is all about. My lil' yellow rocket has so much in such a compact car. The 172HP V6 has plenty of get-up and go and has excellent handling and still a very smooth ride. Of course there is the fear of german cars, but I myself have not had many problems with mine. Other than basic maintenance, I've never had a problem. With 124,000 miles, this engine has plenty left too. And with the 1996 worth a measly $5-$6k, you can get style, comfort, and performance at a great price. And with Quattro, you can't co wrong. It adds versatility to the list as well. Overall, I would highly recommend this car to anyone, young or old.

Fun to Drive but maintainance high
By lawoody on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

My car is the FWD 2.8 with 5 spd. auto. The car is very smooth to drive and steers nicely. Strong brakes but the engine isn't the strongest. Great for long drives. Maintanance is costly compared to a honda/toyota/nissan but not out of line. Engine consumes zero oil at 65K. MPG is 23 mix or 27 highway. Some electrical glitches but nothing major.

Generally a great car
By Blues listener on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Love the car. I'm the third owner. I have had to replace the air conditioner, and recently, the transmission. That means I will be keeping it for at least a couple more years to recover those costs. It is in excellent shape and drives like a dream, so I have no problems with that. Warning: all problems should be addressed early when they show up.

Think Carefully
By SMPM on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I love my A4 but the reviews are true. My model year rec'd high marks for everything Xcpt suspension; these cars crush themselves under their own wght & wear down the assoc parts more quickly. It's a heavy car and it makes a difference in an accident; I was broadsided at 35mph; I lost my rear passenger door and some trim but wasn't hurt. Interior ergonomics second to none; 5-speed auto is silk. Get 30mpg on the highway with the 2.8L. It's prudent to get the timing belt changed much earlier than the rcmmndd mfgr mlge date. These are things that have to be done on any auto anyway.

Sweet ride
By CanaDN on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I bought this car to move to Colorado and she is great! Even without Quattro she works great in the snow. Faster then the quattro's i tried to. Lighter and more power at the wheels. Very Classy. The engineering is outstanding. The little things like auto down for all four windows. Easy open hood latch. All windows close with the turn of the key.

Perfect
By add on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for three years, and it is the best. I have enjoy my A4 more than any other car.

Love/Hate Relationship
By Oh...AUDI on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Bought with 65K miles 18 months ago. I spend alot of time behind the wheel, felt A4 would be nice ride that I could put tons of miles on.First 2 months were torture.Check engine light went on every other week.Oxygen sensors replaced twice b4 problem resolved. Since then I have put over 50K miles on this car with no major problems.Only issues are minor electrical glitches (ie stereo, climate cont. display, moonroof).Overall: would buy another from a good dealer with a good warranty.

Piece of Junk after 60K
By Disappointed in Audi on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Loved the car, until I hit 60K miles - fuel pump, thermostat, two water pumps, CV Boots, coolant reservoir, radio/casette player. Treated like a human wallet by the dealer in Hermosa Beach, CA. Used to love the car, now I am going broke keeping it going.

Terrific performance
By SaD on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I bought it used (96) in 4/99. Fantastic handling, cornering and shifting. Great Bose audio with 8 speakers. Very comfortable leather seats for long drive. I drove from DC to Quebec city - it was a lot of fun. Handles well at 120 mph (in Canada !). Overall fun and luxurious car to drive. Will definitely buy it again. Only had some trouble with front suspension once.