Used 1996 Audi A4 2.8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love my Audi
By jteen55

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I bought my A4 at 201,000 and it runs like a dream. After a few simple maintenance repairs (oil change and new battery) it quickly became the car of my dreams. Every now and then it likes to act up, but I chalk that up to its quirky personality. I wouldn't trade my 96 A4 for my friends 95 A6 if you paid me. For me my car is absolutely perfect and amazing. I cannot sing higher praises to my car. I love it.

Fun & Style
By Ryan

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Lead: Never Follow. Thats truly what Audi is all about. My lil' yellow rocket has so much in such a compact car. The 172HP V6 has plenty of get-up and go and has excellent handling and still a very smooth ride. Of course there is the fear of german cars, but I myself have not had many problems with mine. Other than basic maintenance, I've never had a problem. With 124,000 miles, this engine has plenty left too. And with the 1996 worth a measly $5-$6k, you can get style, comfort, and performance at a great price. And with Quattro, you can't co wrong. It adds versatility to the list as well. Overall, I would highly recommend this car to anyone, young or old.

Favorite Features

Style, alloy wheels, V6, perforated leather, heated seats, silky smooth 5- speed, handling.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better fuel economy, bigger back seat, cheaper parts

Fun to Drive but maintainance high
By lawoody

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

My car is the FWD 2.8 with 5 spd. auto. The car is very smooth to drive and steers nicely. Strong brakes but the engine isn't the strongest. Great for long drives. Maintanance is costly compared to a honda/toyota/nissan but not out of line. Engine consumes zero oil at 65K. MPG is 23 mix or 27 highway. Some electrical glitches but nothing major.

Favorite Features

ride, handling, smoothness.

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholders, more power and reliability.

Generally a great car
By Blues listener

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

Love the car. I'm the third owner. I have had to replace the air conditioner, and recently, the transmission. That means I will be keeping it for at least a couple more years to recover those costs. It is in excellent shape and drives like a dream, so I have no problems with that. Warning: all problems should be addressed early when they show up.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design. Nice scooty size - not too big nor too small. Fun driving experience both for city and highway, and easy to fit into tight parking spaces.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, rear leg room (not much of a problem for me - mostly only 2 people in the car at any one time.) We have a van for larger crowds.

Think Carefully
By SMPM

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I love my A4 but the reviews are true. My model year rec'd high marks for everything Xcpt suspension; these cars crush themselves under their own wght & wear down the assoc parts more quickly. It's a heavy car and it makes a difference in an accident; I was broadsided at 35mph; I lost my rear passenger door and some trim but wasn't hurt. Interior ergonomics second to none; 5-speed auto is silk. Get 30mpg on the highway with the 2.8L. It's prudent to get the timing belt changed much earlier than the rcmmndd mfgr mlge date. These are things that have to be done on any auto anyway.

Favorite Features

Interior ergonomics

Suggested Improvements

Suspension components