2011 Audi A3 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2.0 TDI Premium 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual - (6 reviews )
Reliability Issues
By a3owner1 on 08/18/12 04:05 AM (PDT)

2011 Audi A3 Diesel 2.0 TDI Premium 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have owned for 2 years and put 55K miles on my A3 TDI. Bought car for performance and great MPG - commute is 100 miles per day. With 500 miles left on warranty Mechatronics unit went - first time had issues was 25K miles and dealer did software update. (it's roughly$3,200 repair if out of warranty). At 54K miles EGR valve clogged with ash - ($800 repair & AUDI offered no help) I called AudiUSA and got nowhere. DO NOT BUY this car for MPG savings, you'll give it all back in repairs. Overall nice car but, I also own 2 Toyotas and I'm spoiled by the fact that they don't break...I had always heard that Audi/VW reliability issues were a problem, definitely some buyer's remorse on A3

Outstanding Performance
By gyowell on 10/28/11 11:50 AM (PDT)

2011 Audi A3 Diesel 2.0 TDI Premium 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

So far, I am very satisfied with my new Audi A3 Diesel. The performance is really exceptional. It accelerates smoothly and corners very well. I am very happy with the build quality.

Great Blend of Fun and Fuel Economy
By drivetime99 on 09/09/11 19:13 PM (PDT)

2011 Audi A3 Diesel 2.0 TDI Premium 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I recently bought an A3 TDI and have enjoyed the first 2k miles. 35 mpg with fairly aggressive mixed city/hwy driving. I like not having to baby it to get good mileage. The car is very stable and composed at highway speeds and in the daily S. Florida rainstorms. If you test drive it, look for two things. 1) Diesel motor tick. It has such a quiet cabin that you may not hear it in a test drive. You'll hear it in your driveway though. Make sure it is not an issue for you. 2) Its truly an automated manual transmission it "catches" when coming to a slow stop, just like a manual does. Those not used to manuals may not like the feel. I love it though and am very happy with the purchase.

Beware of heated seat issues
By studiodriver on 06/23/11 10:19 AM (PDT)

2011 Audi A3 Diesel 2.0 TDI Premium 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

In most categories, I love this car. I like the look, the fuel economy, it's fun to drive and has a great stereo. The turbo lag does take some getting used to - When accelerating from a stop, it can take a full second or two for the turbo to engage. It's very responsive once you've started moving. Fuel economy is great and overall, it's really a fun little car. However, you should be aware that the heated seats are basically useless. My dealer explained that they have heard numerous complaints about them and that they perform 'to Spec'. If you Google Audi Heated seats, you'll find several Audi forums discussing the issue. If you love heated seats like I do, know that they don't work.

Almost There - but Audi got a bit cheap on this vehicle
By jinoc on 02/17/11 23:13 PM (PST)

2011 Audi A3 Diesel 2.0 TDI Premium 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Any car like this one with an MSRP over $33k should definitely have some common features: garage door opener, power passenger seats, memory settings, auto-dimming mirrors, and automatic headlights. Most of these things cost the manufacturer almost nothing to install, but Audi left them off the A3. This tells me they think the target market is not an upscale or move-up buyer who would expect these things. But I'd bet many other less-expensive vehicles have some or all of these features. All this aside - I really like this car. I was torn between an A3 and a Jetta TDI SportWagen, but went with the Audi because of a few better features. And it looks much better.

Relatively Great Fun
By slimjimmyz on 12/18/10 21:14 PM (PST)

2011 Audi A3 Diesel 2.0 TDI Premium 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I'm coming from the perspective of a family with young kids that has relied on Outbacks and older Nissan/Acura sedans. Our newish Outback serves as our workhorse car, so we felt more free to replace our aging 2nd car with a smaller non-all wheel drive car. We've been very happy with the handling and performance of the A3. I've gone through NE winters with front wheel drive and snow tires, and expect the A3 to do just fine. It feels plenty fast to us, and the handling and responsiveness is a clear cut above what we'd been used to. My wife was a bit hesitant about it after the first test drive, not being used to a diesel engine, but now even she says it's the perfect car for us.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Audi A3 Diesel in VA is:

$131 per month*