Fun Fast Practical - One Package
By Waterhead on
2009 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Satisfaction on a car purchase is all about previous experience and expectations. Previous: I've owned BMW's (328is, 528i). Mercedes (E350), Lexus (GX470). Love the tightness of a German car, combo sport and luxury. Need: I drive 15k/year, mostly highway with some 2 lane windy roads. My 528i had 160k miles, facing $5k on brakes, airbag sensor, struts, etc. I was also getting about 23mpg. Wanted something fun, fast with good mpg and room for family (wife, 2 girls). Enter A3: This car is about as perfect (based on my expectations/needs) as one can get. It is tighter than the BMW's, fast and fun. 30mpg - driven hard. Sunroof, stereo, leather seats, bluetooth all create luxury feel.
Favorite Features
1. Engine: 2.0T is better than 2.8L BMW. Smooth driven normally. Punch it or drop it into S, and "bam", you are off. High redline at 6,000 is maybe too much - but what fun. 2. Steering: feel for the road is great, corners great. 3. Ride: tight but never uncomfortable. 4. Quality:for level "10"
Suggested Improvements
1. Braking: When coming to stop, sometimes downshifts too abrupt, jerky stop. 2. Sunroof: full open creates huge noise in cabin. Cover is mesh, direct sun lights creates huge heat in cabin. 3. Window Controls: driver side, you have to reach back to get window controls. All very minor suggestions