Used 2009 Audi A3 Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Audi A3

View reviews for a specific A3 model:

2008 A3 2.0T (DSG)
By winddy

2009 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

uses way too much oil!
I am afraid to drive it a considerable amount of distance..
I check the oil one day, and although remarkably dirty,its full.
The next day I drive it 100 miles give or take..
when I get home I have NO OIL, and there was no alert telling me that the oil is low!!I have taken it back to my Audi dealership 3 times and it is going back for #4.

One more chance!otherwise this is a great car. I'd rather not sell it because of the poor treatment that I receive at the Audi dealership that I use.
Come on Audi. Once we buy your car - we are family!
Service Managers need to treat us better!!
Audi drivers want performance,high quality, and 6 star treatment!!!
thanks!

very pretty, sporty looking.. I like to drive something like this that not too many people have. Very easy to maneuver in and out of traffic. Could use some better performance tires for the curves. tires that it comes with are not good at all for winter driving, unless, like me you dont mind a nice adventure for sporty/fun winter driving. Comfy interior!! The ability to leave the car in auto, or shift it myself without a clutch is also a fun feature! Turbo does have lag, but when it does kick in, its fun!Hint.. do not sell this car to consumers without giving them the warning first that it will definitely be going thru allot of oil. Warn your buyers first so that they they know.

Improve the engine, it should not use this much oil, this is 2011! Needs higher quality performance tires that don't squeal at the slightest hint of a curve! A car is only as good as its tires. If I keep it I will be upgrading! Most people do not want a car that they constantly have to put oil in it. I did not know this when I bought the car - (with the incentive of a 5 year maintenance free plan.) Then the service manager tells me "its in the manual".. I would not have purchased this car if I knew how much oil it was going to consume, and that I was going to become afraid to even take it anywhere. Fix it and provide in us the need for our next car to be another Audi. thanks!

By nek_md

2009 Audi A3 2.0T quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Before I purchased my A3, I had been longing for an Audi for quite some time. Dealer made the new A3 more financially attractive than a low-mileage A4 from the prior model year. I have not regretted my decision and now have ~17,000 mi. on the car. No major mechanical problems. No quality issues except for poorly tracking sun-roof shade.

The engine is peppy. There IS turbo lag, contrary to what some critics have said, but the torque band is band is broad and smooth once it is engaged. DSG works nicely and allows driver to drive all speeds in manual fashion. Lovely steering wheel. Intuitive gauge placement. Supportive seats, although more side bolstering would be nice. Love the QUATTRO.

Engine, DSG, QUATTRO. Top-safety pick from the IIHS. Bullet-proof snow vehicle: With high-performance snow tires, it stuck to the road like glue in white-out conditions during a Vermont blizzard last winter. Trunk-space (yes, trunk space--and versatility).

Satellite radio and phone controls are not intuitive. Windshield washer/wiper programming needs to lose the delay wipe-once feature after the washing cycle is done. Needs rear fog light and auto-off headlamps for those of us who live in the North.

Fun Fast Practical - One Package
By Waterhead

2009 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Satisfaction on a car purchase is all about previous experience and expectations. Previous: I've owned BMW's (328is, 528i). Mercedes (E350), Lexus (GX470). Love the tightness of a German car, combo sport and luxury. Need: I drive 15k/year, mostly highway with some 2 lane windy roads. My 528i had 160k miles, facing $5k on brakes, airbag sensor, struts, etc. I was also getting about 23mpg. Wanted something fun, fast with good mpg and room for family (wife, 2 girls). Enter A3: This car is about as perfect (based on my expectations/needs) as one can get. It is tighter than the BMW's, fast and fun. 30mpg - driven hard. Sunroof, stereo, leather seats, bluetooth all create luxury feel.

1. Engine: 2.0T is better than 2.8L BMW. Smooth driven normally. Punch it or drop it into S, and "bam", you are off. High redline at 6,000 is maybe too much - but what fun. 2. Steering: feel for the road is great, corners great. 3. Ride: tight but never uncomfortable. 4. Quality:for level "10"

1. Braking: When coming to stop, sometimes downshifts too abrupt, jerky stop. 2. Sunroof: full open creates huge noise in cabin. Cover is mesh, direct sun lights creates huge heat in cabin. 3. Window Controls: driver side, you have to reach back to get window controls. All very minor suggestions

First import for my garage
By Andy

2009 Audi A3 2.0T quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Coming from a Chevy-only-world I could not be any happier. Power, style, handling, it's all there in spades. The combination of redesigned 2.0T-TFSI, DSG transmission and Haldex AWD is amazing. It is so fun to drive I find myself taking the long-way home almost every day. And the hatch makes it extremely practical. My dog loves cruising around, grinning at everyone through the back window. And the folding back seats have made room for a new grill, small patio set and almost everything I need to haul. On top of all this the A3 is top-rated for safety and sips so little gas I have no concerns with non-stop spirited driving.

2.0T-TFSI + AWD = WIN Economy and ground gripping traction is hard to beat. Symphony II+ is a breeze to use compared to any one-button Apple-ish interface. DSG is hands down the best feeling auto-manual. So smooth compared to a BMW SMG single-clutch. And stock LEDs are amazing!

Replace shinny aluminum trim with base "black-chrome". More features should be standard --auto-dimming mirrors. Seats are a bit tight and not comfortable after 1-2 hours on the road. Harder windshield and thicker paint. Re-tune engine to unlock true potential, like many 3rd party tuners have.

3rd audi
By jeff

2009 Audi A3 2.0T quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Went to my local dealer and drove a 2009 A3 2.0 quattro with bluetooth, open sky, and satellite radio. Even though I thought I wanted a manual again I got such a good deal plus really wanting quattro I bought the 09. The DSG transmission is growing on me. I have always maintained my Audi's and never had any reliability issues other than normal wear and tear items. The A3 is well built and is versatile. It is a perfect car for running errands in town but also does well on longer trips.

The DSG transmission has become my favorite feature of the A3. I can drive in automatic when in traffic or become a formula 1 racer with my paddle shifters. Quattro is a beautiful thing when you live in snow country.

The shift point in sport mode is too high. In the A6 it is about 4000 rpm which is about right. In the A3 it is about 5200 which seems too high.