Used 2009 Audi A3 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Audi A3 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A3 model:

Looks good but constant minor issues
By seattle1984

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My 2009 Audi A3 driver side door does not work with the fob. The other doors work fine. The shop says the door lock actuator needs to be replaced total cost $750! The low oil light keeps on popping up. I have not gotten an estimate and will wait until my 105k maintenance. The car looks and drives well. Also, the MPG is pretty good even on Premium gas. However my old and ancient Camry seems to have less constant minor issues.

Not Reliable...Never Again!
By futureman001

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just after warranty, the manifold went bad. The injectors went bad. After five years of ownership the main engine seal and the oil separator went bad ($2,000) and the fuse housing under the hood melted ($675). I have been driving for 32 years and I have gotten bad gasoline with this car twice. Never before in 32 years has that occurred. The car is over engineered and too temperamental. VW's I've owned were also unreliable. If you have plenty of money and time to spend at the shop, you may consider this a fun car.

Love the exterior design. A little cramped inside.

Audi/VW needs to finally fix their habitual electrical problems as well as other recurring issues.

a year and 30k miles in my A3
By eurocarlover19

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 09 A3(2.0T w/S-tronic) in July 2012, with 51k miles, now has 81k miles. MPG has actually gotten better, and I routinely get over 30 commuting to work(22 miles one way). Had to replace the electronic throttle, but other than that, I've spent $2.5k on regular maintenance--tune up, oil changes, brakes, tires. The seatbacks came unglued, so i simply super-glued them back together, with no issues. The armrest also came undone, but to replace the top portion, it will cost me $200, so that will also be super-glued back. I will consider the 2015 A3 when it arrives, though i'll also be cross-shopping with the Volvo V60(soon to arrive), and the new GTI.

comfortable ride, good acceleration, cargo space, decent stock stereo, which i'll soon be upgrading.

i hate(and i rarely use that word) the s-tronic!!!!!!! hate it!!!!!! it's best described as "herky-jerky". the extra-terrestrial shifting in the old Maserati Quattroporte has nothing on this crappy transmission! it jerks from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and then when you are braking, it downshifts with a jerking action. and don't be in traffic....you have to time it just right so that it doesn't jerk on you, as if you were driving your first manual tranny car! why couldn't they have just gone with the tiptronic??? if this behaves the same way in the 2015 A3, i'll be trading this sucker in for the Volvo!

A GTI in a suit
By since59

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I needed to replace my 11 year old TT roadster with a larger car. I was looking at 2-3 year old A4 Avants but they were too expensive. Last week I bought an A3 used with 30k on the odometer. I just finished a 1000 mile road trip in 100+ degree heat at an average speed of 85 mph without a single problem. Great power from the 2.0 turbo that emits a wonderful snarl when you floor it and the dual clutch transmission is an able dance partner in the twisties. The dual zone AC kept the cabin of my black on black skyroof equipped A3 cool and comfortable while we cruised through the Mojave desert and the engine temp needle never budged past the middle of the dial. Great little car!

This is a GTI in a tailored suit just more upscale while still staying true to the GTI's sporting capabilities. The quasi-wagon versitility is a great plus when you need to a lot of stuff really fast!

More rear seat legroom. I'm 6' tall and when I have the driver's seat adjusted for me there is little room for anyone taller than 5', 5" in the backseat.

2008 A3 2.0T (DSG)
By winddy

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

uses way too much oil! I am afraid to drive it a considerable amount of distance.. I check the oil one day, and although remarkably dirty,its full. The next day I drive it 100 miles give or take.. when I get home I have NO OIL, and there was no alert telling me that the oil is low!!I have taken it back to my Audi dealership 3 times and it is going back for #4. One more chance!otherwise this is a great car. I'd rather not sell it because of the poor treatment that I receive at the Audi dealership that I use. Come on Audi. Once we buy your car - we are family! Service Managers need to treat us better!! Audi drivers want performance,high quality, and 6 star treatment!!! thanks!

very pretty, sporty looking.. I like to drive something like this that not too many people have. Very easy to maneuver in and out of traffic. Could use some better performance tires for the curves. tires that it comes with are not good at all for winter driving, unless, like me you dont mind a nice adventure for sporty/fun winter driving. Comfy interior!! The ability to leave the car in auto, or shift it myself without a clutch is also a fun feature! Turbo does have lag, but when it does kick in, its fun!Hint.. do not sell this car to consumers without giving them the warning first that it will definitely be going thru allot of oil. Warn your buyers first so that they they know.

Improve the engine, it should not use this much oil, this is 2011! Needs higher quality performance tires that don't squeal at the slightest hint of a curve! A car is only as good as its tires. If I keep it I will be upgrading! Most people do not want a car that they constantly have to put oil in it. I did not know this when I bought the car - (with the incentive of a 5 year maintenance free plan.) Then the service manager tells me "its in the manual".. I would not have purchased this car if I knew how much oil it was going to consume, and that I was going to become afraid to even take it anywhere. Fix it and provide in us the need for our next car to be another Audi. thanks!