2009 Audi A3 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A3 model:
Not Reliable...Never Again!
By futureman001 on 01/14/14 08:26 AM (PST)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just after warranty, the manifold went bad. The injectors went bad. After five years of ownership the main engine seal and the oil separator went bad ($2,000) and the fuse housing under the hood melted ($675). I have been driving for 32 years and I have gotten bad gasoline with this car twice. Never before in 32 years has that occurred. The car is over engineered and too temperamental. VW's I've owned were also unreliable. If you have plenty of money and time to spend at the shop, you may consider this a fun car.

a year and 30k miles in my A3
By eurocarlover19 on 08/18/13 20:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 09 A3(2.0T w/S-tronic) in July 2012, with 51k miles, now has 81k miles. MPG has actually gotten better, and I routinely get over 30 commuting to work(22 miles one way). Had to replace the electronic throttle, but other than that, I've spent $2.5k on regular maintenance--tune up, oil changes, brakes, tires. The seatbacks came unglued, so i simply super-glued them back together, with no issues. The armrest also came undone, but to replace the top portion, it will cost me $200, so that will also be super-glued back. I will consider the 2015 A3 when it arrives, though i'll also be cross-shopping with the Volvo V60(soon to arrive), and the new GTI.

A GTI in a suit
By since59 on 04/21/12 23:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I needed to replace my 11 year old TT roadster with a larger car. I was looking at 2-3 year old A4 Avants but they were too expensive. Last week I bought an A3 used with 30k on the odometer. I just finished a 1000 mile road trip in 100+ degree heat at an average speed of 85 mph without a single problem. Great power from the 2.0 turbo that emits a wonderful snarl when you floor it and the dual clutch transmission is an able dance partner in the twisties. The dual zone AC kept the cabin of my black on black skyroof equipped A3 cool and comfortable while we cruised through the Mojave desert and the engine temp needle never budged past the middle of the dial. Great little car!

2008 A3 2.0T (DSG)
By winddy on 01/16/11 12:35 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

uses way too much oil! I am afraid to drive it a considerable amount of distance.. I check the oil one day, and although remarkably dirty,its full. The next day I drive it 100 miles give or take.. when I get home I have NO OIL, and there was no alert telling me that the oil is low!!I have taken it back to my Audi dealership 3 times and it is going back for #4. One more chance!otherwise this is a great car. I'd rather not sell it because of the poor treatment that I receive at the Audi dealership that I use. Come on Audi. Once we buy your car - we are family! Service Managers need to treat us better!! Audi drivers want performance,high quality, and 6 star treatment!!! thanks!

By nek_md on 12/11/10 20:41 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Before I purchased my A3, I had been longing for an Audi for quite some time. Dealer made the new A3 more financially attractive than a low-mileage A4 from the prior model year. I have not regretted my decision and now have ~17,000 mi. on the car. No major mechanical problems. No quality issues except for poorly tracking sun-roof shade. The engine is peppy. There IS turbo lag, contrary to what some critics have said, but the torque band is band is broad and smooth once it is engaged. DSG works nicely and allows driver to drive all speeds in manual fashion. Lovely steering wheel. Intuitive gauge placement. Supportive seats, although more side bolstering would be nice. Love the QUATTRO.

Fun Fast Practical - One Package
By Waterhead on 08/30/10 07:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Satisfaction on a car purchase is all about previous experience and expectations. Previous: I've owned BMW's (328is, 528i). Mercedes (E350), Lexus (GX470). Love the tightness of a German car, combo sport and luxury. Need: I drive 15k/year, mostly highway with some 2 lane windy roads. My 528i had 160k miles, facing $5k on brakes, airbag sensor, struts, etc. I was also getting about 23mpg. Wanted something fun, fast with good mpg and room for family (wife, 2 girls). Enter A3: This car is about as perfect (based on my expectations/needs) as one can get. It is tighter than the BMW's, fast and fun. 30mpg - driven hard. Sunroof, stereo, leather seats, bluetooth all create luxury feel.

First import for my garage
By Andy on 06/02/10 07:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Coming from a Chevy-only-world I could not be any happier. Power, style, handling, it's all there in spades. The combination of redesigned 2.0T-TFSI, DSG transmission and Haldex AWD is amazing. It is so fun to drive I find myself taking the long-way home almost every day. And the hatch makes it extremely practical. My dog loves cruising around, grinning at everyone through the back window. And the folding back seats have made room for a new grill, small patio set and almost everything I need to haul. On top of all this the A3 is top-rated for safety and sips so little gas I have no concerns with non-stop spirited driving.

3rd audi
By jeff on 12/26/09 19:47 PM (PST)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Went to my local dealer and drove a 2009 A3 2.0 quattro with bluetooth, open sky, and satellite radio. Even though I thought I wanted a manual again I got such a good deal plus really wanting quattro I bought the 09. The DSG transmission is growing on me. I have always maintained my Audi's and never had any reliability issues other than normal wear and tear items. The A3 is well built and is versatile. It is a perfect car for running errands in town but also does well on longer trips.

Great sporty car
By David on 10/27/09 15:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved this car. I just turned it in this weekend for my 3rd Audi in three years. I needed a bigger car for the family so I went with an A6. I have owned BMW's, VW's, Mercedes, Ford's, Chevy's, & Toyota's. Audi's are by far the best as far as I am concerned. I custom ordered it from Audi with the options I wanted (convenience pckg, open sky, cold weather, s-line). It has great pep for a 4 cylinder turbo. I added H & R sport spring and bilstein shocks to it and wow was this car a fun car to drive. I love Audi's design of the new '09's and the LED's speak for themselves.

Don't buy
By gisrail on 07/28/09 07:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So much for German engineering; they have not discovered aluminium. All the interior design is in plastic with silly parts that break and are not covered by the warranty. I used the back seat arm rest once and it broke; I plugged an ipod in the cigarette lighter and it broke; the two moon light roof hatches broke; the bolt that holds the spare tire broke, etc. In addition, the car gets a check engine light every six months (and deal with the service people.) It's the only brand that charges for rental car while on service, contrary to what they said at purchase.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Audi A3 Wagon in NJ is:

$249 per month*