King of the Mountain
By k2mtb on
2008 Audi A3 3.2 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
Considering how many times a season I head up to the ski slopes here in Colorado a 4wd hatchback was a must. Coming from a Subaru family I started my search there, but was put off by the WRX's insatiable need for speed.. however thanks to this site I stumbled upon the Audi A3 and haven't looked back since. I'm able to hold highway speeds in the worst snowstorms and the A3 doesn't even wiggle when charging through the midlane muck. Weaving in and out of traffic while pulling up I70 is a breeze, one swipe of the paddle shifter and I'm gone. But more-over, its the fit and finish that has won me over, everything is just as it should be and that coupled with the handling is pure eloquence.
Favorite Features
The DSG, while it takes a little bit of getting used to is an absolute riot to drive. Its nearly impossible not to get lost in a nicely tuned Bose sound system. And I must also say, the ability of the ski pass-through to fit two full snowboarding setups makes a spur of the moment trip way too easy.
Suggested Improvements
Be ready to increase the gas budget, I have a 50 mile daily commute that's in and out of the mountains, and with a car that makes it this easy to pass the van going 5 under in the left lane, its not hard to watch the needle drop. I've been averaging 21.5 mpg driving it mixed between standard drive and DSG shifting myself. Not too terribly bad, but I think that's the best I can get out of the A3 and its oh-so-easy to get much less.