Used 2008 Audi A3 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A3 model:

Quattro for life
By Quattro rocks.

2008 Audi A3 Wagon 3.2 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bullet fast. Sticks to the road like glue. Modern interior design. Awesome sound system. Torque and horsepower to spare. Quattro all wheel drive. This car is worth every penny, and is truly a driver's car. The A3 3.2 is a total blast to drive. Spent the better part of 1 year comparing the A3 3.2 Quattro to the IS 250 AWD, Infiniti G35, Acura TL, and the BMW 325xi. The Audi is the thinking man's BMW, whatever that means. Gas mileage not all that great, but nobody buys a 250 hp v6 for the gas mileage... you buy it for the big grin it puts on your face when you hammer the throttle. I love this car, go buy one now!

Favorite Features

3.2l engine + Quattro AWD = unmatched performance vs the competition. Seats are really comfortable and sound system rocks. Has MANY standard options (sirius, 6 disc changer w/ Bose premium system, rain sensing wipers, sun sensing headlights, autodimming mirrors, etc.).

Suggested Improvements

Make xenon headlights and heated seats standard.

King of the Mountain
By k2mtb

2008 Audi A3 Wagon 3.2 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Considering how many times a season I head up to the ski slopes here in Colorado a 4wd hatchback was a must. Coming from a Subaru family I started my search there, but was put off by the WRX's insatiable need for speed.. however thanks to this site I stumbled upon the Audi A3 and haven't looked back since. I'm able to hold highway speeds in the worst snowstorms and the A3 doesn't even wiggle when charging through the midlane muck. Weaving in and out of traffic while pulling up I70 is a breeze, one swipe of the paddle shifter and I'm gone. But more-over, its the fit and finish that has won me over, everything is just as it should be and that coupled with the handling is pure eloquence.

Favorite Features

The DSG, while it takes a little bit of getting used to is an absolute riot to drive. Its nearly impossible not to get lost in a nicely tuned Bose sound system. And I must also say, the ability of the ski pass-through to fit two full snowboarding setups makes a spur of the moment trip way too easy.

Suggested Improvements

Be ready to increase the gas budget, I have a 50 mile daily commute that's in and out of the mountains, and with a car that makes it this easy to pass the van going 5 under in the left lane, its not hard to watch the needle drop. I've been averaging 21.5 mpg driving it mixed between standard drive and DSG shifting myself. Not too terribly bad, but I think that's the best I can get out of the A3 and its oh-so-easy to get much less.

Overall a great car
By N. HERNANDEZ

2008 Audi A3 Wagon 3.2 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I test drove many vehicles for about 6 months. Between them were BMW 328x & 335x, Acura RDX, BMW X3, Infiniti G35x and Lexus IS 250 AWD. Audi A3 overall had all the features that I wanted, AWD, cargo flexibility, compact size, powerful engine and a good level of luxury. The A3 is impressive the way it handles. Coming from a previous S4 I was worried that the car wouldn't satisfy me but it has proved me wrong. I like this vehicle more and more as a continue to drive it.

Favorite Features

Smooth power and great transmission. The ride of the vehicle is sporty but not punishing. Flexibility of the cargo space. Size of the car is excellent since I live in NYC.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon lights should be standard at this price. Paddle shifters shouldn't turn with the steering wheel. Fuel mileage could be a little better. Touch screen navigation would make this car perfect.

Think it over
By zhengsmassage

2008 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When I first bought this car I loved it! It is fun to drive, the stick shift is fast and with a few modifications this car can look nice. Good gas mileage, good sound system. I really like everything about this car except. It has given me so many problems. My car is only two years old now with 40,000 miles and currently in the shop again. My battery has gone bad after only two years! Unbelievable! I replaced the starter in the car twice, once at 8,000 miles and another at 20. Don't know how long Audi will cover it but I think there might be a bigger problem causing it. I also replaced the stereo system because of a malfunction and the windshield wiper sensor (hazard with no ww in the rain

Favorite Features

fast, fun, interior design a plus, comfortable to drive. the manual is smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability! I have an a4 and a a3, the a4 is older with 3x's the miles and it is more reliable! I have had to have the a3 towed 3 times. Thank god for Audi AAA roadside assistance.

Fast, Fun, Reliable, and Comfortable!
By jcj8

2008 Audi A3 Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned an Audi A3 for three years, and appreciate it more and more each day I drive it. The turbocharged 2.0T engine is very zippy and the short-throw 6-speed manual transmission makes driving the A3 particularly fun, but what really sets the car apart from its competition is its fantastic handling. The car loves curves and the tires stick to the road like glue. From the moment the car accelerates onto an onramp, the solid feel of Audi's suspension and quiet cabin give the passenger a sense of confidence at highway speeds. Even after three years of daily driving, nothing has broken on my A3 and its been to the shop only for its regularly scheduled and warranty-covered maintenance.

Favorite Features

The tight turning radius and responsive steering at low speeds is very useful for navigating city streets and parking spots. I'll also add my praise to the already loud choir of accolades for the Audi 2.0T motor, which smoothly delivers well more than enough oomph for the little A3. It's truly a modern miracle how the A3 gets such great fuel economy while generating so much power. The interior is very comfortable. All of the controls and displays are intuitive, and the leather trim is very plush and luxurious. The two skylights in both the front and back give the cabin an open and airy feel. The basic sound system is excellent and easily allows passengers to plug in iPods/iPhones.

Suggested Improvements

I can only recommend that Audi ship more of the standard transmission A3s to the US. I don't know if Audi is offering more manual transmission vehicles these days, but back in 2008 I had to call three dealers to track down an A3 with a standard transmission and the color that I wanted. The automatic transmission is almost certainly faster 0-60 mph, but the 6-speed is just so much fun that I would never opt for anything else. On a similar note, I would love to see the diesel TDI motor offered here with a manual transmission.