2006 Audi A3 Consumer Review: Good Service, Junk Car

2006 Audi A3 - Consumer Review

2006 Audi A3

2.0T Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

Good Service, Junk Car
By helmethead1 on

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Owned certified pre-owned 2006 A3 for 2 months. Heres my timeline, you can be the judge.
Week 1 - Heater Blower Motor Dies, Replacement is louder then stereo can go
Week 2 - Engine Misfires in Cylinders 3, Car in the shop for a week.
Week 3 - Coolant not working AUX fan comes on to cool engine, caused by freezing coolant (improper mix)
Week 4 - Engine Light Flashes, Misfire in 3 & 4, Car in shop for week
Week 5 - Engine light solid coming off and on
Week 6 - Full Coolant Leak, caused by cracked housing from freezing. (another improper mix)
Week 7 - Misfires between gear changes (2nd and 3rd gear)
Week 8 - Engine Light Solid, returned car to dealership for FULL refund

I really enjoyed driving this car when it worked, it was smooth, fast and fun to drive. However these constant problems killed my whole look on Audi period. During my visits to the shop there were numerous A3's & A4's getting major engine work done and it really made me realize that this might be a constant problem with the 2.0T engine. After doing some research I noticed that the VW Tourag which uses the same engine had a recall for misfire problems. The dealership I bought from was great and took care of me every step of the way and even offered to upgrade me to an A4 but I just couldnt take the chance. So overall I would seriously do some research and talk to mechanics before buying Audi.

I live in an area that is 2 hours from the closest dealership and has an average winter temperature of -20c. I think that if they are gonna offer certified pre-owned that a customer should be able to take the car to a local liscenced shop to avoid long towing when engine light flashes and also leaving the customer no choice but having to rent a car for a week when in the shop. Also I honestly dont think these cars are designed to handle that kind of cold weather, most days at -20c the car struggled hard to start and i think this might have been a mojor cause in the misfires. Hope this is a useful review to someone, I'd really hate for someone to put up with a car like I had to deal with.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By dieselbreath
on 05/23/16 18:36 PM (PDT)

The Touareg was never sold in NA with a 4-cyl. Only V6 & V8 gas, V-10 TDI in early years. V6 TDI in later years. The Audi 2.0t was on Ward's "10 Best Engines" list for years. VW had ignition coil problems during the MK5 years, and I had a GTI with the same engine ... had VW replace all coil-packs when car had 80,000 kms. Otherwise, engine is bullet-proof, and is often hopped-up to 400 HP for rally use without touching internals, which indicates how "over built" it is.