2006 Audi A3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A3 model:
Nearly 4 years in...
By AW on 01/04/10 07:48 AM (PST)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

... and just passed 65,000 miles. Still love driving the car. Clutch still good. So far, failures are: a/c compressor, turbo valve, psgr lock button and radiator gave way at 52,000 miles; the last one really got me bent 'cause the car was just out of warranty. Now have check engine light on, but car is running fine. Coded as fuel cap leak, so not worried. Car is on third set of tires. Original pirellis VERY noisy when worn, got zeons then yokahamas. Zeons good but wore out in about 5 minutes, yokahamas are a good compromise.

Reliability is terrible
By jopsomer on 10/26/09 16:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had an Audi A3 2006 and it's been nothing but trouble, with numerous repair visits to the dealer (covered by warranty until recently). The problem areas have been the fuel injection system and various electronic components. Just in the last 6 months, I've been to the dealer 7 times. If you like to spend time in the waiting room of your dealership, this is the car for you. Otherwise, there are much better (and cheaper) choices out there.

A3 Tire noise
By Irv on 08/30/09 10:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Audi A3 3.2 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I love the car, however, at 7500 miles I complained about tire noise. The dealer's response was to replace the tires. I felt that this answer was inadequate. Am I supposed to replace my tires every 7500 miles? Audi obviously knows about the problem on the A3 but refuses to do anything about it. This has soured me on the car. I will never buy another Audi.

Now I Get It!
By Florida commuter on 05/22/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I needed a decent mileage, daily commuter that I could live with. Looked at domestic and Japanese offerings - settled on an 06' A3, 2.0T, DSG, 25,000 miles for $19k. The hatch layout provides extra room when I need it. This car is fun, fun, fun. Don't know how I ever lived without DSG trans. My 1st Audi and handles awesome. Had a 09' S4 convertible loaner during last service w/o DSG and couldn't wait to get mine back. Both front and back armrest latches have broken and there was a turbo problem - handled under warranty with loaner. The little problems are worth the fun factor for me!

Great car--lousy service
By bob52r on 05/15/09 21:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This 06 A3 has been described to me as over engineered. When the car works well--95% of the time it is fantastic. When the a/c compressor went, it took 3 visits to the dealer with them telling that nothing was wrong, until I went crazy and an exec got into the car and told the service manager I was right. The radio switches stations on its own randomly--Audi says it's my imagination and I should buy my own aftermarket replacement etc.....I really don't know if the collection just has bad service or Audi USA is not consumer friendly --as they blame each other. 4 or 5 other thing have gone wrong over 21,000 miles. Not horrible, but not top reliability. It's a fight to get the dealer to fix it?

Very VERY Disappointed
By Baz Naz on 05/04/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was excited to finally own an Audi. At first the car was fun to drive then things started to go wrong at around 12,000 miles. First the diaphragm for the turbo. Then the DSM Transmission failed. Had to get towed. After my dealer rebuilt the transmission the car lurches into gear never a smooth take off. Last week the entire cam shaft had to be replaced because the lobes on the shaft that drive the fuel pump worn completely through the follower and into the pump itself. Check engine light comes on constantly. Engine uses 1 quart of oil every 4,000 miles. Sun roof cover has been broken 3 times since I got the car and now is fixed with a temporary paper clip. Ugghhh!

2006 A3 2.0T Manuel
By Bob W on 02/14/09 07:58 AM (PST)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought new, love this car. Had a VW Jetta 1.8 T, loved that also but this is much better. Great all season vehicle snow/rain no problem all season. Perelli P6 stick like glue and wear like iron. Just changed at 45K. Plenty of room for golf clubs and pull cart in rear without folding down rear seats. Vehicle has been very reliable. Handles like it's on rails. Would definitely consider buying another next year!!!

Dissapoinment
By a3sfca on 11/15/08 10:10 AM (PST)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The reliability has been terrible. Back in shop over and over again in the past six months. The warranty and the extended warranty has been useless. Always pondering what will break next. Not fun when you are driving a seven year old around.

Never Again
By DavidK45 on 08/27/08 22:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The 2.0 liter turbo jerks a lot and gas mileage is average. Rides great on the highway but too "loose" in the city. I have had several problems with my car and am just glad it is under warranty (though a new battery is not covered). My battery completely died after two years. The clip for the sunshade on the Open Sky system broke (as is common) and was replaced by a non-matching black clip (interior is grey). At 21,500 miles, my manual transmission broke where 1st gear and reverse did not work. My car is currently in the shop (over one week now) and Audi is going to replace the transmission since they are afraid the problem could spread to the other gears if they rebuild it.

Amazing Car for the Money
By Andy and Marcia on 07/13/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has been a very nice vehicle to own. It has been to Northern Michigan during the winter ( ESP worked very well )and the summer A/C worked very well . Average mileage winter/ summer is about 23 mpg city and about 28 / 29 highway. In the winter we have seen 32 mpg on a round trip to Atlanta and on a trip to North Carolina we saw about 28 . Very comfortable on a long trip. In town as an errand vehicle the car has been very handy. Parking is a breeze and even in summer with the AC running ( as in right now ) we get about 21 in town day to day stop and go. The warranty on the 2006 was handy with the sunshade and the AC needing repair as well as the oil change and service intervals.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.