Used 2006 Audi A3 Consumer Reviews - 176 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A3 model:

Good Service, Junk Car
By helmethead1

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Owned certified pre-owned 2006 A3 for 2 months. Heres my timeline, you can be the judge.
Week 1 - Heater Blower Motor Dies, Replacement is louder then stereo can go
Week 2 - Engine Misfires in Cylinders 3, Car in the shop for a week.
Week 3 - Coolant not working AUX fan comes on to cool engine, caused by freezing coolant (improper mix)
Week 4 - Engine Light Flashes, Misfire in 3 & 4, Car in shop for week
Week 5 - Engine light solid coming off and on
Week 6 - Full Coolant Leak, caused by cracked housing from freezing. (another improper mix)
Week 7 - Misfires between gear changes (2nd and 3rd gear)
Week 8 - Engine Light Solid, returned car to dealership for FULL refund

I really enjoyed driving this car when it worked, it was smooth, fast and fun to drive. However these constant problems killed my whole look on Audi period. During my visits to the shop there were numerous A3's & A4's getting major engine work done and it really made me realize that this might be a constant problem with the 2.0T engine. After doing some research I noticed that the VW Tourag which uses the same engine had a recall for misfire problems. The dealership I bought from was great and took care of me every step of the way and even offered to upgrade me to an A4 but I just couldnt take the chance. So overall I would seriously do some research and talk to mechanics before buying Audi.

I live in an area that is 2 hours from the closest dealership and has an average winter temperature of -20c. I think that if they are gonna offer certified pre-owned that a customer should be able to take the car to a local liscenced shop to avoid long towing when engine light flashes and also leaving the customer no choice but having to rent a car for a week when in the shop. Also I honestly dont think these cars are designed to handle that kind of cold weather, most days at -20c the car struggled hard to start and i think this might have been a mojor cause in the misfires. Hope this is a useful review to someone, I'd really hate for someone to put up with a car like I had to deal with.

Great car let down by DSG
By ic70

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I wanted a fun-to-drive car, with a bit more luxury. The A3, being based on the GTI, should be fun-to-drive, and come with nice Audi touches, so I thought this was the car for me. The Audi comfort touches are all there, but sadly, the fun-to-drive was not. The major problem is that in Drive mode, the DSG transmission like to conserve fuel, so it keeps rpm low (1500rpm). This means that when you need power, it takes a long second or two to kick down 2-3 gears to get going, which really really kills the fun-to-drive factor. On Sport mode, it's nice and aggressive (never drops below 3000 rpm), but for daily driving, it's a little too "caffeinated."

Leather seats, quality feel to all controls, auto headlights and wipers. All the creature comforts basically.

Wake up that DSG program in Drive mode! Keep rpm at least above 2000 rpm in Drive. It's embarrassing when you press the accelerator, and nothing happens, and then you press some more, and then the wheels screech from the sudden surge of power from the lower gears. Awful really.

Great car when it runs
By helloworld

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had A3 2.0T 6MT Sports package. Very fun to drive, but very unreliable. Over 4 and 1/2 years of owing it at 45000 miles, I had window sensor issues, hutch lock system replaced, ignition coil failed 3 times, cannot keep alignment more than 6 months, coolant start leaking, center console for rear broke off, temperature sensor failed. Dealer in MA will charge each inspection $110 even it is nothing more than error code download and same task. Start costing me a lot to own it. I finally got rid of it

Seat. 6MT. Turbo. Storage space.

Reliability. I don't understand why there are so many problems when technologies are shared with so many different models from Audi and VW.

What a surprise!
By Florida Car

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just got this A3 with 55,000 on it. The interior did surprise me. Well made and very good design. Drove it and just after 5 minutes I knew this one was a keeper. Been in the car rental business for over 25 years, you get to know vehicles, and this one really won me over that fast. I hope that it will be as good on reliability. The Europeans have it right, just the right size and no wasted of space.

Engine noise as you rev up, driving dynamics, interior comfort and design, double sunroof, trunk space.

None so far, well may be one oil qtr. per month.

So much for German Engineering
By Juanp

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It seems that Germans have not discovered aluminum. All the interior design is in plastic with silly parts that break and are not covered by the warranty. Of course, the crooks from the dealer will charge $1000 for any stupid part and make you wait for a week to get it. I used the back seat arm rest once and it broke; I plugged an ipod in the cigarette lighter and it broke; the two moon light roof hatches broke; the bolt that holds the spare tire broke, etc. In addition, the car gets a check engine light every six months. As another reviewer noted, I had to change the Pirelli tires at 10k miles because they were really noisy. Finally, the dealers are pretty bad (but that's another post)

Handling; acceleration with the turbo on

Get new dealers, run some quality checks on the car