2012 Acura TSX Consumer Review: Excellent value for the money

2012 Acura TSX Sedan - Consumer Review

Excellent value for the money - but not perfect
By mtsn on

2012 Acura TSX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I traded in an aging BMW X5 with a V8 that I loved but couldn't handle the expensive repairs any longer. The TSX with technology package is roughly $12-$15k less than a similarly equipped BMW, Audi, Mercedes and also $5-10k less than a similarly equipped Infiniti or Lexus. I've been very pleased on the value the car offers for the price, but it definitely does not drive "German". The 4 cylinder noise is not pleasing the ear, but it does offer decent power and economy. The safety ratings are excellent, the sound system is very good, it has lots of standard equipment (xenons, leather, sunroof, bluetooth), and is a very solidly built car. I am happy with my purchase...but I still miss my BMW :)

Standard equipment list is excellent - xenons, leather, sunroof, bluetooth, heated seats, etc. I bought the tech package and highly recommend it. It has a great screen, very good navigation, and a good Ipod/pandora interface and a decent backup camera. The extra $30 a month or so in my lease payment is well worth it for the features. Also, the seats are comfortable, the leather is high quality and perforated which is nice in the Vegas heat. Something else that other companies charge for that's standard in the TSX that I really appreciate is the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. I actually use them nearly every day, and they work very well.

I am a little critical in the sense I have "downgraded" from a vehicle costing $60k new to the TSX, but I feel like I really haven't given up too much other than driving feel. The 4 cylinder engine offers acceptable performance, but it could definitely use a lot more low end torque. Accelerating from a stop light requires a lot of RPMs to get moving, and passing on the freeway requires one or two downshifts to get the car moving. I would DEFINITELY recommend Acura giving this car at least one more gear if not two for economy and power. The ride can be a little bumpy at times, and steering a bit vague. Also, the plastics used feel a bit hollow compared to a BMW or Audi and are fairly hard.