Used 2009 Acura TSX Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Acura TSX Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Acura TSX Sedan

View reviews for a specific TSX model:

TSX Review for Used Car Seekers - Check Oil Issue
By Paul

2009 Acura TSX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I am the original owner a black, 4cyl TSX with 6 speed manual transmission. It now has 96k miles of more than half highway miles. Oddly enough, I'm more pleased with the car as it ages. Why? Because it's still performing very well, despite the expectation for an older car to start acting up. Power is good, handling is still tight, no rattles, the auto climate control is spot on. The 6 speed short shifting manual mated to a smooth clutch that doesn't buck in slow traffic is pleasure to drive. Manual lovers would like this car, and the engine is happy to rev. Fuel economy has been 30 mpg with my type of driving. This is excellent for a car with decent power.

The TSX handles pretty well in snow when mated with good all-season or winter tires. I am very happy with Continental PureContact Eco+ DWS. They drive well in snow and the traction control, when needed, works in concert with these to provide good control. I used to have Bridgestone Pole Position, which handled even better in dry and wet conditions but were horrible in snow. Surprisingly, the Continentals actually have improved fuel mileage by at least 1 mpg, as they claim.

Rear seats are more suitable for smaller people. The door opening is a little tight getting in, but the seats are very comfortable once in. Child seats are a pain to use because of the bucket shape and the closeness of the latch. Now that my kids are beyond that, we happily use the TSX for our family of 5 over our Odyssey, especially when parking will be tight.

My few issues:
Bluetooth function for the non-Nav version is clunky so I prefer to use my ear bud for making calls. I have a vent-mounted phone holder to make calls easier and to facilitate using GPS on my phone.
91 octane is tough to find so one usually has to pay for 93 octane. This is the price for getting 200 hp out of a 4 cylinder engine.
This model year had brakes that wore prematurely but that is not an issue after I replaced them with non-OEM pads.
I had to have the clutch master cylinder (small cylinder located at the clutch pedal) replaced at about 85k miles. Acura granted me a discount for this service when I complained that it was premature. The clutch is still in great shape.
Last, but not least, the engine consumes oil. Acura has extended the engine warranty to 8 yrs/125k miles. Their threshold for warranty work (changing piston rings) is burning more than 1 qt per 1000 miles. My engine consumes about 1/2 qt. I wonder if this issue occurs because people followed the maintenance minder for oil changes. I was driving 8k miles or even more before it would call for oil changes. I think following that was a mistake. I'm living with it and it does not seem to be getting worse now that I change oil at 5k miles.

I expect my TSX to continue to age well, and plan to pass it down to my kids when it's about 10 yrs old with 150k+ miles.

Excellent value
By ne_ct_guy

2009 Acura TSX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I've enjoyed my 2009 Acura and am now considering buying out the lease at lease end.
This car is an amazing value for the price; great exterior appearance, superb handling (I have the 6 speed manual tranny), and comfortable seating for 4 adults.
Edmunds kind of pinged the quality of the interior, but I find that the textured materials used on the dash and the leather in the seating to being close to BMW 3-series vehicles.
The only real issue I have found is that there has always been a high frequency noise that comes from the car always at 3200 - 3400 RPM.
It isn't terribly loud, but it is there and can be a little annoying.
The dealer has told me that it is nothing to worry about tho.

Handling/performance, fuel economy (I avg 28.3 w/both highway and city driving), appearance. I have 45k miles on this vehicle and have had no major issues.

Address the high pitched noise generated from 3200 - 3400 RPM.

12 month 25Kmiles update
By highmiles

2009 Acura TSX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Have owned the car for a year, 25K miles. Average MPG 28 (mostly Hiway, with local thrown in.) Reliability is great, maintenance costs about $400, all oil changes at 5K intervals. Dealer and manual says I can go longer. Have occasional problems with bluetooth. Either phone or car, not sure which. Have gotten used to sharp cutoff headlight pattern, though it is still disconcerting on hilly roads. Car is very comfortable on long drives.

Manual Transmission, gas mileage, handling. Seats are comfortable. Storage on console for EZPass, etc. Still on original brakes 90% wear left.

Key fob is annoying, opens in your pocket. AWD option. better display on console under glare. for 4 cylinder engine, up HP and torque so as to lower RPM's at speed.

9 month update
By Acura_Numbr_2

2009 Acura TSX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Have had car for 9 mos. 17.5K miles averaging 29-31 mpg. I change oil every 5K no matter what oil life indicator says. Car runs fine, and fast enough to get a couple of warnings. 6 speed and clutch work fine. Two complaints. 3400 RPM @ 80mph cruising is a little high, my 2000 TL does about 2150RPM at same speed. I still have trouble with headlight pattern, sharp cutoff of light field makes hills exciting when driving in mountain passes.

Mileage, reliability, driveability.

Little more power, lower RPM at speed, change the headlight pattern.

6 month update
By highmiles

2009 Acura TSX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Have owned 6M TSX since Jan 1 and put over 12Kmiles on. Pluses - high mileage, pretty fun to drive, initial reliability is as high as I expected. Minuses - low end torque is light, revs about 3100RPM at 72-75mph. My old 2000TL does 2100@80mph. Other - not sure console display sometimes hard to read, CD slot is difficult to manage at highway speed. I am uncomfortable with long service intervals and change my oil at 5K no matter what oil life indicator says. Overall, good dependable, fun to drive car, would definitely consider another one in a few years.

Manual transmission, gas mileage, reasonable handling, brakes seem pretty solid.

Lower revs at speed, brighter or different console display. AWD option at some point?