Used 2009 Acura TSX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Acura TSX Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Acura TSX Sedan

View reviews for a specific TSX model:

TSX Review for Used Car Seekers - Check Oil Issue
By Paul

2009 Acura TSX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I am the original owner a black, 4cyl TSX with 6 speed manual transmission. It now has 96k miles of more than half highway miles. Oddly enough, I'm more pleased with the car as it ages. Why? Because it's still performing very well, despite the expectation for an older car to start acting up. Power is good, handling is still tight, no rattles, the auto climate control is spot on. The 6 speed short shifting manual mated to a smooth clutch that doesn't buck in slow traffic is pleasure to drive. Manual lovers would like this car, and the engine is happy to rev. Fuel economy has been 30 mpg with my type of driving. This is excellent for a car with decent power.

The TSX handles pretty well in snow when mated with good all-season or winter tires. I am very happy with Continental PureContact Eco+ DWS. They drive well in snow and the traction control, when needed, works in concert with these to provide good control. I used to have Bridgestone Pole Position, which handled even better in dry and wet conditions but were horrible in snow. Surprisingly, the Continentals actually have improved fuel mileage by at least 1 mpg, as they claim.

Rear seats are more suitable for smaller people. The door opening is a little tight getting in, but the seats are very comfortable once in. Child seats are a pain to use because of the bucket shape and the closeness of the latch. Now that my kids are beyond that, we happily use the TSX for our family of 5 over our Odyssey, especially when parking will be tight.

My few issues:
Bluetooth function for the non-Nav version is clunky so I prefer to use my ear bud for making calls. I have a vent-mounted phone holder to make calls easier and to facilitate using GPS on my phone.
91 octane is tough to find so one usually has to pay for 93 octane. This is the price for getting 200 hp out of a 4 cylinder engine.
This model year had brakes that wore prematurely but that is not an issue after I replaced them with non-OEM pads.
I had to have the clutch master cylinder (small cylinder located at the clutch pedal) replaced at about 85k miles. Acura granted me a discount for this service when I complained that it was premature. The clutch is still in great shape.
Last, but not least, the engine consumes oil. Acura has extended the engine warranty to 8 yrs/125k miles. Their threshold for warranty work (changing piston rings) is burning more than 1 qt per 1000 miles. My engine consumes about 1/2 qt. I wonder if this issue occurs because people followed the maintenance minder for oil changes. I was driving 8k miles or even more before it would call for oil changes. I think following that was a mistake. I'm living with it and it does not seem to be getting worse now that I change oil at 5k miles.

I expect my TSX to continue to age well, and plan to pass it down to my kids when it's about 10 yrs old with 150k+ miles.

Don't think twice just buy it!
By Mark Wilmes

2009 Acura TSX Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my TSX used in early 2014. My company moved from the suburbs to downtown so my commute changed from an easy 10 minutes on a turnpike to 20-30 minutes of Indy 500 with crack-ups and rescue vehicles included, and I'm so glad I bought the TSX instead of some larger sedans or SUV's I was looking at. My wife has a 2011 Pilot EXL so the need for another SUV really wasn't there anyway. We've had or still have six Honda's and two Acura's plus Mazdas and Nissans and some Fords. I'm getting over 25 MPG even with all the stops and starts and racing that I'm doing. I use the paddle shifters ALL THE TIME and it's so cool to pass or get around someone and then to accelerate and just get away from them (even within the speed limit, the acceleration is awesome). I did read the reviews about geting the 6 cylinder if you can find one, and I did test drive a 4 cylinder and then a 6 cylinder, back to back and the 6 is spectacular. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger, and the color of the 6 cylinder was white and I prefer black. The paddle shifters make the 4 cylinder a blast. This car is very fun to drive. It's easy to find a 4 cylinder in the color combination you want, and when you do, just buy it! I got mine with 64,000 miles on it and I'm at 104,000 after 20 months. I'll probably take it to 135,000 miles and then sell it and get a 2013 or 2014. This car is great for getting around in the parking garage, and my 17-year old son and his buddies think it's pretty slick!

Great car to drive, lasts well. Still some minor i
By yitz1

2009 Acura TSX Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I love my TSX. It's roomy in the front and handles great. It has a lot of good standard features. It has a lot of pizzaz for a 4 cyl. The main problem I have with it are unexpected expenses. I just had to buy a new tire and rim for the second time after hitting a pothole ($1000!). Stupid low profile tires. Unless you live in a place with few potholes, this can be a big problem. Also, it a little plastic piece around the side mirror broke. I figured it would be under $25 to replace. No such luck. They don't sell just that piece. I had to buy a whole new mirror for over $300.
Addendum: Well, 8 years and running. Still rides good, though a bit rough. No real mechanical problems. Tires and rims still fragile and a problem. Repairs still expensive.

Bitter Sweet
By bstern92

2009 Acura TSX Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The exterior design is very sporty and clean.
The chunky 5 spoke rims are hideous. The driver's seat is very comfortable and I love the lumbar adjustment, but I don't get why they don't have it on the passenger seat. The passenger seat is almost unbearable to sit in, compared to the driver's seat. The rear seats have absolutely no leg room and your foot gets caught under the front seat, when getting out of the car. Leather is cheap. The driver's seat is already cracking. The steering wheel has a very cozy feel to it. The car's steering is responsive and the 2.4l provides adequate power. The car is amazing on the highway. I would probably not get another. I'm considering a 2013 nissan Maxima

None

Better quality leather. Heated telescopic steering wheel. Nicer wheels. lumbar adjustment on both front seats. Cooled seats. Air conditioning vents for the back seat. Aux input on dash, not arm rest compartment. When using aux, display the artist and song. Get rid of the open channels by the hood cowl. Mice climb in and make a home in the cabin air filter.

What a waste, Honda.
By thr33wayclimax

2009 Acura TSX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I don't exactly understand the difference between this car and the Accord, other than this one is more expensive and smaller.

Read the magazine reviews, they are all correct, terrible steering, too much roadnoise, SLOW. 201 hp in with a 5 speed auto??

NOT A PREMIUM CAR. Cheap leather on the seats, plastic door handles.

The best feature, SAFETY, I crashed mine at about 45 mph and it kept me safe, maybe it was the cars way of apologizing for the utter failure this car was? Totaled and it was the best thing I ever did, sad to say. Acura and Honda need to get it together. I was a loyal fan of them, not after this and my RSX.

Crash Safety, HID's....thats it. Smooth underpowered engine. its refined though.

Better interior materials. No upgrade from a honda. Better driving dynamics, if not improve the ride quality. Reduce road noise, and NOT with active noise cancellation, use real sound deadening materials, don't be cheap, Honda.